Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines:
Check out our country and city guides at

China to Hongkong Visa


I am from the United Kingdom and plan on travelling from the UK to Hong Kong, via mainland China (either Guangzhou/ Canton or Shenzhen).

I have a British passport and want to know if I need a visa for China and Hong Kong if I have a UK passport.

i.e. Do I need a visa for China if I am from the UK?

And, if I have a visa for China, can I get into Hong Kong without a visa, or do I need a visa for both Hong Kong and China if I am from England.

And then, what is the process to get a visa for China and Hong Kong from the UK?




  • For simple questions like this the best place to start your research is directly with the Embassy/Consulate.

    1.) Visa for China:

    2.) Visa for Hong Kong:

  • British nationals need a visa to enter mainland China, but not Hong Kong or Macao. For mainland China, you must get a visa prior to arrival, including for Hainan Island. For details of entry requirements to China contact the nearest Chinese Embassy or Consulate in good time before your proposed trip.

    Check your visa validity carefully. Don’t overstay your visa or work illegally. The authorities conduct regular checks and you may be fined or detained for not complying with the conditions of your visa or work permit. If you remain in China longer than 6 months, you may need to get a Residence Permit.

    If you visit Hong Kong from the mainland of China and wish to return to the mainland, you will need a visa that allows you to make a second entry into China.
Sign In or Register to comment.