Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines:
Check out our country and city guides at

How long can I stay in the UK with an Irish Visa.?

edited March 2014 in Europe
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, I need some help. I'm Japanese nationality. I've got a working holiday visa for a year for Ireland from Jan/2cd/2014 to the same date 2015. And my boyfriend is living in the UK so I'm visiting him in the UK at the moment. I only planning to stay in the UK for 3months, which will be until April 5th. And I'm thinking going back to Dublin after 3weeks time from now (April 5th) But I read something on the internet. It says you can't travel the common area for more than 3 or 6months. Common area (Ireland & UK) I was wondering if it's okay for me to go back to Dublin after staying in the UK for 3months, and I also want to come back to the UK again in July, I wonder if that's all okay?

thank you so much for your help!


  • Your working holiday visa is meant for you to live and work in Ireland not as an easy visa free way to live in the UK. 90 days is the maximum time allowed to stay under common travel area rules. Cant your boyfriend visit you in Ireland?

    However Japanese citizens can enter the Republic of Ireland and UK without a visa - it is granted at the airport. 
  • Hi Alethia,

    First, I would like to thank you for your answer, He can only come for a few days to visit me in Dublin. We thinking about to get married and apply for a marriage visa. But unfortunately we don't meet the financial requirements, which you probably knows about it, 18,600 pounds per a year or 62,500pounds saving. So I got a year visa in Ireland , I have visited the UK 4 times and he visited me in Japan 2times as well.

    So I will leave the UK next month to Dublin or back to Japan(not decided yet)

    If I want to come back to the UK in July for another 3months, it that allowed?

    I have hear something like 90days in 90days out,

    Thanks again for your help!

  • Hi Kaori

    As I  said before Japanese citizens are granted a visa at the airport so you should have no problem in July to visit your boyfriend.

    There is a way you can marry and come to the UK its called the "Surinder Singh" route. If your boyfriend could marry in the Republic of Ireland  and then he lives and works in Ireland for six months, you are allowed to apply to enter the UK under European Union rules and do not need to satisfy the financial rules.

    Let me know if I can assist you further
  • Hi Alethia,

    Thanks a lot for your help. We will think of it.

    Best Regards,kaori
Sign In or Register to comment.