Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines: http://forum.wordtravels.com/discussion/17906/word-travels-guidelines-for-forum-posts/
Check out our country and city guides at www.wordtravels.com

Schengen visa for Fiancee

edited December 2014 in - France
Hi, my fiancee and I want to visit Paris in 2015. I am a Canadian citizen and don't need a VISA, but she lives in a country that requires one to visit EU. We have gone over the application and want to clarify one thing. All the expenses (airfare, hotel, food, transit) are going to be paid by me and she will have money to cover her personal expenses (will provide bank statements to state as much), but the vast majority is covered by me. How do we indicate this on the application for the question regarding "cost of living and traveling during the applicant's stay"? Do we check all options that apply (by him/herself, cash, prepaid accomodation, prepaid transport)? For "Other" is it correct to put Fiance is paying? Someone told me I should provide an affidavit stating that I'll be covering my fiancee's expenses, is that something I should give for the visa application?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, hope I'm not overthinking this.

Cheers

Comments

• The first thing necessary for any Visa question to be accurately addressed is to at least know the nationality of the person involved.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Its not neccesary to know the persons nationality in this instance as the original poster knows she requires a visa.

Jamesearlcash, you need to supply an affidavit and six months of your bank statements to show you can maintain your fiancee.You tick "other" as you say and put fiance paying.

Section 33 of the Schengen form is what you are referring to, If you tick, prepaid accomodation and transport you must obviously provide evidence of this along with six months of your fiancees bank statements.

You are not over thinking this,its better to have more than less with supporting documents in this instance.

• Thanks Alethia for confirming. Is it necessary for the affidavit to be notarized or is that a "nice to have" to add support for the document? As long as the names on the hotel confirmation and my supporting documents match, that shouldn't be an issue right?

• edited December 2014
    Another question about the same topic. I'm booking the flights and hotels now so the proof of travel and accommodation can be included with the application, but is it possible to make changes once the visa is granted? Specifically for the flights, my travel agent suggested waiting a bit longer to book the tickets because the fares should drop after the Christmas holidays but I don't want to wait longer than necessary. We are planning our vacation for April and applying for the visa 3 months in advance as recommended by the French embassy. In case the visa doesn't get approved we want time to make alternate plans. Right now the fare is very high and if I can get a better fare after getting the visa I would like to take advantage of that if possible.

Thanks
  • edited December 2014
    Alethia, I asked about nationality because I thought there was still a dozen countries that required Airport Transit Visas in addition to the Schengen Visa. Is that no longer the case?

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Hi Terry, thanks for bringing that up. I looked at the list you mentioned, her country does happen to be on it. However my understanding from reading the description of the Airport Transit Visa is that she would need it if her travel has a connecting flight in a Schengen country (i.e. she doesn't need to leave the airport), and is exempt if she holds a valid Schengen visa. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Cheers
    J
  • I just spoke to my lawyer and (fortunately) my info is out of date. Holding a valid Schengen Visa does indeed negate the requirement for an Airport Transit Visa.

Alethia is the real expert. I'm sure she'll confirm shortly.

Have a great trip.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Thanks Terry! Appreciate you following up.

Cheers
    J
  • Hi there, yep the Schengen visa does away withnthe need for the Airport Transit Visa. Some countries still require the Airport Transit Visa if they are only passing through the airport.

Jamesearlcash, you should not buy the tickets at if you can avoid it, simply make reservations.