Safety for Women in Tunisia

Comments

• edited 8:05AM
    Hi Jan,

Tunisia in January is cool depending on where you will travel. where I live in the north of the country it gets really cold but further south near the desert it is really, really cold! so make sure that you have plenty of warm clothes with you when you come. tunisia is a very safe country, the people are friendly and hospitable. However, be careful travelling by yourself. If you have the opportunity to have someone with you then I would do it. In the smaller villages and cities the language can be a problem unless you have French and/or Arabic. In the larger cities you will find the touristique areas have some English speakers. As a word of caution - Tunisian men are charming!!

Don't be afraid, come to my wonderful Tunisia and enjoy it!
    Lesley
    Hi Kata,

Mabrouk - you will have no problems. I am married to a Tunisian (muslim) and I am not a Muslim and I have no worries here at all.

I hope you have a great wedding and a wonderful life together.

Lesley
    Hi Nathan,

I think you and your girlfriend should not have too many problems. Always my advice is if questioned say that you are married but did not realise you had to bring your marriage certificate, but to be honest, in the tourist hotels in the tourist areas, foreigners are very rarely hassled about this. I'll give some thought to your other questions and get back to you asap.
    Hi to the Guest tunisian living in US. I'm an Australian married to a Tunisian and now living in Tunisia - Bizerte. Love it here although some days the 'stare' can get a bit much and I'm sure you know what I'm talking about! did you have a good Ramadan - it was pretty low key here as it was hot, hot hot but the Eid was great. Now we look forward to the next.

Regards,
    Lesley
    Eldest son aged 8 has 'mental and behaviour problems' he takes a class B drug for this, i have a covering letter from the GP, do you think this will be ok? don't think a licence is required as we are only going for a week.

Going to Skanes, Sahara Beach next week - don't know to take Euros or Sterling travellers cheques. which will have cheapest commissionn and what can I expect as an exchange rate?
    Ozzy - as long as you have the letter from the GP it will be fine. I have never been questioned about any medication I have brought in. Travellers cheques can be problematic here - better to bring cash if you can - cash is king in this country. Commission wise I don't know but the Post office will charge probably more than the bank and the ex rate is not as good. Look at x-rates.com for up to date ex rates and you will see what foreign currency will buy TD
    Lesley - I just want to thank you for the incredibly valuable and interesting responses you provide. I have never thought of a visit to Tunisia before but am rapidly starting to plan! Thanks again, Dave
    David - thank you! We would be happy to see you in Tunisia. Really it is a beautiful country.

Happy travels
    Lesley
    Hi Lesley! I´m going to Skanes nexy monday.. How´s the weather there? I would like so much to get a tan.. do you know if the hotel (el louradi skanes) is far from Monastir, from something to visit? Thanks. Kiss from Portugal
    Hi Silvia and welcome to Tunisia! The weather has started to become cooler but it is still warm enough to get a golden glow.........but right now it has been extremely windy and quite wet but that is in the North where I am, I'm not sure about Skanes. I'll have a look at the weather. I don't know the hotel you are staying at but you it takes only about 30 minutes to get to Monastir from Skanes. You can use the train or the louages which are very cheap.

Bouza from Tunis
    Hi

Myself, partner and 7mnth old son are travelling to hotel marhalba palace on the 22nd of nov, i was wondering on what it will be like or my baby i.e to sterilies bottles and for food nappies etc, anybody any advice? Also will it be warm??

Thanks

Ashley xx
    Hi Ashley - I'm not sure what city you are travelling to? I don't know the Hotel Marhaba Palace. You should have no problems travelling with your baby - you can buy disposal nappies at any of the supermarkets here. You should probably bring some jars of food with you for the baby..........although I am quite sure you can also buy this at the supermarket (I've never actually looked for this myself). The restaurants and the hotels will be more than obliging and will want to help you as much as possible. Most things here are cooked using tomato paste and harissa (hot chilli) but if you ask they can make some food without the spice. Depending on where you are it could be cool. the weather here has changed now and we are heading towards winter. We now have temperatures ranging from low to mid 20c. But getting quite cold in the evening.

I hope you enjoy your vacation!
    hi there, please could you warn females visiting tunisia to be careful of the practise of "BEZNESS" As you will probably all ready know its the practise of coming on to women with the intension of fleecing them for money and or getting a visa into the eu
    they use scams ie the army scam to get money sent to them once the lady is home, she thinking she has fallen in love and found the man of her dreams
    on;y to find out that he has others sending money thinking they are the ones as well
    thanking you
    Hey guest - are you a Tunisian? You are right about the bezness and the money scams and there are some very sad stories out there, but not all Tunisian men are like this. (I've heard that animators are the worst). this happens in other countries as well, big scams at the moment in Senegal where there are even instructions on the internet for the men. All women should be careful about their hearts no matter what country they are in. But Tunisian is beautiful and everyone should visit
    Lesley is your company yet designing packages for Tunisia? Would the last 2 weeks of May be hot enough for a beach holiday? I like temps around 30 C. Cheers. Peter
    Hi Peter - we are just now putting packages together. May is not the hottest month but very nice for a holiday on the beach. If you would care to email me I can put something together for you.
    Hi-

I have a good friend who lives in Tunis and is trying to convince me to move in with her for a few months (we are both American) she is a teacher and I am currently an au pair in Madrid. I would be in Tunis from mid Jan-mid March and am wondering about the pass times, nightlife, safety, etc...all the things that go into making the decision to move. I would like to try it, but at the same time it is an expensive and serious move so any advice or knowledge you could provide would be great!

