Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines: http://forum.wordtravels.com/discussion/17906/word-travels-guidelines-for-forum-posts/
Check out our country and city guides at www.wordtravels.com

Working holiday visa is to expire. Can I leave the country and later return as a tourist (90 days)

Hi, 

I have a U.S. passport and have been living in Ireland on a one year Working Holiday Visa. It is due to expire soon but I'm not exactly ready to say goodbye. I just need a little more time to wrap things up (with work, friends, etc). 

My question is, would I be within my legal rights to leave Ireland when I'm supposed to- that is, the day before my visa is due to expire-- then later return as a tourist obviously making sure not to go past the 90 day limit. I have not spent any time in any of the Schengen countries this year. 

Please let me know if you have any guidance on this. Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• Ireland is not a member of the Schengen group of countries so any time spent in any other country has no impact on the length of time you can stay in  Ireland.

You are quite within your rights to leave Ireland before your visa expires and return as a visitor to Ireland.
  • edited December 2014
    Hi Alethia, 

Thanks very much for your response. So could I for example head to Spain or somewhere for a few days then come back to Ireland hassle free as a tourist? 

And if Ireland is not a Schengen country then is there even a 90 day limitation or is there some other process in place?
  • You can travel any where in mainland Europe within the 90 days. Then when you reenter Ireland you should be granted a 3 month visit visa under Irish law. By the way the UK is not in the Schengen zone.