Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines:
Check out our country and city guides at

South African crew member visiting a different ship for vacation - Porting in Canada

Hi There!

I was wondering if anyone could help me out, I am a crew member who works on board cruise ships, I am trying to go and visit my boyfriend on a different ship which ports out of Canada and I am having difficulty determining which Visa to apply for.

Do I apply for a transit visa as I am flying into Vancouver? Or do I apply for a visitors visa because I am returning 7 days later?
It is a 7 day Alaskan cruise. I already have a B1/B2 for US, I am just trying to determine which visa to apply for...

Any help with regards to this will be greatly appreciated


  • @angiecronje
    Please give your nationality.
  • edited July 2016
    South African
  • edited July 2016
    I asked your nationality as some nationals such as Taiwan and Indonesia have exemptions
    The US B1/B2 visa cant help with entering Canada its only viable for the US and the cruise.

    The Canadian government website is one of the worst and just goes around in circles. It does not say how long the transit visa is valid for. It used to be for 15 days but I can't find clarification of that.

    All you need is a transit visa to arrive in Vancouver and board the cruise ship then another transit visa when you leave Canada 7 days later. so you do not require a full visitors visa. I suggest you apply for a transit, giving the exact details of when and how you will enter and leave Canada.
  • @Alethia
    Thank you for your feedback
Sign In or Register to comment.