Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines: http://forum.wordtravels.com/discussion/17906/word-travels-guidelines-for-forum-posts/
Check out our country and city guides at www.wordtravels.com

Is Machu Picchu worth it?

We're planning a trip to Peru, and South America in general. We'd love to visit Machu Picchu, but want to check it's worth it. From my research it seems it's an expensive 4 day walk to get there, and once there it's flooded with tourists! Are there other equally spectacular places to see that are less discovered by the masses?!
Visit wordtravels.com for destination advice
Tagged:

Comments

• Hi Mathieu,

From countless traveller anecdotes I can assure you that Machu Picchu is still one of the most magical and worthwhile tourist attractions in Peru, despite the crowds.

What I am hearing more and more often is that the Inca Trail is becoming overrated. I don't doubt that many people will be outraged by that comment, as it is still one of the most famous and popular hikes in the world, but considering how expensive and crowded it has become, I would suggest looking into other alternatives. There are several routes to Machu Picchu - the Inca Trail is only the most well known. Apparently the Salkantay Trek is phenomenal. Also, you don't need to hike to Machu Picchu: there is a wonderful railway route to very nearby, which travellers rave about.

If you are going to Cuzco then there are many ruins to explore in the area, but I would advise that you don't skip Machu Picchu. Check out this Cuzco Travel Guide for some ideas on what else can be done in the region.