The truth about visiting Egypt

2»

Comments

• edited November -1
    Thanks a lot; your post seems really informative. Such suggestions are really helpful for traveling alone. I wish to visit the beauty and large pyramids of Egypt very soon.
  • edited November -1
    hello marce, It is better to book your trip before your arrival to Egypt (hotels, cruise, tours). that will help u enjoy arranged program, so u will visit as most as possible.
    however u can change to Egyptian pound currency while u r in Egypt. it is so easy. US Dollars are most common used also.
  • edited November -1
    Hi!
    I would like to agree with Natasha. I experienced a similar situation in Sharm el-Sheikh during my female friend and my stay at the hotel (Nov 2010). There was a try to rape me while I was sleping in the room and my friend was on the beach. However, I informed hotel management and the guy was sent out the hotel. I don't know that it meant for him, but our holiday went good and enjoyable even for me..

Please all, do not panic and keep an eye and inform the management asap!
    Firstly, they didn't believe me, but then after asking details, they accepted the fact that most of their guests left on the second day and they didn't know why.

Thanks for your attention!
  • edited November -1
    I traveled to Egypt earlier this year and I was drugged. I'd purchased a tour of Giza, Dashur, and Memphis, from what I thought was a legitimate tour organization. I paid 165 LE for the tour. I'd earlier seen the guy I purchased the tour from coming out of the hotel where I was staying, and the next morning I was waiting on the tour guide and the guy engaged in conversation with the clerk at the hotel desk finally turned and asked if I was ready to go.

He asked if I wanted to ride a horse or camel to tour the pyramids, I said, "yes" and he took me in this village near the pyramids where a man rented out horses. While I was there I was asked to have a drink, coke, water, juice, anything? "It's Egyptian hospitality". Between the pyramids at Giza and Dashur all I can remember is stopping at some man's shop that wanted me to smell and buy some oils. When I got to Dashur, one of the workers was telling me that I needed to hurry out of the museum if I wanted to see the tombs. We'd left the hotel at 8am that morning and he was telling me the museum closed at 4, I was wondering why was he rushing me? We'd only been at Giza for a few hours, 3 at most! Well, I went back to the car and the tour guide was telling me that we didn't have time to go to Memphis. I went back to the hotel and slept so more, I've never slept so soundly.

Later that night I was hurting really bad, my back was hurting me. I have a back injury and never lie on my back because of it, they must have had me lying on my back. I was in tears and went to the front test to ask for the name of a hospital and for them to get me a taxi. The taxi took me to a hospital there and the doctor there was awful. He came out and stood in front of a small table. Didn't say anything. I had been sitting in a chair waiting for him so I walked up to the table. He stood there with his hands behind his back. I asked if he was the doctor. Um-Hum, he answered. I told him that I was hurting and what I'd done that day, he told me that he didn't know how to treat me and refused to give me my 100 L.E. back.

I left Egypt several days before I'd planned. It was the worst experience I've had while traveling. Points to remember: There is no such thing as Egyptian Hospitality. They want a tip for everything. You can't trust any of them, woe unto you that do. For those of you who say traveling to Egypt is safe, you don't need a tour guide, I say you must work for Egyptian Tourism. The information you are providing is misleading and people must be extremely careful when traveling to Egypt. Egypt is known for begging and thievery. Now that's the truth about Egypt
  • edited November -1
    Anytime one travels, there is always a risk that you will run into unsavory individuals, scan artists and the like. Whether in Egypt, New York, Chicago, Paris, Bahamas, Jamaic, Mexico, etc. I think for most we are succeptible particlarly in a country where we are most unfamiliar. It's important to always be on guard and protect yourself as best as you can and always report inappropriate behavior. Expecially for women it is wise to travel with others in certain countries. I am looking forward to some day traveling to Egypt. My hope is for the political issues to be resolved soon. Safe travels.
  • edited November -1
    You welcome Michelle ...
    Egypt will be happy ... and tourism will return again

SAMEH
  • edited November -1
    Sherrand,

Sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience.
    Let me first of all tell you this: you don't have a clue about what is Egypt really like nor about the people of Egypt!

Forgive me for thinking you do sound like a small child with no brain! “I was asked to have a drink, coke, water, juice, anything”? “I was asked to ride a Camel” and “I was asked if I could be drugged”! “The Dr tool my money and wouldn’t give it back”, what? Where did you go with this man who kept leading you like a sheep? Your story is naive and silly!

