Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines: http://forum.wordtravels.com/discussion/17906/word-travels-guidelines-for-forum-posts/
Check out our country and city guides at www.wordtravels.com

Fjord Cruise in Norway

I am busy planning a trip to Norway - very exciting! We do want to see the Northern Lights so we are going over winter (no exact dates yet but probably February or March). The other thread on this forum was really great for advice on when and where to see the lights but I was hoping to now get some advice on fjord cruises as well. Research suggests that the classic Sognefjord trip is the best option for first-time visitors but I wanted to find out if this trip is still a good option in winter? Does the weather seriously interfere with the beauty of the cruise? And are there still lots of activities in the region? Or is it really much better to do in summer? I'm open to any advice about other possible cruises in the country as we haven't booked flights yet so we are still flexible about where we travel to. The cruise doesn't have to take the Northern Lights into consideration as we are determined to get up north for part of the trip as well as do the cruise.

Comments

• I'm very jealous!

I haven't been myself so hopefully somebody with personal experience can pop along with some advice for you but I can tell you that the Sognefjord cruises are said to be wonderful in any season (in winter you get bonus activities like skiing). Check out the official website for Sognefjord, and have a look at our Norway Travel Guide for general advice about airports, destinations, climate etc.
  • edited June 2016
    @MaggieMay
    You do not say which country you live. This is important as you can cruise from more than one country to the Northern Lights.
    Two years ago I went on the P.O Northern Lights Cruise from Southampton UK in late January. The winter season runs from October until March. Here are some of the Northern lights cruises from UK , Denmark and the USA

UK
    Fred Olsen (01473 742424; fredolsencruises.com) Departs Southampton
    P&O Cruises (0843 374 0111; pocruises.com) Departs Southampton
    Cruise & Maritime Voyages (0844 998 3801; cruiseandmaritime.com) Departs Liverpool

Denmark
    Hurtigruten (https://www.hurtigruten.com/) This not a cruise line but the ferry from Bergen in Denmark to Norway which takes about three days

USA

All these companies do Northern Lights cruises from the USA
    Regent Seven Seas, Silversea, Holland America, Celebrity, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Norwegian,