Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines: http://forum.wordtravels.com/discussion/17906/word-travels-guidelines-for-forum-posts/
Check out our country and city guides at www.wordtravels.com

Multiple-Entry Peru and Chile Visas

Hi the forum,
I'm a South African planning travels in South America. I know I don't need a visa for a touristic stay of up to 90 days for either Peru or Chile, but nowhere can I find clear information on whether they have a problem with me entering and departing the country once or twice within that period... I need to know because I will be moving in and out of Chile and possibly Peru, more than once. I will definitely not be in either country for anything close to the maximum stay, I just want to be sure they won't decline my second entry into the country because I have been there a few days previously. Can anybody advise me on this? I'm guessing it won't be a problem as it must be fairly common considering the popular backpacking routes, but want to make sure there isn't some rule I know nothing about. Thanks!

Comments

• Hi Wren,
    I must admit I can't find info on this when I search the usual reliable sources, but I don't think you'll have any problem. You can stay a max of 90 days at a time, but unlike some countries there doesn't seem to be a designated time period before you can return to either Peru or Chile. Generally speaking I can tell you that both countries seem fairly relaxed with tourist visas (especially at the smaller border posts) but they have tightened up of late on working visas.
  • I moved between Chile and Bolivia several times in one holiday and had no problem at all. It was a few years ago, but I don't think anything has changed.
  • I can now say with complete confidence that neither Peru nor Chile mind multiple entries. And in my experience both countries were a pleasure to move in and out of.