Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines: http://forum.wordtravels.com/discussion/17906/word-travels-guidelines-for-forum-posts/
Check out our country and city guides at www.wordtravels.com

Best cities in Russia and ideal way to explore the countryside?

Hey, guys!

So, I'm taking my gap year this year and I've always wanted to travel around Russia - we learned about it in history class and I just think the history and culture is fascinating and I want to learn more! I know for a fact that I will be arriving in Moscow and spending a bit of time there, but is St Petersburg really worth visiting or is it just more of the same? Also, I've heard great things about going on adventures out into the more wild Russian countryside - do you have any advice on some of the better trips I could take?

Thanks so much! I can't wait for the responses! :)

Love and Light
Sammy

Comments

• edited July 14
    Hi, Sam

Russia would make an excellent start to your gap year! If you're interested in history and culture then St Petersburg is definitely a must-see. Before the revolution, St Petersburg was the capital of Russia and the cultural centre of Eastern Europe. I would recommend a tour through the Winter Palace, which also houses a fantastic and well curated art museum.

Aside from St Petersburg, I would also recommend a trip down to Sochi, on the Black Sea. In summer it's great for spending time in the water, and in winter you can head up to the nearby ski resort, Krasnaya Polyana, which was refurbished for the 2014 Winter Olympics.

Lastly, the best way to witness the majesty of the Russian countryside is to take the Trans-Siberian Railway across Russia (you can also take it through to China or Mongolia, if you want to spend the rest of your gap year in other parts of Asia).

What time of year are you planning on going?

I hope this was helpful! You should also check out Word Travels' guide to Russia to get some more ideas for your adventure!

Best wishes
    Luke
    Check out our full, up to date travel guides on the Word Travels website.
  • Hey, Luke!

Thanks so much for your advice! I'll be spending at least 6 months in Russia, and so I'll definitely get a chance to witness the best of both worlds :).

Thanks again!

Sammy