Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines: http://forum.wordtravels.com/discussion/17906/word-travels-guidelines-for-forum-posts/
Check out our country and city guides at www.wordtravels.com

Vacation spot in Canada?

edited August 2016 in - Canada
Hey guys,
I'm planning to take my kids and my wife for a 4-day trip. Because of the work pressure I couldn't get time to spend with my kids. They get very bored most of the time. So I decided that this vacation I would take them outing that too to give them a surprise. But I really don't know where to take them. I asked my friend and he said me that killarney lodge would be a good option. But I dont have any clear idea about it.Can anyone assist me? please advice.

Comments

• @fernol, Canada is such a vast country and has such a diverse tourist offering! Could you narrow it down by telling us which region you are keen to visit and what kind of activities you are interested in?
  • @fernol
    Do you mean Killarney Lodge in Algonquin Park Ontario ? If so it has very good reviews.

http://www.killarneylodge.com/
  • Hi there. Was hoping for some advice in a similar vein. I am going across to Canada for three weeks over May next year to visit my daughter, who lives in Vancouver. She will be working during the day so I am trying to work out an itinerary for myself... any suggestions about what to do in Vancouver? I know there must be tons of things, and I am in the midst of research, but I was hoping for some insider knowledge... anyone with some great ideas, or some lesser-known attractions in mind? Perhaps someone who has traveled there before? Thanks!
  • edited August 2016
    Kinda hard to suggest anything when you give no clue of your likes/dislikes, interests, budget, style of travel, etc.

That said, Vancouver is a borderline world famous city so it's ridiculously easy to research from a multitude of different sources.

Have fun.

Cheers,
    Terry

• edited August 2016
    I was hoping for fun imaginative insights of any kind, didn't think I had to clarify to that extent, but nevertheless, I am open to anything; I love museums and history as well as the arts. I am also up for some adventure, and I enjoy the outdoors. I would like to go back from my holiday with some new experiences under my belt!

If anyone has traveled to Vancouver before and has some memorable attractions in mind, whatever they may be, please be sure to let me know :)
  • edited August 2016
    From what you've said @King6711 it sounds as though Vancouver will make a great holiday destination for you.

Vancouver, first and foremost, is all about embracing the outdoors. Locals and visitors alike tend to spend a lot of their free time skiing on Grouse Mountain or surfing at Wreck Beach and strolling through Stanley Park. You say you are up for some new experiences, and something outdoors - I think those are top choices. You also mention you enjoy the arts, well Vancouver offers plenty of cultural attractions, including museums and galleries (such as the incredible Vancouver Art Gallery) and outdoor markets. Vancouver can also be very chic; fine dining and high-fashion boutiques can be found in the city if you're looking for some RnR.

If you're looking for something unusual, or some hidden gems, have a look at this link, you'll find some interesting things to see and do and are perhaps somewhat lesser-known. Sounds like some of these could be what you're after.

In the mean time, take a look at our Word Travels guide on Vancouver here. You will find general information as well as interesting information on attractions and nearby excursions.

Hope this helps.
    Good luck on your travels!
  • @King6711
    Here are a few different things to do in Vancouver

1. North Van Green Tours takes guests on a trip through North Vancouver’s lush landscape without clogging the atmosphere. The four-hour tours begin and end at the Lonsdale Quay Market, and travel to Cates Park, Deep Cove, the Seymour Mountain Forest and the Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge, where you can hike a network of trails or browse the exhibits at the Lynn Canyon Ecological Centre. Call 604-290-0145 or see www.northvangreentours.com.

2. It often rains in Vancouver when it does head for Dr Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden with its covered walkways and pavilions rimmed with hand-made drip tiles. In a downpour, roof water flows from the drip tiles like a crystal bead curtain. This is the finest garden outside China and is exquisite http://vancouverchinesegarden.com/

3.Designated a national historic site Gastown is the oldest neighbourhood in Vancouver Gastown grew from a single tavern founded by John ‘Gassy Jack’ Deighton back in 1867.

4. Take a horse drwan carriage across Stanley Park which has been called the soul of the city . Stanley Park is slightly bigger than New York's Central Park, making it the largest urban park in North America. Because it's almost an island, Stanley Park is wrapped with a sea wall that offers five miles of spectacular waterfront views
  • Thank you all so much, you have given me some great ideas! @Alethia, that is just the sort of thing I'm after, thank you. And @LucyH there are some wonderful ideas there. I like that there are some unusual things to do, I will put them in the itinerary!

Thanks again.