Thanks!
    MT
    MT - only you can decide whether you want to have the experience of living here or not. Tunisia is a very safe country but like everywhere else you always need to be aware of your surroundings and your personal belongings. For a foreigner with foreign currency it is very cheap to live here. Coffee bars, nightclubs etc are open in Tunis until very very late. there is much to see in and around Tunis but in the time you have you could certainly explore further afield. The desert is a beautiful place and you should see the Berbere homes in Tataouine and Matmata. The beaches are beautiful but not at the time of year you would be here. It is cold here in winter but not like in the US. Very rare to have snow as it is a mediterannean climate. Tunisia is now my country and I love it very much.........
    Hi
    Im going to Port El Kantoui with a friend for a week at the end of feb. What is the weather like, as i have read on other websites that it is rainy and cloudy or sunny in the early 20C? We are looking for a relaxing holiday with a warm temperature to do a bit of sun bathing.

thanks
    Hi

My boyfriend and i are hoping to go to Tunisia next year.
    I am 17 and he is 19, is that acceptable in most hotels?
    Also will we need to have any vaccines or take any medication before we travel?

Thanks

Emma
    RC -hate to disappoint you but February here is the middle of winter - forget the sunbathing!! Sorry, but it can get quite cold and the wind can be quite fierce along with rain. But, you can still have a great time here even in winter
    Emma,

As long as you can prove that you have the funds available to pay for your hotel then there should not be a problem. the problem you will have though is staying in the same room. Look at my other posts and you will see the advice I have given others.
    No vaccines are required here and no you don't need to take any medication.
    I have received an email from Hiren, but unfortunately the replies are being returned. In the hope that you may see this here is my reply:

Hi Ren,

Mabrouk (congratulations) and welcome soon to Tunisia. This is a wonderful country and I am sure you and your new wife are going to enjoy it very much. I have embedded my answers into your text. If there is anything else you want to know just email me and I’ll be happy to answer as best I can.

Enjoy your time here,

Lesley

hi lesley i need some advice am going on holiday to tunisia.i got your add from travelforum these are the questions and concerns i have

*can u trust the safety boxes in hotels would it be better to carry my passport and cash with me all the time?

Yes – you can trust the safety boxes but you should carry your passport at all times. It is mandatory to have ID but if you have an ID card that would be ok.

*am getting married soon and going on holiday to tunisia (skanes) and my wife and my name will not be changed in the passport as we won't have enough time to send them away to get changed when we get married and i hear its a problem to stay in a hotel if your not married?

No – not a problem. Tourists rarely get asked if they are married, but if you want to make sure then bring your marriage certificate with you. Skanes is a very touristique area and you will not encounter any problems

*am going on the second week of january 2010 whats the weather like there

To us the weather is very, very cold but the temperatures are not as they are in Europe, however, you will need warm clothes especially for the nights when the temperatures are really cold

*are there quite alot cliffs nearby from in or from skanes to do cliff diving?

I am not sure you can do cliff diving here. Does that mean diving into the water? If so, I think that would not be advisable here, but I am sure the hotel will be able to advise you. The water is getting quite cold now so not many people are venturing in!

*am really concerned about my wife to be's safety i hear guys r really pushy even if there with a partner i dont wona get into a fight or anything

Yes, the men here can be pushy but it’s nothing to be overly concerned about. Your wife will be very, very safe! Treat everything with a good dose of humour and all will be well. The men will look – the women too, but that is a national pastime here. Everyone looks at everyone else. They will not talk to your wife, or approach her or anything else when she is with you.

thank u so much lesley i tried asking for help on the website i signed up but couldnt figure out how to get in touch with you through there
    have a great day

Again - I hope you will enjoy your time in Tunisie and I am sure you will want to return.
    hi Lesley,salam alaeyki ,i think that you are able to answar to my son am
    hi lesley,i forgot to wish you a happy new year 2010. bye Habib
    Alekum salam Habib - and thank you for your NY wishes. We had a fine night although it is quiet here, not like in other parts of the world.

Now for you son - is he living in tunisia or USA? If he is coming back with his girlfriend, inch'allah, I don't see a problem. As a US passport holder she can have a visa for up to 4 months without paying. As for the resident this may be more complicated. She must be living in Tunisia and she applies at the local police station to her residence. If you are in Tatouine (which is wonderful, have good friends there) then she must go there. A temporary resident card will be issued for 3 months and all she has to do is purchase a special TD10 stamp from the post office as payment. This will eventually elapse and it can take another few months (up to 1 year) for a second temporary resident ID card which is for 2 years. After that she can apply for permanent resident status. However, I'm not sure that if she is not married to your son whether she can have residency. I'll try to find out for you, but if you or your son can give me any further details then I can perhaps answer you better.

