Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines: http://forum.wordtravels.com/discussion/17906/word-travels-guidelines-for-forum-posts/
Check out our country and city guides at www.wordtravels.com

From Kolkata to New Delhi

Hello,

I am from Kolkata. I want to stay there for a month. Initially I would put myself up in a hotel but eventually I would like to buy a rented apartment/flat or a mid-level room with toilet for starters. I plan to stay around the Connaught place area but I dunno the area well; I have been to Rajiv Chowk (metro) but that's about it.

I need to know the general rate of house rentals there (Connaught place), whether government-run hotels are available at Connaught place (they are usually cheaper than private hotels), what is the general auto fare for short distances (like, from Connaught place to Patel chowk), where can I get good quality beef in Delhi, etc. My budget for hotel is 600 INR per night and for rented apartments 10k-12k INR per month. Let me know if these budgets are realistic. Any help you can offer is deeply appreciated.

I would also like to know where I can get good bargains in terms of raw veggies/fruits, clothes, computer gadgets and pre-cooked meals, etc. ;-)

Thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• BTW, can you please tell how much it cost to get to Connaught place from the airport?
  • edited May 2016
    @arundouyr
    Connaught Place is not a residential area it is one of the largest financial, commercial and business centres in New Delhi. It is the most expensive financial district in India and the fifth most expensive in the world. It ranks in price along side The West End of London, Manhattan in NewYork, Tokyo and Moscow.

This is the land of 4 and 5 star hotels , Claridges, Taj Mahal , Metropolitan and Le Meridian for example.

As in all big cities people commute to work by train/metro in Delhi people live in the suburbs and travel up to one hour to work in Connaught Place. You will not find hotels or apartments within your budget in or around Comnnaught Place.

I edited my post as I found your question regarding " where can I get good quality beef" very strange and I almost overlooked it. I found your question strange as it is common knowledge in India that in the majority of Indian states it is a criminal offence to slaughter and consume beef.

The Delhi Agricultural Cattle Preservation Act, 1994 governs the slaughter of cattle in the state. In law cattle is defined as cows of all ages, calves of cows of all ages, and bulls and bullocks. The slaughter of buffaloes is legal . The penalty for this crime is up to 5 years in prison.