Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines: http://forum.wordtravels.com/discussion/17906/word-travels-guidelines-for-forum-posts/
Check out our country and city guides at www.wordtravels.com

USA looking to move to Tunisia

edited July 31 in - Tunisia
I am from the United States and I am Muslim..I have interest in living in Tunis,Tunisia I am retired and receive enough income to live there comfortably.. In your opinion would they consider me? I am female.

Comments

• @tkellis. My first question is 'have you ever visited Tunisia?' Life can be difficult here even for the locals. You certainly will need trusted tunisian friends to help you manage. I presume you have Arabic? We use a dialect here that barely resembles standard Arabic so you will need to learn quickly if you want to manage day to day.

It will not be a problem for you to be accepted as a resident as you have money (king here). You need to bring a minimum of foreign currency equivalent to TND10,000 annually. I personally don't advise to bring more than you will need each year. Give me some more information about why you want to come here and what you know and I can give you much more advice
  • @tkellis
    Lesley is correct in everything she says.
    Why Tunisia? Its a long way from the USA and you may find things in Tunisia to be quite a culture shock.
    Have you thought about healthcare, there is no Blue Cross or Obamacare in Tunisia.
    Just being a Muslim is not really enough for you to live in Tunisia.
  • Yes i understand that being Muslim is not enough..I really love how straight forward you are here.. it's refreshing to get truth..i have only one friend in Tusinia.. and I am working on my Arabic.. and you have guessed he is male. I have been reading your post and there is no way he will be allowed in USA from what you have told others.. and I'm not a desperate in an online love affair.. i would really like the adventure and leasing a a place at beach would be ideal for me.. do i think I'll go over there and fall madly in love with this guy... probably not. Do i worry about that.. not in the least. But my income more than doubles there..I have insurance that I pay for and make 40,000.00 a year American dollars..and of course i would visit first to make sure i could handle the culture.. I've raised goats for 25 years milking 2 times a day 30 plus... cared for my 11 horses at the same time with very little help.. also a full time position delivering a 100 mile a day route for mail that had 700 customers.. I'm used to things being hard.. Hopefully it has prepared me for just about anything..
    I do thank you for your response.. any ideas on the matter would be welcomed.. even if you want to tell me I'm crazy...i would love starting a business there if possible. Something to do with clothing.. as I enjoy design but never had much time available too work with it...
  • I think Tunisa sounds perfect for a 4 week vacation for you... just to check things out...

Good luck. You're approaching this in a very common sense manner, thank God.

All the best to you.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • @tkellis - well just be prepared...........the life you describe is not difficult in Tunisian terms believe me. Here the struggle is to find the money to feed a family. Living day to day is the hardest thing here so your life to a Tunisian would seem great, and wow they would think you are very, very rich having a good job and so many animals. The culture here is vastly different to anything you know. I agree with @CheersTerry come here for a short vacation and take a good look around. And the man? Well he wants sex/money/visa and not necessarily in that order.
  • tkellis, may I suggest you be careful in how your money is spent and test the waters. there is many sites on Tunisia and the men. if you buy a house, be careful again their laws are different I have seen where a man went and had house put his name and evicted his wife. His wife lost a lot of money.
    They woo woo you first year and watch out the next year. I suggest to make sure he is working.

I have been thru 2 husbands---when I got kidney cancer guess he thought I was dying. He found a german woman and continue to play his role till he got caught. but yes give him money it is pocket change. they are used to the more money they milk you the better.

living with you for some time will then process to lets move to America. he is patient to play his role and looking to succeed. if he doesn't then comes temper tantrums.
    try and keep eyes and ears alert
    do see for a month.