Just last week in the UK a nine months pregnant teenager was stabbed by a 28 year old man, how many stories like this do you hear coming out of Egypt?
  • edited November -1
    Egypt is stable and safe now....
  • edited November -1
    No its not stable ,as resident and travel back and forth it is not as stable as you think ,and for people thinking of egypt is free now does not mean you can walk with your boobs and knickers showing have some respect for the egyptian woman ,and boys touch and flirt with you do not leave you alone as no law and order in some parts and if there was they dont take crap of it ......
  • edited November -1
    Its safe if you stay with in the resorts and go with proffesional tour guides preferbly from the hotel and if you are adventuring out always tell someone where you might be ,some parts of egypt not good and still is curfew in Cairo at 2am i should know so its my country ,just keep your wits about you like you would at home ,and enjoy your time ...
  • edited November -1
    AND WHY DOES ONE PUT EGYPT IN THE MIDDLE EAST FORGODSAKE WE AFRICANS WE IN AFRICA .LOOK TO THE GEOGRAPHY AND MAPS
  • edited November -1
    WELL I HAVE READ MOST OF UR POST AND I THNAK U ALL BECASUE U PAINTED A ALL ROUND PICTURE FOR ME AM GOING EYGPT IN A WEEK TIME AND I HAVE NEVER BEEN THERE BEFORE AND IT IS NICE TO GET POSTIVE FEED BACK SO U KNOW WHAT TO DO FOR URSELF AND HOW TO BE I HAVE HEARD A LOT OF NEGATIVE FROM PEOPLE WATCHING NEWS AND OTHERS WHO FEEL THEY KNOW BEST BUT READING WHAT ALL OF U HAVE TO SAY HELP ME TO KNOW HOW TO BE A WOMAN GOING THERE SO I JUST WANTED TO SAY THANK YOU AND KEEP IT UP
  • edited November -1
    Dear All,

Egypt is a country with 85 million people, like any part of the world, there will always be the minority that creat choas and will might at times creat a negative image of the country, nevertheless I would agree with fact, that yes Egypt is safe and a wonderful country to be in. People are friendly and hospitable and would love to be at your service. Go there and enjoy and be safe.

I would advice that visitors, respect our cultures, religion and traditions - and by that I dont mean go wear a hajabm but be moderate in the way you are dressed, dont go around drunk, be friendly with people, but make sure you aint getting to perosnall, unless thats whats you are looking for.

Egypt is a great country, great people, country of history and pride. Love you Egypt. For those have you that havent visited Egypt, you are surely missing loads.
  • edited November -1
    Please stop nonsence about egypt being a safe place. Their repressed men rape and kill foreign women and get away with it. Do not travel there.
  • edited November -1
    Ah beautiful (of course you are) - repressed men??? Oh please.............they do not rape and kill foreign women. I am a foreign woman, I live in Tunisia, I have travelled by myself many, many times to Egypt HOWEVER......I dress modestly, I respect the culture, the religion and the values and I behave myself. I also do not drink, get drunk, flirt with the poor repressed men or invite them or accept invitations. Please stop this nonsense now!!
  • edited November -1
    Lesley ....google Sunday incident in Egypt Russian female severely beaten and raped while alone in her 5 star hotel resort room......by hotel staff who tried assumed she was dead and didnt even hide from the police,..... she survived thats the ONLy reason he was arrested...and what about Lora Logan?
  • edited November -1
    Please younge women DO NOT TRAVEL To Egypt its extremely dangerous...they get away with rape and murder...Lesley it will happen to you one day
  • edited November -1
    There was a french tourist killed in Cairo blast.I agree a very dangerous and uncivilized place for anyone and especially european women.
  • edited November -1
    Beauiful?I checken the horrible details of that. He was looking for single victim. Knocking on the hotel rooms. He worked in 5 star resourt.As soon as he got into her suite he started to beat her. Putting her unconscience and then beating and raping her. He also was putting boiling water on her face and body. When she was gaining conscienceness he was beating her in the head again and again with his feet. The whole room was covered in blood and Egyptian Government was trying to cover it up. They would if she died. You are right. That is really sadistic behavious :( I will never travel there.
  • edited November -1
    I don't really want to start a fight here but I feel more stressed and nervous when I travel to England you don't know what is going to happen there!!! Look at the riots, looting, muggings and murder on the streets. If you care to look at the comparison stats between countries you will see that western countries are far, far more dangerous for us all
  • edited November -1
    Beautiful, frenchboy and Jack – Listen up:

Egypt has the most amazing pieces of architectural construction that you're ever likely to see. The pyramid shape is a unique geometrical symbol, strongly resembling the carbon atom’s structure, upon which all earthly life is based. The accuracy, the geometry, the orientation to the north, the alignment of the King's & Queen's chambers to the stars Orion & Sirius (like their King & Queen Gods, Osiris & Isis).....all fascinating stuff..

Beautiful – never known anyone call themselves beautiful, I think you should leave this for others to judge! However, it seems to me that you are in no position to make a judgment about Egypt or anything else for that matter….

Frenchboy - please join an English language class urgently, what are you actually trying to say here?

Jack, please do some reading, you are miss-informed.

Lesley – please don’t bother yourself with those uneducated individuals.

Best

A
  • edited November -1
    Hi,

I just came back from Egypt.

Rippin off is putting what they are din to touists, mildly. We felt like we were bein sold and re-sold, so that everybody will come and take our money. They call each other cousins and charge you for saying hello. Saying no, does not stop them.

I have travelled to so many countries, and all of them have thieves and crooks. However, they do not opeate as business men and never been ripped by them. In Egypt the line between theft and business is blurred.

Bright

Lying, deceipt and taking a foreigners money for nothin seemed to have become a normal thin to do.

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler