Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines: http://forum.wordtravels.com/discussion/17906/word-travels-guidelines-for-forum-posts/
Check out our country and city guides at www.wordtravels.com

What to do if your Schengen Visa gets denied?

Today I got my visa application denied from Spain Embassy. Can I apply from a different schengen state embassy? Is my denied visa going to effect my application in a different embassy? If not and I get the visa. Can I still visit Spain with the visa?
Tagged:

Comments

• Once granted, a Schengen visa will grant you access to any country in the Schengen zone, so yes, if you get it from another country you will be able to visit Spain. The question is why did Spain deny your visa? Because before you apply to another country, you want to be sure you don't get denied for the same reason...
  • edited December 2014
    They said it was due to the documents was not reliable. I work for a big well reputed company. I gave them all the documents they required. Letter from my employer, confirmed purchased ticket, bank statements, travel insurance, hotel booking etc. I don't know where it went wrong.
  • Did you include the original documents and a copy of each in your application? Sounds odd.
  • edited December 2014
    They didn't ask for original copies. This is what was written in their website.
    Kindly submit your supporting documents, without staples in the documents, in the following order: 

1.Valid Passport (Period of validity of the passport should exceed that of the visa by three months)
    2.One Application form dully completed and signed by the applicant, + two photographs with a white background.
    3.Copy of flight reservation
    4.Copy of insurance policy
    5.Proof of accommodation
    6.Invitation letter, copy of host’s passport, police registration (when staying with family/friends in Spain)
    7.Employer’s/pension/retirement/university/school letter
    8.Copy full/unabridged birth certificate (minor children), Parental consent (if needed)
    9.One Copy of the passport minus the blank pages & copies previous Schengen visas (if not in current passport) -(Only biographical page of the passport along with all Resident permits)
    10.Bank statements for last 6 months
  • Now past is past. Kindly advice me what I can do now and would be more effective. I have bought my ticket and travel insurance already. Please :(
  • If you provided all that information I can't tell you why they declined you. The application may be slightly different for the next Schengen country you try to apply to, so read the application carefully - don't just send in the same stuff you did for Spain. If your flights to Spain are already booked I would suggest applying to wherever you apply on the basis that you are flying in and out of Spain but spending the majority of your time in the country you are applying to. I say this because the rule is that you must apply to whichever country in the Schengen zone you are entering first or spending the most time in. If your accommodation, flights etc all reveal your main destination to be Spain, you run the risk that they may tell you to apply there for your visa. Having said that, provided the visa is granted by a Schengen country, you should be able to stay in Spain the whole holiday should you so desire.
  • edited December 2014
    Thanks Ella for this information. Everything you said is clear to me. I don't mind changing my ticket booking to the destination where I will be applying for the visa. The only doubt I have is that getting my visa denied today, can I still apply in another embassy tomorrow? Isn't this going to effect my application in the other embassy? I guess the system is all linked right? Plus I have a stamp on my passport. Not a refusal stamp. It's just a stamp which was like marked by the embassy so that if my visa was approved they to put it there. But still it acts as a refusal stamp because there is nothing on it. This will be my last query to you. I have taken so much of your time. Thanks a lot!
  • I'm afraid I don't really know the answer to that... I don't think the system's are directly linked, but I do seem to recall being asked for details of any failed visa applications in my last application to a Schengen country. I do think that each country evaluates applications completely independently. If there is a section about failed former applications just say that your Spanish visa was refused due to insufficient documentation. They will then assume you have now gathered all the necessary documents. I can't be sure though. Good luck!
  • Thank you so much Ella! Keep me in your prayers so that I don't get denied in the 2nd time.
  • Hi Madrid,
    We are currently in the same situation like you. My visa got rejected from Greek Embassy. We have submitted all the documents and have cross verified multiple times. Would u pls advice what did you do? Did you reapply from another country or did you apply again through Spain only?
    Seeking ur kind response
  • edited April 2016
    It's very simple, read the specific reasons your Visa was rejected, correct them, then reapply.

Do not hop around applying to different countries thinking that you'll magically slip through.

Good luck.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • I am a seafarer and I was planning to visit Rome on the 1st June.

Unfortunately, my visa application got refused by the Italian Embassy last week because the port agent did not follow the correct procedure in time. They just put a refusal stamp and a thick letter C on my application.

I applied instead for a visa at the Spanish Embassy, submitting all my supporting documents, and I plan to enter via the Port of Barcelona on the 10th June.

