Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines:
Check out our country and city guides at

visa question

Can a person living and working in the UK on a permanent working visa ( still classed as a Jamaican citizen) return back to Jamaica for more then six weeks, and then return to the uk?  


  • And when bringing a child over from Jamaica at what age is the child no longer classed as a dependent child? 
  • edited March 2014
    Firstly there is no such thing as a permanent working visa in the UK. Do you mean you have Indefinite Leave to remain?

    If you have ILR you can stay outside of the UK up to 2 years if you do not come back before 2 years are up you will loose your ILR. If you do have Indefinite Leave to remain why not apply for a British passport and you wont have these worries.

    A dependent child is a child under the age of 18 years old. Over 18 years of age your children are adults.
    Applying for a child under the age of 18 to enter the UK is a very difficult immigration matter, you need to take legal advice.
  • ok thank you

  • I have a 45 visa in pi i am from USA it exprires april 12 my flight is on the 14th what do i have to do
  • American citizens are granted a six month visa upon arrival at a UK airport.

    In UK law there is no such visa as a "45 visa in pi" What I do know , is that if your visa expires before you travel you may not be allowed back into the country that granted the visa. If you overstay two days after your visa expires you may be refused entry next time.
  • Hi there
    I am a student in Scotland,I have a visa for UK for 1 year.I planned a journey to France and booked a ticket to France via Dublin. I didn't realise that I might need a visa for Dublin.It is a transit flight,I will be staying at the airport for 6 hours.Will I still need a visa for Dublin?
    Thank you
  • Ireland has a "visa waiver programme" that enables people who hold a valid UK visa to enter Ireland without applying for an Irish visa, so you should be ok.
  • Hi there I have a question
    What's the best way for applying for a British passport I have live in the UK for 12 years?
    Any suggestions guys
  • BSH are you legally in the UK and if so do you have indfinite leave to remain? if you do have Indefinite Leave to Remain what year was it granted? Once I know this, I can give you the correct information on British citizenship
  • Yes am legally in the UK my indifinate visa was granted in 2008
  • edited December 2014
    The first step now is check if you have ever been arrested, given a custodial sentence , community service, fine or caution and no such matters outstanding. Check page 17 of the AN booklet ( link below)

    Can you tell me the country you are from as this will have an impact on what English language qualifications you need
  • I have never been caution or arrested as am not into crime I'm from Chile trying to live a better life after seeing my dad hurting my mum and I speak write and read in English
  • Next you need to pass a language course level B1 minimum, unless you have University Degree that was taught in English. See page 11 of the AN booklet , I gave the link above. You must also take the Life in the UK test

    When you have these English language qualifications in place you can fill in form AN the fee payable to the Home Office is £906. You will need two British people who are not relatives to sign and support your application.

    Good luck, I wish you all the best. 
Sign In or Register to comment.