My passport expires in 6 months – what do I do?

Comments

• edited 5:13PM
    PLEASE DAVID, ARE YOU SAYING I WONT BE ABLE TO GET VISA FOR UK? What can you tell me in regard to geting a visa for Serbia? or Serbian residents getting SA visa's?
    Angel - from your earlier post, your work visa is expiring and cannot be renewed. To renter the UK you will need a regular visa I believe. I really recommend that you visit the Home Office in the UK and get official advice on your status.
    I have a valid European Union passport that expires in February 2010, will I be able to travel to Jamaica this October, 2009? I am a landed immigrant in Canada.
    My sister will come to visit me in USA, from December 10th, 2009 to January 10th, 2010. She has a Romanian passport that expires in June 30, 2010. Do you think this will me OK?
  • Re Amalia:
    I am not 100% sure, but i think it must be 6 months between entry and passport expiration for visitors to USA. If you want to find out for sure, please visit travel.state.gov - us department of state website. If any quesitons, please let me know.
    sincerely,
    Kestutis
    Hi there,

I've been desperately searching for answers related to passports, and wondering if you could help me.
    I have a Canadian passport that expires on February 3 2010, but also have a work permit from the UK that expires in May 2010. I'm planning on going back to Canada for a three month visit at the end of October 2009, and am returning on February 2nd 2010. Will I be allowed into Canada? Will I be allowed to enter the UK at my return? Can I apply for a passport from Canada-since I was born there, but have been living in the UK for almost 5 years, or should I hold off from visiting and renew my passport here?

Thank you.
    Hello
    I have booked a flight for October with Malaysian Airlines to go to Australia for 2 weeks and my passport runs out in January 2010. I have checked with Aus Embassy and they don't have 6 month rule. I have a Residents Return Visa for Aus as well. My question is will I have to have at least 6 months on my passport to fly with Malaysian Airways?
    Hope you can help
    Thank you
    Annie
    Hi. I'm a South African Citizen but my fiancee is British and she is pregnant, were both under 21 so we cannot get marriage visas. What are we to do? Please help.

Tim
    Hi,

Myself and my 2 children have british passports and we are flying from dublin to barcelona in november to go on a cruise visiting italy, and france for 7 days. The childrens passports expire in jan 2010, will they be ok to travel or is it a possibility they could be refused entry. Please help

Thanks,
    Hi David, I'm so glad I found you because the US embassy is telling me to contact the airline and the airline is telling me to contact the US embassy but no one seems to have a straight answer for me.

My children and I are US citizens living abroad. We are planning to fly from Greece to the US on December 12th. My children's passports expire on December 16th but I am planning on having them renewed the minute I get to New York. Since they are US passports ready to expire inside the US, does this mean imigration won't have a problem? We're living on an island in Greece and we'd have to fly to Athens 10 days before the flight to get the passports so it would be a major hassle and expense that I would like to avoid. Thank you so much for your help in this matter.
  • Vanessa,
    Since your passports are good at the time of entering USA (december 12th and does not expire until december 16th), you will not encounter any trouble. You can enter US as long as your passport is valid. However, you have to renew your children passport when you are in NY. We can help to get this done for you in 2days or 4days. Please visit our website for passport for children. If any questions, please let me know.
    Thanks, I will definitely do that....what a relief : )
    Hi ,

I hold a valid UK work permit which expires in july 2010 . I returned back to my country India in march 2009 , now I need to go back in November 2009 9 months after leaving UK . Is my work permit still valid and can I use the same. I heard that there was a recent rule chnage which said that if you hold a valid work permit but have been out of UK for more than 6 months then your permit can No longer be used . Please let me know asap
    Does anyone know the rules for visiting Peru? My British passport expires on April 10, 2010 and I want to visit Peru for three weeks in January.
    hi was wondering if anyone can help im visiting england with my son we live in australia now and have booked tickets back for 21 oct09 his uk passport exp 22/02/2010 we are only residents but have a full visa to return anytime will this still b ok or will i have to get him a new one b4 we travel home??? thanx
    may i know how can i stay n work in uk .
    am holden malaysia passport now.
    :) :P
    my sons are 18 and 20 and may travel nov 23 to UK and their passports expire March 2010. will this be allowed? they have the 5 yr child passport now.
    thanks
    Hi David,

Im holding malaysia passport with the validity of less than 6 months ( about 5 months on the day i travel to GuangZhou, China)
    However, my tourist visa has been approved by China embassy in Singapore. Will I have any problem with the immigration officer on my arrival that he stops me from entering?