I am quite nervous right now, and I just want to ask if the refusal of my Italian visa could affect my Spanish visa?
  • @ ping
    Yes the first refusal could affect your application to the Italian embassy.
    However if you have all the correct documents this time you should be OK.
  • @Alethia
    According to my agency all my documents are good.. It is just that the port agent did not comply or verify right away so the italian embassy just decided to refuse my visa application.
  • @ping, I'm not sure exactly what happened with the port agent, but the fact that you were denied a visa by Italy won't mean you can't get a visa from Spain, provided your application is in order.
  • I applied for France in December which they denied me visa with the excuse that my documents were not reliable even though I provided all the required documents now I applied for a student visa in Malta via Italy embassy in may10 I collected my passport with my credentials yesterday with a stamp and a C written on it this time they didn't give me any excuse to back up why I wasn't given visa. Please help me.
  • @aramide
    There are no "excuses" by the Schengen authorities. There are reasons in law as to why you are refused and there is no refusal that states "your documents are not reliable"
    You have no right to a schengen visa a or a visa for any country for that matter, if a country wants to refuse a visa they can.

As for your student visa the government of Malta does not give reasons for refusals. If your visa has been refused you can appeal. Your appeal may be submitted within 30 days of the refusal. A letter of reconsideration needs to be sent to the nearest Embassy of Malta in for a review of your application by the Central Visa Unit in Malta. If your application is reconsidered positively, a new application needs to be submitted and the visa fee needs to be paid again.
  • edited June 2016
    If you provided all that information I can't tell you why they declined you. The application may be slightly different for the next Schengen country you try to apply to, so read the application carefully - don't just send in the same stuff you did for Spain. If your flights to Spain are already booked I would suggest applying to wherever you apply on the basis that you are flying in and out of Spain but spending the majority of your time in the country you are applying to. I say this because the rule is that you must apply to whichever country in the Schengen zone you are entering first or spending the most time in. If your accommodation, flights etc all reveal your main destination to be Spain, you run the risk that they may tell you to apply there for your visa. Having said that, provided the visa is granted by a Schengen country, you should be able to stay in Spain the whole holiday should you so desire.
  • edited July 2016
    I was denied a visa to Spain today, eventhough they have always granted it to me, and the reason was NOT ENOUGH FINANCIAL MEANS TO COVER THE TRIP, go figure why, since everything was paid for.
    I wonder how does the refusal this first time affect any future requests.
    by the way they didn't stamp the refusal on the passport, which was strange, for other people they usually do it.
  • @etraveller
    It is irrelevant that everything was paid for you are still required to have your own money.
    Spain requires you to have available a minimum of Euro58 per day (in equivalent currency)

This money can be in travellers cheques , bank account, cash, credit card, bank draft but must be accessible to you not someone else.

You can be granted a Schengen visa in future but you must have sufficient funds

Also you must also have travel insurance to pay for medical care in case you become ill

• Hi

My Visa application for Spain got rejected on 22 July 2016 with a reason stating that ' your intention to leave the territory of the member states before the expiry of the visa could not be ascertained'. And one more reason is the 3rd reason ' you have not provided proof of sufficient means of subsistence for the duration of the intended stay or for the return to the country of origin or residence or for the transit to a third country into which you are certain to be admitted or you are not in a position to acquire such means lawfully'. However I have submitted the bank statement of the account having around 3000 euros in the account excluding all the pre paid booking of the accommodation and the return flight to India , I was planning to travel to 3 countries including Spain for 12 days Amsterdam for 3 days and Prague 3 days.
    Could anyone put light on the reason for the refusal which I am not able to figure out.
  • edited July 2016
    @puneet
    You do not state your nationality or if you are a male or female, single or married.
    Was your accomodation and flights submitted through a travel agent with an itinerary or done on line?
    You require Euro 34 per day Netherlands
    Euro 36 per day Czech Republic
    Euro 58 per day Spain
    If you failed to show a travel itinerary from a travel agent this can be a problem.
    What about your employment and your ties to your home country, what did you show for that?
  • @Alethia

Hi,

I am from India and I am a guy and applied tourist visa for myself and wife for my honeymoon trip.

As far as accommodations are concerned I booked them online through Airbnb and I have booked internal flights in the schengen region internally myself however the tickets from India to Spain and return from Prague are booked by a travel agent.

I prepared the itenary also by myself stating the days in each country and all the flight and accomodation details.