Ask me as many questions as you like and I try to answer them all inch'allah

Bislemma
    chokran lesley for the quick answar(excuse my very bad english,i speak french and arabic ..Now i am working in france "PARIS")

For my son he is living in tunisia (tataouine)his girlfriend will come soon in april from usa .she wants to live in tunisia and be married with him.
    thank you Lesley i'll give the link to jessica and she can have you directly
    Habib salam aleyki.
    Afwan Habib - I live in Tunisia and I am learning Arabic and your English is fine (much better than my Arabic) I will be happy to be direct with Jessica.
    Hi, me and a friend have just booked a two week holiday in August at a hotel in Hammamet. We are both 19. Just a few questions we'd like to have answered honestly by someone who knows the place:

1) After reading over some previous post the issue of clothing whilst away from the hotel has come up a few times. Usually on holiday I would wear a bikini with perhaps an above the knee dress, or shorts and sleeveless t-shirt over the top for when we leave the hotel (for lunch, shopping, exploring etc). Could you tell me whether this sort of thing would be appropriate or should we consider things like 3/4 length trousers, maxi dresses, tops covering our shoulders?

2) I'm a bit wary of what i've read about shopkeepers grabbing people to get them to look in their shops, i'm sure my friend would be able to deal with this but I think I would feel quite scared as it will just be us two on our own. Is is advisable to visit shops, especially the Medina, during the day rather than in the evening?

3) Do you know if there are many watersports available in Hammamet, for example paragliding?

4) What sort of price could we expect to pay for some of the organised excursions available?

5) How would you describe Hammamet as a resort, is it family orientated, couples, young people?

6) Lastly, is there anything you would advise us to see or do while we are in Tunisia that wouldn't be too expensive? As we are there for 2 weeks we would like to do as much as possible.
    Hello K - I am entering my comments within your text to make it easy for me:: but I want to say straight off please be careful. The hotels employ animators (all men) who prey on foreign women of all ages. It's called "bizness" don't be fooled by the charm, romance and sweet words - they are all (for the most part) love rats!! of course if you want to have a fling then of course that's your prerogative but I just wanted to tell it like it is straight off.

1) After reading over some previous post the issue of clothing whilst away from the hotel has come up a few times. Usually on holiday I would wear a bikini with perhaps an above the knee dress, or shorts and sleeveless t-shirt over the top for when we leave the hotel (for lunch, shopping, exploring etc). Could you tell me whether this sort of thing would be appropriate or should we consider things like 3/4 length trousers, maxi dresses, tops covering our shoulders?

Hammamet is a tourist area - however, the staff who work in the hotels are locals and majority men. You will see many women roaming about showing lots of their bits and then they get annoyed when they get hassled!! My advice - you are coming to Tunisia to enjoy yourself so pay some attention to the culture. Bikini is fine for the hotel pool and private beach but when you leave the hotel then perhaps wear a longer skirt, pants tops that cover your arms to the elbow. You will find that you will still be stared at (it's a national hobby here) but you won't get nearly as much hassle.

2) I'm a bit wary of what i've read about shopkeepers grabbing people to get them to look in their shops, i'm sure my friend would be able to deal with this but I think I would feel quite scared as it will just be us two on our own. Is is advisable to visit shops, especially the Medina, during the day rather than in the evening?

Go during the day unless you can find a nice couple to hang out with at night. My advice - use the death stare and ignore the hassle.

3) Do you know if there are many watersports available in Hammamet, for example paragliding?

Yes, you can do all the watersports here

4) What sort of price could we expect to pay for some of the organised excursions available?

From very cheap to very expensive. It depends on what you want to do and where you want to go. The hotels can organise heaps of day tours and there are travel agencies who can also offer you excursions.

5) How would you describe Hammamet as a resort, is it family orientated, couples, young people?

All of the above

6) Lastly, is there anything you would advise us to see or do while we are in Tunisia that wouldn't be too expensive? As we are there for 2 weeks we would like to do as much as possible.

Take the local transport to Tunis (the capitol) for the day - go to the old city and wander around the souk. See Carthage and the ruins of the Roman period.

Lots and lots of things to do - Tataouine with Berber cave houses, Matmata, but they all take time and are some distance from you.

I do hope you will enjoy your time - one thing I did forget to mention that in August we have Ramadan, I think it begins this year on the 10th but we won't know until much closer to the date. This means that some things may be closed or will operate on fewer hours than during the rest of the year. And it is hot and you must be very kind and understanding as we must not eat/drink/smoke etc. from around 4.00 a.m. until the sun sets, so most of us tend to sleep a lot during the day and then stay awake during the night.
This discussion has been closed.