Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines: http://forum.wordtravels.com/discussion/17906/word-travels-guidelines-for-forum-posts/
Check out our country and city guides at www.wordtravels.com

Algerian getting married to a British citizen in Tunisia (currently living in the uk)

Hello
I read some of your posts and I want some assistance if you don't mind.
So basically I am an Algerian citizen living in the uk.i am religiously married to someone who is British.
Been married for a year and a half.been living together for a year though.
I overstayed my visa in 2014.my visa was a 6 months student visitor visa.
Me and my wife are intending to submit an application to legalise my status here and we know that it's highly likely that we are gonna be refused and asked to go to Algeria and get married there and apply from there.now the problem is though that in Algeria it takes ages to have the green light to get married to a foreigner.
Can you assist me with some options and would getting married in Tunisia be better and what's the required paperwork for that and how long does it take for the whole thing to be sorted out and do you think it is ok to get married in Tunisia and apply from there to come back here to the uk.
Thanks a lot for your assistance!
Regards

Comments

• @absjess
    Before I answer your question can I ask if you have any children with your wife, or if your wife has British children from a previous marriage/relationship as this may change things.

You are correct , applying for a UK visa on the basis of a Nikah marriage will be refused.

Many Algerians marry in Tunisia to their UK, US or European partners as it is much easier to marry in Tunisia than Algeria. All weddings in Tunisia are civil weddings and are therefore recognised internationally.

To apply for your UK visa after marriage your wife must be earning more than £18,600 per annum for at least 6 months before you apply.

You will need the following documents to marry in Tunisia :-

Your passports

Both your original birth certificates no older than 21 days before date of marriage

Your divorce documents or death certificate of spouse if you have been married before

You must both have a certificate from your country that states you are single and free to enter into marriage.
    Your British partner must have a Certificate of No Impediment known as I CONI and it can be obtained from the register office in her town.
    Your certificate must come from Algeria

All these documents should be originals and must be translated into Arabic or French and you can have that done in Tunisia quickly and cheaply.

You will have blood tests done together in Tunisia. You make an apppointmentt with the doctor and he will order the tests, you will have the results the same day.
    These results are given to the marriage office with the rest of your documents.

The male partner must have a letter from the mufti in his local mosque stating that he is a Muslim.

I hope this helps

• @absjess - I have heard in the last few days that Algerians (along with some others) may now require visas for entry to Tunisia. I am trying to find out whether this is correct or not, but you should definitely check with the Embassy in London to find out before you organise your trip.
  • edited May 16
    That's great and how long do you think all of the marriage process will take and for how long do we have to be in Tunisia before applying and as well when I am married officially to my wife in Tunisia can I make a fast-track or same day application from Tunisia for a spouse visa?
    Thanks a lot!
    @Alethia
  • edited May 16
    Hello Lesley!
    No Algerians don't need a visa to go to Tunisia and there is a train now that takes you from Algeria to Tunisia
    @Lesley
  • edited May 17
    @absjess
    There is no waiting time to marry in Tunisia, you can start your wedding plans as soon as you arrive in Tunisia and can marry within a few days if all your documents are in order.

There is no such thing as a fast track or same day application for a UK spouse visa.
    Your wife must be earning a minimum salary of £18600 a year for at least six months and must meet the UK immigration rules which are very complicated.
    The UK spouse application is made on line and the biometrics interview is conducted at the TLS Contact office in Algiers. https://uk.tlscontact.com/dz/alg/index.php
    Supporting documents must be submitted to the UK where applications can take at least three months to process
  • @Alethia
    That's good there is no waiting time
    Yeah my wife gets more than that amount
    So do I apply at TLScontact Algiers website online?
    I meant like a fast track spouse visa application (a one day one)
    That I will have to pay more for?
  • @absjess
    I repeat there is NO fast track UK spouse visa for one day.
    TLS offer various options which cost a lot more money. I suggest you read their website.

You apply on line for the visa, the supporting documents must be sent to the UK by your sponsor.
    https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/home/welcome

You attend the TLS contact centre for your biometrics

Algerians applying for a UK visa are required to be tested for tuberculosis
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/tuberculosis-test-for-a-uk-visa-clinics-in-algeria/tuberculosis-testing-in-algeria

The UK visa application is very complicated and you are required to follow British immigration law and the specified evidence which is mandatory
  • @absjess - you are correct that there is a train from Algeria to Tunis, however, that train stops at the border and all documentation is sighted. They can deny you onward travel, this has been common practice and continues. There is no guarantees anymore.
  • @abjess - just to let you know that males under the age of 35 from Algeria are now denied entry to Tunisia due to the high unemployment rate and the high likelihood that they come here to find work. The fiance of my Tunisian niece who is from Maroc and working in Algeria had to return to Morocco to come to Tunis for the marriage. If you hold an Algerian passport you will in all probability be denied entry.
  • @Lesley oh god is that official then or probably he had issues or something
  • @absjess - it is official. My niece's fiance was lucky as he has Moroccan passport and could get into Tunis from Morocco. No such luck now for those holding Algerian passports.
  • edited June 3
    @absjess
    I suggest you contact the Tunisian embassy and apply for a visa.
  • @Alethia @absjess - I think I agree with Alethia. A visa would be the way to go, however, he will need to provide plenty of proof that entry is for the purpose of marriage only and that he will return to Algeria. Now unless he has some sort of documents from the municipality where you will marry it could be slim to none. But it's worth a try.
  • edited June 4
    @Lesley @absjess
    After suggesting Absjess apply for a Tunisian visa. I realised Absjess has lived illegally in the UK for about three years, so I wonder if the Tunisians will find his application credible or even entertain an application from someone who is living illegally in the UK. ?

I noticed after reading the original post from absjess that he refers to his partner as his wife and states they are married. I am assuming this is a mickey mouse "nikah" marriage which has no legal standing whatsoever in the UK, Europe, Tunisia and many other countries. Absjess is correct when he states that any application he makes in the UK will be refused.

In my opinion Absjess should return to Algeria and either apply for a Tunisian visa or make arrangements to marry in Algeria or another country
  • @Alethia @absjess - oops! Hmmmm - I hadn't realised this. If he were a Tunisian there would be no problem, however, I can see this going very wrong. Things are changing here quite rapidly with laws and regulations being adhered to. I'm going to leave this visa question with you @Alethia!!