Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines: http://forum.wordtravels.com/discussion/17906/word-travels-guidelines-for-forum-posts/
Check out our country and city guides at www.wordtravels.com

Longer stay in Greece

I am planning on visiting Crete next year ( 2016) and would like to stay for six months if possible.
I understand I need a long-term tourist visa ( I will not be working) However, the Greek Embassy in NZ is, no longer here.
How and where do I go about applying for a visa to stay long term?

Comments

• Alethia will likely know the scoop, but I doubt very much that you can stay in Greece as a tourist for 6 months straight. A 90 day stay within a 6 month period is generally the rule.

Good luck with your research.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Thank you- how then can Australians stay for six months? I know of a few Aussies living on Crete for six months per year. Will continue to investigate though in the end 90 days would be great on such a beautiful island!
  • @raphael

You can apply for a :- TEMPORARY EXTENSION PERMIT TO THE 90 DAY VISA

Please note that short-term residence permits are issued by the Aliens police office in the area of residency of the individual concerned and if the individual can show evidence that he/she has a compelling reason to prolong his/her stay in Greece. The application must be submitted at least 15 days before the expiration of the original 90-day period. If an extension is approved, a sticker will be placed in the applicant’s passport. The fee for the short-term residence permit application is €30.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Short-term extension permits, provided by the Aliens police, are valid only within Greece. If the Greek authorities deny a citizen's request for a permit, he/she must depart the country before the expiration of the 90 days.

Or apply for FINANCIALLY INDEPENDENT INDIVIDUALS RESIDENCE PERMIT

New Zealand citizens, who derive support and income from abroad, and wish to stay in Greece for two years or more, may apply for the two-year permit provided that, before coming to Greece, they obtain a visa from the Greek Consulate or Embassy that has jurisdiction over the area of their residence.

For information on the documents required, individuals should check with the closest Greek Mission in the place of residence. The Greeks as you know are broke so they closed a lot of Embassies, your nearest Greek Embassy is in Canberra Australia.

RESIDENCE AND WORK PERMITS FOR THE SELF-EMPLOYED

A N.Z citizen who wishes to operate his/her own business in Greece, must prove that he/she has sufficient funds to operate the business, and that the business would contribute to the development of the national economy.

For information on the documents required for this type of visa, individuals should check with the closest Greek Mission in their place of residence.

I do hope this is of some help to you.
  • Thankyou - that is very helpful. It seems a bit of a risk to stay longer than 90 days. I wouldn't want to be in a position to be refused an extension. My compelling reason for staying would be love of the place. Not sure that would be enough!
    Thanks again
  • Another thought...... On a 90day visa, could I leave Crete during the 90 days, travel to UK for 4wks and return to Crete for a further 60 days? Providing I stay in Crete for only 90 days within 180 days, I should be ok?
  • Yes you can do that or fly to Turkey or Northern Cyprus (the Republic of Northern Cyprus is not in the EU)