I am working in a software firm and given the NOC on the company's letter head stating the leave duration and my employment details.
  • @puneet
    Youir minimum spend for 2 people will be over £1800 for the holiday.
    Why not book a holiday for Spain instead of complicating the issue with three days here and there. There is plenty to see for 12 days in Spain and if you wanted to travel somewhere else you could have booked flights from Spain.
    All your flights should have been booked via a travel agent. What about your wife what did you submit for her?
    AirBnB doesn't allow payment in full before arrival, it's doubtful that the Spanish governbment would accept this as a bona fide residence for your visa. You need to book a hotel through a travel agent.
  • @puneet
    are you a first time traveler?
    if yes, you need to show more proof of employment,
    1-your intention to leave the territory of the member states before the expiry of the visa could not be ascertained.
    possible reason for this:when there is no enough proof of employment or there is no enough proof of other ties to your country.
    2- you have not provided proof of sufficient means of subsistence for the duration of the intended stay or for the return to the country of origin or residence or for the transit to a third country into which you are certain to be admitted or you are not in a position to acquire such means lawfully'.
    possible reason for this:when there is no enough evidence to proof the origin of the funds in your account.since you said you have 3,000 euros in your account,which is OK for the trip.

will like to know the complete list of document you submitted.with that ALETHIA(the special one) and others can assist more.

please note:Alethia(the special one) advice should be followed.its very important.

• @Alethia

Thanks for your reply.

How does it make any difference if I have booked all the tickets by myself not through a travel agent and
    My wife is not working.

I have made the full payment to the Airbnb which they release to the owner after the visit ends, I can attach my credit cards bill if that would help.

Moreover if I attach the schengen visa copy of my elder brother as he has travelled before in 2014 to Europe and if attaching his financials would help as he is sponsoring my trip as a gift.
  • @larryblank123

Hi Larry,

I have given an NOC from my employer stating my current designation and my joining date as well. Will that not help. Please advice what more should be given? If my company's I'd card will help.

I have a property in India on my name if that shows ties to my country and my brothers financial details and his schengen visa copy as he travelled to Europe 2 years back. Moreover if my brother writes a referral letter stating that he has sponsored the trip as a gift would help.
  • @puneet
    Because your wife does not work she does not count? That is not how Schengen caseworkers see things.
    Schengen states do not accept relatives sponsoring family members unless the family member is resident in the Schengen zone
    You asked for help but you don't accept the answers you are given.
  • @Alethia

What I mean to say is my wife is not working so We have not submitted any financial details for her as I'm bearing all the expenses so only my bank statement, salary slips are submitted, for her I have submitted all the other necessary documents required apart from financial documents.

I have actually accepted the answers you have given and I would be many thankful to you for the same, however I just want to reappeal the refusal, so just wanted your guidance that what best supporting documents I can give to make my reappeal stronger. Kindly suggest as it would be financial loss for me to cancel all the bookings done as everything is not refundable so I'm actually confused :-(
  • @puneet

why will your brother sponsor you,when you have job,you are married and you also have enough funds in your account to support the trip.do not contradict your application.
    to buttress what Alethia(the special one) has said,agent hotel and flight reservation and online hotel and flight reservation for visa purpose are not the same.the agent reservation look more secure and reliable to visa officer.
    your brother visa has nothing to do with your trip.
    will like to know thecomplete list of documents you submitted.

• @puneet
    We never suggest to people that they appeal Schengen refusals as very few countries have a dedicated appeal system, it is better to reapply.
    If your wife has a bank account, land , property anything in her name or shared with another for example her mother ,you must submit those documents.
    Schengen caseworkers are aware that online rervations can be fabricated, it is less likely to be so if the bookings are through a bonafide travel agent.
    Airbnb DO NOt release the funds until you actually arrive at the property. That can be a problem
    Ask the travel agent where you booked your main flights to add your other flights to an itinerary.
    Larryblank is correct your brother has nothing to do with this trip.
  • @larryblank123 @Alethia

Thanks for the reply.

I am a first time traveller.

Actually I mentioned my brothers name because he has actually given me the funds for the trip as a gift and please correct me if my understanding is wrong if it might help in showing the evidence to prove the origin of the funds or it will contradict?

Okay I got the point , so cancelling the tickets and accomodation and again getting it booked from a travel agent will help.

I have submitted the following list of documents-

1. My and wife's passport copy of all the pages
    2. Covering letter stating the purpose of the visit.
    3. Authority letter
    4. Sworn Declaration
    5. Travel Insurance extending the 15 days after the trip ends
    6. 6 months Pay Slips
    7. 3 years ITR
    8. 3 months bank statement stamped by the bank
    9. Screenshot of leaves applied to the employer
    10. My Pan Card copy
    11. Affidavit for the proof of marriage
    12. Wedding pictures
    13. Wedding card
    14. My NOC from the employer
    15. All AirBnb bookings
    16. All the transportation bookings
    17. Visa application form for both of us.
    18. Travel itenary prepred by myself
  • edited July 2016
    @puneet
    Once again your brother is not part of this application. You do not need to say he gave you the money, just put it in your bank account.
    What is the Sworn Declaration for?
    Also what is the Letter of Authority?
    What is 3 years ITR
    Screenshot of leaves applied to manager , whats this?
    Did employers NOC state the dates you would be away and when you would return to work? Did it state your salary how long you worked there, you job title and salary.

