Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines: http://forum.wordtravels.com/discussion/17906/word-travels-guidelines-for-forum-posts/
Check out our country and city guides at www.wordtravels.com

First time to Thailand

edited February 2015 in - Thailand
Hi Guys,
Me and a friend are looking at going to Thailand for 3 and a half weeks in July/ August and need some advice.
We don't want to go over board with spending but the budget is flexible. We would like to see as much as possible without spending most of our time in transit, like Elephant tours, temples, waterfalls, beach parties, tribal villages anything recommended.
We were thinking fly to Bangkok and spend 2 nights there, then overnight train to Chiang Mai for 5/6 nights then head down to the islands (Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Ko Tao) spending 2 nights in each island, then after to Phi Phi (3 nights) Krabi 3 nights.
We still have a few days unplanned and need help filling them, where do you recommend? Also what's Pai like?

Any advice is welcome!

Comments

• Hey,
    Sounds like you have a busy trip planned. I have been to Thailand twice, most recently in November. All sounds good with your plans. While in the south try visit Ko Lanta, it is a great island which is not too touristy but still has loads of activities (it is close to Krabi with a ferry).
    While in Krabi make sure to do a 4 island tour which is real fun, taking you to some of the best islands where you can swim snorkel kayak etc. Make sure to look between companies though, because the first price probably wont be the best one. Also, close to Krabi is Ao Nang, a very fun beach with lots of massage places and good nightlife.
    While in Thailand try to use songthaews as much as possible to get around for short trips. These are converted pick up trucks that shuttle between popular tourist destinations in a area. They are very cheap and convenient, ask around to find out where to catch them and their routes. Much cheaper than taxis and tuk tuks.
    Enjoy your trip,
    Chris
  • edited February 2015
    Hi there - looks like you have done your research. I have also been to Thailand twice, but quite a long time ago. I did almost exactly the same as you're thinking of - a few nights in Bangkok (staying in Khao San Road), followed by a week in the North, having taken a bus to Chiang Mai (walking and elephant safaris, rafting etc). We then went down to Koh Samui, which was then very undeveloped, no smart resorts at all, but brilliant fun. I imagine you'd want to go to one of the more remote islands now to get the same experience. If I were you, I'd cut back on the number of islands you're planning to visit in Thailand, rather than rushing about too much. Good luck with your travels and let us know how you get on.
    Visit wordtravels.com for destination advice
  • Why don’t you guys try Phuket. It.It will take around 2 1/2 hours from Krabi to Phuket and Ananthara Phuket Villas is a great rest in.As you like some unique experiences it will be the best fit in for you.It has a beach-side swimming pool,sea food barbecue spots and also they provide a cruise to Similan Island.
  • Pattaya is a great choice for you. This is the best place to enjoy the unsleeping city at night with huste walking street, sexy lady boys, street food and comfortable Thai massage. If you have chance to visit Pattaya, don't forget to enjoy Alcaza show.