Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines: http://forum.wordtravels.com/discussion/17906/word-travels-guidelines-for-forum-posts/
Check out our country and city guides at www.wordtravels.com

Algerian/British Dual Citizenship query

edited December 2016 in - South Africa
hello i am British and my husband is Algerian i am having his baby and he wants to know about dual citizenship i will be getting a British passport for our baby but he asking about our baby having a Algerian passport as well as i have never heard about it
before so just want information about it as i dont think we can do that ???

Comments

• edited December 2016
    @mariahamza
    Your child can be a dual national. British citizens can legally have the passport of another country.

However, what benefit would your child derive from an Algerian passport..? They need visas for everywhere.
    I would be very concerned as to why your husband wants this child to have an Algerian passport when he is married to a British woman and I assume you live together in the UK. Eventually after his visa ends in 5 years your husband is entitled to be British.

Is your baby a boy ?
  • "... I would be very concerned as to why your husband wants this child to have an Algerian passport when he is married to a British woman and I assume you live together in the UK..."

I'd be curious to know his explanation too.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • not sure what i am having yet if it boy or girl i find out in feb he just wanted to know that all as i wanted to now as well
  • @mariahhamza - you need to be mighty careful. In Islam the father is considered the rightful parent and guardian of the children of the marriage whether the wife is Muslim or not. He can get a passport for this yet to be born child and take it back to Algeria or alternatively if you visit Algeria with the child he can deny your taking the child back to the UK. Your children even though born in the UK are still considered Algerian because of the nationality of the father. There are many reasons to be suspicious. Be warned that many men from North Africa will marry a foreigner for a visa and consequently a passport. They can and majority do then divorce the wife, take the child and bring over the girl that has been waiting while the husband gets his ILR. Please take care!!
  • ok and thanks i am being very careful i only want my baby to have British passport and i have heard so many story's about men in Africa thanks for the advice