Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines: http://forum.wordtravels.com/discussion/17906/word-travels-guidelines-for-forum-posts/
Check out our country and city guides at www.wordtravels.com

Safety and Health in Guatemala

Hi all!

There was a massive landslide just outside Guatemala City and I'm wondering if it's safe to go. I was planning to travel to Guatemala in December, but now I'm not sure. Does anyone know what vaccinations I need or have any health advice for Guatemala?

Comments

• edited October 2015
    Hi CPTtravel,

The recent tragedy in Guatemala has claimed many lives, and it is, unfortunately, relatively common. In fact, between hurricanes, storms, landslides, volcanic eruptions and earthquakes, thousands have died, lost their homes or property in recent years. You are travelling to a place where nature is highly volatile! All the more exciting I suppose. Nonetheless, it is a beautiful country and is as naturally magnificent as it can be dangerous; if you stay in Guatemala City predominately, you are typically much safer from the elements.

As far as vaccines and health advice goes, I suggest doing the following:

– Get vaccinations for hepatitis A and B, typhoid and an MMR (measles-mumps-rubella) update, as well as a rabies vaccine if you're going into the wilderness (which I'd highly recommend doing, of course, as long as you take all necessary precautions when doing so)
    – Use all possible methods of insect-bite protection, as Malaria and dengue fever are serious problems, especially outside of Guatemala City.
    – Drink only bottled water and consume hot foods, otherwise avoiding anything you haven't yourself cleaned.
    – Make certain you have good medical insurance, with provisions for medical evacuation if necessary.

You can find all this information and more in this free Guatemala Travel Guide. It's best to check with local authorities on their travel advice regarding your trip in December, with regards to safety for your trip in December. December is outside the normal rainy season, but caution is best, especially after this recent disaster.

Let me know if I can be of more help.

Rowan