Traveling with antibiotics

edited July 2009 in World Wide
I am doing a round the world trip starting next month, taking in mostly "third-world" places like india, thailand, philippines, brazil, mexico and egypt. I have been advised to take a course of all purpose anti-biotics for when i get a bacterial infection or stomach condition that won;t quit.

Has any one tried this or have opinions on being prescribed antibiotics before actually getting sick? if so what do you recommend? Thanks for any advice recevied...

Comments

• edited 7:21PM
    You will get sick at some point on your travels and a bacterial infection / stomach condition is the most likely scenario. You will need treatment, and may have to use a local doctor. This person may be competent and expert in local diseases, or he may not be. Whenever i traveled in the places you mentioned I took with me a general purpose antibiotic and when my condition lasted longer than 48 hours I took them with great effect.

Sorry, I can't recall the name or brand of drug...

Somene with medical training would not advise this approach though!
    Walrus - David's advice is sound. You should always take an all purpose antibiotic when travelling in the tropics or under developed countries. You should speak with your local GP and I am sure he/she will have some advice for medications/vaccinations in the areas you are visiting. You may also need to consider anti-malarial medicines before you leave home.
    Hello,

Yep. The advice above is definitely good. It's even more important to carry something with you during treks or visits to remote places, as there may not be doctor available within a couple of days walk! The best thing to do is ask your GP what he/she recommends. You'll find that you hear all kinds of clashing health related advice before and during your trip, so a visit to the doctor is the best option for some real authority on the issue.

I can also recommend taking some dioralyte on your trip. This is brilliant for replacing essential salts and sugars if you get hit by a stomach bug (which pretty much everyone does at some point...).

Wishing you a happ healthy trip!

Bryony