Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines: http://forum.wordtravels.com/discussion/17906/word-travels-guidelines-for-forum-posts/
Check out our country and city guides at www.wordtravels.com

Best place to stay in Andorra

Hi, I plan on travelling to Andorra from Barcelona at the end of the year. I would like to know what the best and cheapest way is from Barcelona to Andorra and also what is the best ski resort in Andorra? I am looking for good nightlife in Andorra not so much family orientated resorts, as I am on a budget and travelling with friends. Also is Andorra cheap, e.g. what is the price of a beer in Andorra and what are the accommodation prices in Andorra/ hotel prices in Andorra?

Comments

• Andorra is a shoppers paradise, this is shop until you drop land. Alcohol, cigarettes and perfume are cheaper than most places in Europe.
    By bus is the cheapest way from Barcelona to Andorra its approximately 58 Euros return and 31 Euros for a one way ticket. Eurolines and Novatel are the two bus companies based in Barcelona. The journey takes about 2hours 30 minutes great views along the way.

I had a friend whose mother lived in Andorra and we used to visit her, can't tell you about sking as I am not a snow bunny.

Numbeo is a very reliable site that shows the cost of living in many countries.
    http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Andorra
  • edited February 2015
    Hey gregxpert,
    @Alethia has given some great info, especially on travelling from Barcelona to Andorra. And as she says, it is indeed a shopper's paradise, with duty free shopping as one of the main reasons so many flock to Andorra. Why is Andorra so cheap? It is cheap compared to much of Europe because it is somewhat of a tax haven. Duty free shopping in Andorra is extremely popular, especially with items such as liquor, cigarettes and various luxury items which usually incur heavy taxation.
    With regard to the best ski resorts in Andorra, there are numerous options. The most popular would probably be Pas de la Casa. The skiing in Pas de la Casa is excellent and caters for both beginners and more serious skiers. The apres-ski scene in Pas de la Casa is also something to behold, with a great variety of nighlife from which to choose. For what you are looking for, I think Pas de la Casa will be your best option. Soldeu and Vallnord are also good ski resorts, but Soldeu is more family orientated and Vallnord is quite small and lacks the big party scene of Pas de la Casa.
    As far as hotel prices in Pas de la Casa, accommodation in Andorra is generally quite affordable, especially when booking in groups and when one does not expect luxury accommodation. There are lots of chalets near the slopes which can be rented for under 50€ a night, and if there are three or four of you sharing a chalet, this works out to be pretty inexpensive compared to many other ski resorts in Europe.
    Similarly, food and beverages are relatively inexpensive in Andorra, with a pint of beer setting you back somewhere between 1€ and 2€, depending to which restaurant or pub you go. Just remember, for peak season in Andorra (around Christmas and New Year) everything will be a bit more expensive and the best value for money accommodation will sell out fast.
    Hope this was helpful and enjoy your trip!
  • @Peter_Hasdon21 , if the Art Hotel was fully booked ,where did you go instead ? What was the name of the hotel, that had the wonderful suite, stunning vista etc etc