This is crucial, im leaving next thursday.

Thanks
    Sherry: Having the visa approved should mean you're fine. Visa officers are normally stricter than immigraiton control. Are you based in Singapore? One thing that might help is to go back to the embassy and get a letter in Cantonese to the effect that your passport is accepted for travel. But I believe that you will fine.
    Hi David,
    I am a duel citizen of South Africa and America. I am currently studying in South Africa, but will be returning home at the end of December. My American passport is valid for a few years, but my South African one is only valid until May 18, 2009. Will I be ok to return home? I entered South Africa on my South African passport, I'm not sure if that will affect anything.
    thanks,
    Katie
    Katie - tricky one this. You should leave a country on the passport you entered with. So you might have problems exiting SA on your expired SA passport. If your US passport is good you will be fine entering the USA but before returning to SA you need to get your passport renewed. Quite a few SA consulates scattered about the states.
    Hey David, I'm a Malaysian citizen living in Australia with a Permanent Residency and I've got 5 months left on my passport. I need to renew it because I need 9 months validity to apply for a Letter of Good Conduct from the M'sian Foreign Ministry which I need to hand in to Australian Immigration to apply for citizenship to prove that I've got no criminal record and I'm a good lil' vegemite.

Anyhow, is is possible for me to fly into Malaysia (possibly through Singapore which is where part of the dilemma lies) with the sole purpose of renewing my passport? Because if I were to fly into M'sia and do it there, it takes a mere 24 hours for them to pump it out. Stupidly enough, if I were to do it through the embassy here, I have to spend money flying to Canberra to do it, and even then they may take up to six months to get it done, by which time my passport is expired but I've got my Australian permanent residency? Not sure if that makes me an illegal or not lol

Lastly, in regards to the Australian PR, is it for life or does it require renewal if I renew my Malaysian passport? On the PR it says "Granted 28May03. Must not arrive after 28May08. Multiple travel. Holder(s) permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely."

Bit of a mess this is...very very confused. Wouldn't it be good if everyone just followed the British and American rule whereby you're granted entry so long as your passport has enough validity on it to span your trip/stay? *sigh*
    Oh and if it helps, Singapore will merely serve as a stopover. Haven't flown alone before and not too used to changing flights either. Do stopover flights require passport checks/could flight check-in crew have the legal power to be a pain in the rear?
    I am in serious predicament. I hold South African passport with Indefinite to live in Britain. I am intending to travell to South Africa late November 2009 return late December 2009, however, my passport expires early January 2010. Can I travell to South Africa and renew my passport whilst I am there? Will I be ok with immigration when I return ?
    Thanks in advance.
    My passport expires on august 2010, and i am going back to Italy on December 2009, i still have 8 months before my passport expire,however, do i still have to renew my passport or not? I need answers immediately. Thank you. ^_^
    David,

I am a US citizen leaving for Cancun Mexico on Feb 8 -13, 2010, with my valid passport expiring on April 18, 2010. Do I need to renew it before leaving or wait until I return (in regards to the 6 month rule)?

Thanks in advance,
    RL
    RL, as a US passport holder you will be ok flying in to Mexico with that passport.
    Hi David / all,

Just like a few users here; i am a dual citizen of the UK and Nigeria. My UK passport is still valied for 5 years, my Nigerian passport expires at the end of Jan 2010. I am currently residng in the UK.

I am travelling to Nigeria in December 2009 for holiday and back to the UK before my Nigeian passport expires.
    I intend to enter Nigeria with my Nigerian passport, and return to the UK with my UK passport.

any problems with validity isues here pls?

Thanks.
    Hi

I was born in the US although my mum is an Australian citizen and my Dad is a UK citizen. My US passport expired in 2004. I was five when it was issued in 1999 and am now sixteen. Can I reapply for a new one?

Thanks,
    Louis
    Hi

I have a british passport which expires at the end of May 2010 and I am looking to travel to Argentina for the first two weeks of December. Do I need to renew my passport or should I be fine to travel on my existing passport?

Thanks
    T