Affidavit of proof of marriage ? You need you legal marriage certificate as issued by the
    Marriage Act 1955 not an affidavit

I have told you several times now that the travel agent where you bought your main tickets need to prepare the itinerary.
    If your wife has money land, property etc. include it, if you own land or property include it. You have not shown any strong ties to your home country.

No wonder your application was refused.

• 3 year ITR means 3 years income tax return; which is necessary for first time traveler to proof that they are not running away from tax.
    my fear for @puneet application is the funds that his brother gave him as gift for travel.if the fund is a huge fund its advisable to explain the origin of the fund.i guest that was why the Schengen caseworkers said: you have not provided proof of sufficient means of subsistence for the duration of the intended stay or for the return to the country of origin or residence or for the transit to a third country into which you are certain to be admitted or you are not in a position to acquire such means lawfully'.

i guest @puneet category fall under the last sentence which says "you are not in a position to acquire such means lawfully'. this may happen, if there is not enough evidence to proof the origin of some funds in bank account.

ALETHIA(the special one) and other experts, hope my guest is right?

• @larryblank123
    You have a valid point and one I had not considerd. the money needs to be in his bank account and Puneet can state that this was a wedding gift.
  • Schengen Story

Me and my 6 friends in 2013 applied S-visa in Netherland embassy and got rejected for due to some hotel booking and we submitted again in Greece embassy and Schenghen visa got approved. As our flight were already confirmed, we flew to Amsterdam instead of Greece. then internal flight to Greece, but our point of entry and Exit was Amsterdam.

Later in 2015 May me and my wife applied for visa in Belgium embassy(biggest mistake of my life)
    they held my passport for 60 days and rejected my application. Rejection reason is because of my previous travel to Amsterdam. Was very disappointed, As I had confirmed hotel and flight booking. I lost lot of money. after 2 week we applied in Swiss embassy with new booking and tickets, but they rejected again saying" an alert has been issued in Schenghen Information System by Belgium Embassy" that was a shame
    Other 5 friends who got rejected by Netherland embassy, all traveled again to Europe and no one had any issues. I think its my bad luck

Now I am planning to travel to Germany with my new passport; Is there any chance for rejection again?? If yes, whats the alternative to get visa...

Does any one know for how long the alert will be on Schenghen Information System

Please advice

• @showbeez
    To be put on the Schenghen Information System is a big problem and its permanent.
    http://tinyurl.com/hamjnh7
    You have efectively been banned from Europe.

You need to contact Belgium scroll down to section V on this site and ask what information they hold on you. You are going nowhere in Europe until you know what has been said about you.
    http://tinyurl.com/hntnruu
    This is one of the times when you should have appealed the Belgian decision but you did not and now its too late.
  • Thank you Alethia for you reply.

Today I went and spoke to Belgium Embassy and checked what exactly was the issue. Here are their comments

* The purpose and circumstances of the intended stay was not enough
    demonstrated
    * The person concerned has not complied with a previous visa.
    Person has both a Greek and abused a Spanish visa to the Netherlands
    To travel. Visa Shopping is not allowed. The real purpose of the trip is total
    unclear and insufficient evidence.

I have had furnished all completely paid accommodation and flight tickets. , they informed I have abused an earlier Greek visa (June 2013) to travel to Netherlands. I have booked a connection flight through KLM/Olympian Air to Athens which forced me to exit gates to take my connection flight, hence my justification.

Planning to Apply German embassy with covering letter and supporting document.

Will that help?

• @showbeez
    The Belgians speak of two visas being abused for Spain and Greece.
    What you are saying is that you have evidence that you only went through Amsterdam airport but did not stay in Holland. What about the Spanish visa?

"visa shopping" is illegal in the Schengen zone and this is what the Belgians think you did.
    All you can do put the proof you mention and a covering letter but you have a difficult time ahead
  • That's a mistake from Belgium Embassy to mention that I misused Spanish Visa, In 2011 I lost my passport from Madrid and my Embassy in Spain Issued a new passport." I guess they got that wrong.
    I just now prepared a covering letter with all supporting document to apply in German Embassy. finger crossed.
This discussion has been closed.