Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines: http://forum.wordtravels.com/discussion/17906/word-travels-guidelines-for-forum-posts/
Check out our country and city guides at www.wordtravels.com

E6 Artist/Entertainer Visa for Self Employed

Is the E6 Artists visa suitable for someone who is self employed as a Fashion Designer and Artist? Or would a different one be better?

I want to move to Korea in future and plan on becoming a permanent resident and want to make sure I know all relevant information in advanced. Everything is designed/sold online so I can continue everything even after I move and I hold no stock. I am self-teaching Korean and plan to reach at least Intermediate level Korean and have a regular income before I move. I already know you need to live in Korea for 5 years before you can apply for this. I have no family connections with Korea and nor do I plan on marrying anyone just for a visa.

Any advice on this and info on the minimum bank balance that would accepted as enough to support myself and a small child (currently 6) would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• @aomojikei
    You would not qualify for the E6 visa. That is for performing artists i.e. dancers actors etc not painters.
  • Really? That's not my understanding from the MOFA website
    "Eligible Applicants
    - People who plan to work in the following areas for the purpose of making profit: music, art, literature, sports, entertainment (e.g. acting, musical performances), advertisements, fashion modelling"
  • "... Really? That's not my understanding from the MOFA website..."

What kind of artist are you specifically?

Cheers,
    Terry
  • I create digital abstract/psychedelic canvases, I'm learning to scuplt digitally for 3D printing and I've recently gone into designing wallpaper on Spoonflower. My understanding of the word "art" includes all forms but no where I've checked specifies any particular branch so I'm assuming digital painting and sculptures are acceptable with other forms of art.

Jo
  • edited August 13
    "... so I'm assuming digital painting and sculptures are acceptable with other forms of art..."

I believe your assumption is wrong. The Visa is specifically for artists working for profit and that is usually interpreted as people entering the country for a specific artistic job and working for a specific wage.

If they opened it up to anyone who simply called themselves an artist then the Visa would be meaningless, anyone could apply.

Good luck.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Ah. I had hoped this was the one I needed as long as I could prove it's my job and how long I have been doing it for.
    Thank you Terry.

Jo
  • "... I had hoped this was the one I needed as long as I could prove it's my job and how long I have been doing it for..."

Unfortunately, that's immaterial. It's the job/money that you're doing in Korea that's important. You don't get a Visa for a foreign country based on what you did in the past, in your own country.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • I would be continuing the work I am currently doing when I move and the previous time spent doing this would be proof I am competent enough to do so and be self sufficient so why would it be immaterial? Fashion Design and Art are part of my current AND future career that I would be continuing while in Korea.

Either way I have emailed an enquiry to the Embassy and will see what they have to say.
  • Good luck.

Cheers,
    Terry