Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines:
Check out our country and city guides at



Thanx a whole lot for the past adivise I am so happy with it and we are better with my baby. A short reminder, I married a danish but he died last year leaving me pregnant. Now I have our baby.

Now... I need to acquire my daughter's danish citizenship so she can be registered as a danish and have an identity number. I contacted the embassy and they sent to me DANISH CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION FORMS. Please I need your advise before starting any process so that the case come out successful. Do I need to accompany them with any more information other than the required certificates?

Secondly, the last section requires the baby's father to acknowledge her birth and sign, but he is dead, so what should I do?
They also ask about the Applicant's attachment to Denmark ...should I mention about my baby's grand parents? What other information may I include that is helpful? Can my husband's parents help any how?

Please advise me about what I should or shouldn't do about this.

I will be so glad to be helped through this as well. Thanx and thanx alooot for this great great job.


  • To clarify, we are in south Africa but am a Ugandan citizen. Also our marriage was satified by the Ugandan government and Danish embassy in Uganda but was not yet registered in Denmark .can that affect this case?
  • @Annmary
    You should send as much information as possible with the application.
    Marriage certificate, death certificate baby's birth certificate and of course you mention the Danish grandparents, they could write a letter
    Acknowledging your marriage.
    If a marriage certificate is ratified by the Danish embassy then it is recognised by the Danish government.
    All the best for your application
  • Thanx @Alethia .

    Should I send it without anyone's acknowledgement, or can grandparents sign on behalf of her father? Also can her unabridged birth certificate be satisfied by the commissioner of oaths at police station or where else?

    Lastly do I have to write anything separately as to why I apply for the citizenship or I only send the forms ?

    Thanx much
  • edited May 2017
    Just send the original birth certificate no need for any oaths or certification.
    Send a simple cover letter with the form. Do not write a lot. Explain your husband passed away and give name and address of grand parents.
    The grand parents cannot sign instead of the father.
  • Okay .thanx dear. Will do that.
  • Hi Alethia, thank you for all the help and advice, I posted the application and all requested documents to the embassy 5 months ago but I have not heard from the embassy since then. I traveled about 1000km to the embassy only to find out that the secretary received my parcel and kept it some where. She never handed it over to the consular officer. I was very disapointed. This was last month. So i spoke to the consular guy and considering my condition, he was so touched and asked the danish foreign affairs to process my case on expedit procedure so my baby can have a danish pasport soon as possible and said he will do what he can for us to relocate to denmark. But theres a problem i need to ask for advise please once again

    The embassy requested for a satified birth certificate, i had laminated it for safety because am not staying in a secure environment, the foreign affairs here says they dont verify laminated documents ,i didnt know because i always verify a copy not original. In this case the embassy needs the original verified. The foreign affairs says i must get a new birth certificate from home affairs. Unfortunately, my visa is expired , and i have not been yet given asylum because they havent been issuing to new applicants for a while. The home affairs says they cant issue a new birth certificate unless if i produce a valid permit in my pasport.

    What do you think i should do?

    Secondly do you think i can be allowed to go to denmark from south africa if my daugthers citizenship is approved when i hold a ugandan passport and am not home since we requre a visa? Or
    As a mother of a danish citizen do i have any right to travel from here or do i have to go back to uganda first?

    What do you think ?

    Thank you so much for your advise
  • edited December 2017
    You can travel from South Africa only if your legally resident there.So you may need to go to Uganda.You will require a visa to go to Denmark.
    No country European country accepts laminated documents, this was a silly thing to do and you must no do this with any legal documents.
    You need to ask a South African friend to
    Obtain a copy of the birth certificate.
Sign In or Register to comment.