Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines:
Check out our country and city guides at

Spouse Visa-UK

Hi!!!I am a Filipino national and married to a Biritsh national. We both live and work in the UAE. My husband would like to apply a Spouse Visa for me because we travel to the UK every summer. I only applied for a tourist visa with my previous visits. Does anybody know how to apply, what are the requirements and procedures?

Any advice welcomed and appreciated:-))Many thanks


  • edited January 2016
    I am a UK immigration and human rights lawyer and it seems you and your husband do not understand the meaning of the UK spouse visa.

    Unless your husband lives and work in the and earns over £18600 per annum and you have a home in the UK you will not be granted a spouse visa.

    If your husband has savings in excess of £62,000 and a home in the UK you may be granted a spouse visa but you and your husband would need to live in the UK for 5 years.

    The spouse visa requires the UK citizen and their foreign spouse to live and work in the UK not live outside the UK and just come on holiday.
  • Thank you so much, now it is clear!
  • The very first step to apply for Spouse visa is to file a Petition.To fill the petition,you have to follow USCIS website. You and your spouse must be 18 years old.
    You must have met each other and be legally married - this is to prevent arranged marriages.
    Your sponsoring partner must earn more than £18,600 per year or have enough savings to be able to sponsor you.
    You must satisfy the English language requirements. If you have already tourist visa more than six months, you may be able to switch into a spouse visa.The average processing time for a spouse visa application is 2 – 12 weeks from the date we submit the application to the UKBA.
  • @evajackson

    You obviously now nothing about applying for a UK spouse visa. first USCIS has nothing to do with the UK.
    Firstly you DO NOT complete a petition
    UCIS is the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service
    Arranged marriages are perectly legal in UK immigration law, you simply need to have met
    You cannot switch from a tourist visa to a spouse visa. Tourist visa maximum is six months no longer.
    There is no average processing time.
    UKBA (UK Border Agency) was dissolved on 1st April 2013

    Please do not give misleading information.
  • My husband is,ghaninian and im uk he only wante d to come visit me for four week s he was refused,under stupid ridiculous,excuses,,1 get a job and wont go back 2live off the state 3 hes got no reason to want to come,to uk. PATHETIC ,!!!! I was,married in accra,ghana,, nearly 3 yrs now !
  • edited September 2016
    I am sure you are upset by the refusal but the reasons given are not pathetic, they are given within the law.

    Your husband has every reason to stay in the UK and a visit visa is seen as trying to avoid the immigration rules for joining his wife in the UK. Any future visit visa application will also be refused.

    The fact you have been married for three years is irrelevant. Yiour husband needed to show strong ties and reasons to return to Ghana after his UK visit, he obviously failed to do so.

    For your husband to join you permanently in the UK you need to earn £18600 per annum if you do not earn this money and have acceptable accomodation your husband will not be allowed to join you in the UK.

Sign In or Register to comment.