Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines:
Check out our country and city guides at

Does my wife need a Schengen visa ?

My Thai wife is now a British citizen but we have not had the time to apply for a UK passport.

We have booked to go on a cruise to Zeebrugge in October.

Does she need a Schengen Visa or will it be OK for her with her Thai passport and British citizen certificate ?


  • Until your wife has her British passport she will travel on her Thai passport and therefore needs a Schengen visa. Her citizenship certificate is only valid in the UK it is the passport that defines nationality. 
    You have plenty of time to apply for a British passport as it takes just as long to apply for a Schengen visa.
  • Alethia is right. There is plenty of time to get a British passport for your wife before your cruise.
Sign In or Register to comment.