Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines:
Check out our country and city guides at

Bring wife to germany

Hi Alethia i hope you ok
I am a british citizen live and work in germany my wife lives in Afghanistan.My querry is can i bring my wife to germany and when she comes to germany i would like her to move with me to uk is that possible.if it is can you tell me that what will be the prosseger before get to the uk.
Best regards


  • @Asif
    You can bring your wife to live with you in Germany. The application is for a family permit as the spouse of an EEA national exercising treaty rights.
    The European Parliament and Council Directive 2004/38/EC of 29 April 2004 is about the right of citizens of the EU and their family members to move and reside freely within the territory of the EU member states.
    You should not be charged for this visa.

    After your wife has lived with you in Germany for more than 3 months you can apply to bring her to the UK under the Surinder Singh route
    It will help your case to bring her to the UK because you are already living and working in Germany and did not go to Germany just to use the Surinder Singh route.
  • Thank you very much Alethia for such beatifull and helpull information.
    Last questionS
    1.When i want to bring my wife to uk after 3 months do i need to apply for my wife anykind of visa or clearance or just buy tickets and go to uk.
    2.when she gets here she need to apply for another visa in uk or she can stay with the same visa which was issued by the german immigration.
    Best regards
  • @Asif

    Your wifes German visa is NOT valid in the UK.
    You will need to apply to bring your wife to the UK on an EEA family permit, she cannot just walk into the UK. The Surinder Singh route is complicated so I suggest you seek legal advice from a UK immigration lawyer.
  • Thanks
Sign In or Register to comment.