Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines: http://forum.wordtravels.com/discussion/17906/word-travels-guidelines-for-forum-posts/
Check out our country and city guides at www.wordtravels.com

UK / Nigerian Scammers

123457»

Comments

• 1.) It's a public forum, you don't get to demand who can, or can't, respond to any post.

2.) I'm glad you learned your lesson and that you won't be sending money again to a non-existent stranger who only exists in your computer.

Good luck with your recovery and all the best to you.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • I can demand respect and I will do so. some of you pass judgement and name call. no one needs this nir do I care for yr congrats. you are the type of person that doesn't belong in sensitive issues unless you clean it up.
  • edited October 2015
    Only someone who acts like a rational adult deserves respect. Some of the tales on this thread are so embarrassing as to be beyond comprehension, thus the straight-up replies.

If a poster who has allowed themselves to be scammed in the most silly manner possible can't handle honest, concise and accurate observations and comments to "wake up" then a public forum isn't where they should be looking for help and assistance.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • You obviously are quite emotionless with little psychological savvy. NO one needs a heartless approach under these circumstances. Your concise and accurate observations are heartless... You don't belong here and this forum is not designed for someone who has not had this journey. You continue to judge people but obviously you, like these scanners, have no conscious about doing this. How adult of you.
  • edited October 2015
    And you are making excuses for utterly irrational actions. Instead of trying to justify the lunacy that litters this thread you should be welcoming the honest comments made by myself and others. Continuing to enable and support the notion that imaginary people in your computer are real and that there's circumstances where they deserve money is mind boggling. That's not how rational grown-ups think, or act.

And lastly, as for claiming that I don't belong here, look at the top of the page. You're posting on a travel discussion forum for Europe, not a Lonely Hearts forum for people who've allowed themselves to be scammed by make believe boyfriends.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • edited October 2015
    @Hann, you are not in a position to dictate who can and cannot respond to your posts on this forum.
    As for Terry not belonging to this forum you are much mistaken, its a travel forum not a forum for people who give their money to scammers.
    You are correct we do not have sympathy for people who give money to strangers they have never met. By the way these people are not "spammers " they are "scammers".
  • I have a question hope that any one can help me..I'm from the United States..and my fiancé is from United States and he is a construction contractor who was on a contract job in LAGOS NIGERIA he has been there over a year, him and his daughter were to be coming back home the end of October. He and I had been in contact via text and phone conversation while he was there in LAGOS NIGERIA. He was involved in a car accident in Lagos Nigeria, the accident occurred on (October 04, 2015) I believe in Nigeria I'm not sure.. he was driving to go visit his daughter who is in the hospital he is a good father…and a good man..but unfortunately he hit 2 pedestrians he was tired and didn’t feel well and they did a drug test and had no alcohol or anything ... from what I was told by his co-worker who contacted me...my concern is I don't know if he is in jail or if he was released with bail or a lawyer or what ?... I spoke to a police officer in the facility in Africa but could not release any info..the only thing he said was bail had to be paid in order to speak with him ?… I'm concerned because I've tried everything to contact him to see if he is ok...all I know is that he is held in ( EKO jail in Africa) (that's all I know)....or if he was released to a different facility… I’ve only heard from him one couple times but for a short phone conversation, if there is a way he can be released because I care for him a lot ...And I need to know if he is doing ok because he will suffer in jail…I did asked him to call the consulate but he said they won’t let him. I wish I new what to do.. I’m worried …I appreciate any help in anyway you can... I don’t have much to go on…I’ve been trying all over....I've been contacting the embassy’s and I have heard nothing yet..I would appreciate your help in any way you can…if you could email me and let me know anything or what can be done... at this point I'll try anything...thank you for your cooperation
  • One question - and please don't take this the wrong way - but have you ever met your fiance in person, face-to-face?

Cheers,
    Terry
  • @angelcake, the reason CheersT is asking if you have met your fiance is because what you are describing is the classic plot of an online romance scam. There is no way that an American citizen would not be allowed to contact his consulate if he were in jail in Nigeria. Just be very very careful. The devoted single father working in Nigeria with a sick child, suddenly having an accident or getting into trouble and needing money urgently... all trademarks of online scamming. If you have never met this man DO NOT send him money. Read through other posts on this thread and you will see this same story again and again. Good luck.
  • @angelcake. I am certain you have never met your fiance and I am 100% sure this is a scam. Do not send this man any money.

This man can contact you, but he cannot contact the US Embassy - not true. His employers, would be all over this like a rash, do not say its his its his company because that is also a lie. The Nigerian government only deals with large well known companies , they hire expat labour, who live in compounds with hired security. Your so called fiance would not be left alone in jail with only you to send money, its all lies.

He is not a good man he is a scammer and everything he has told you are lies, you have been groomed until he is sure you love and adore him and then he swoops in for the money. Once you send one lot of money he will ask for more and more, until you have nothing then he will be gone. Get out now.

http://www.watchforscams.com/nigerian-dating-scams.html
    http://forum.wordtravels.com/discussion/2959/scams-in-lagos-africa
    http://forum.wordtravels.com/discussion/2959/scams-in-lagos-africa/p1

• Sadly that is true. He is indeed a scammer.