Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines: http://forum.wordtravels.com/discussion/17906/word-travels-guidelines-for-forum-posts/
Check out our country and city guides at www.wordtravels.com

What do I need in order to marry US/Iranian boyfriend in Turkey?

edited August 28 in - Turkey
This discussion was created from comments split from: Weddings in Turkey.

Comments

• Hello @Alethia ,
    I'm Parichehr from iran. Me and my iranian boyfriend(who's also have US citizenship) want to get married in turkey. My question is do i need my father's permission letter over there? Or what documents do i, need exactly?
    Thanks for your help
  • edited August 25
    @Parichehr
    If your are over the age of 18 you do not need your fathers permission to marry.

Weddings in Turkey are not religious they are civil weddings recognised as legal throughout the world.

Documents you need are as follows:

1. The narriage petition ( Evlenme Beyannamesi) you obtain form this from the beladiya marriage office.The marriage office will also tell you which clinic to go to for your blood tests which are required for marriage in Turkey
    2. Passport
    3.Birth certificate
    4. If married before the death or divorce certificate
    5. Certificate of Eligibility to marry ( Evlenme Ehliyat Belgesi) This shows your single and free to marry
    This you obtain from the Iranian Embassy who can be unhelpful and will ask lots of questions about your fiance. They are unhelpful to everyone not just women If you could get this document from Iran it will save you a lot of time.
    All these documents must be translated into Turkish.

Your Anerican fiancee needs to go to this website
    Tr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/marriage/
    He must follow this procedure to marry in Turkey.
    You need to allow plenty of time as collecting the documents from embassies etc takes a few days.
    I hope this helps you.
  • @Alethia
    Thanks for your help Alethia. I want to know if you experience this before? I mean an iranian couple marry in turkey without their parents
    Can you tell me more about the process details
  • edited August 28
    @Parichehr
    Thousands of people marry in Turkey without their parents. You do not need parents present at a wedding to marry in Turkey if your over 18. Turkey is not governed by religious law it is a secular country unlike Iran, religious weddings are illegal in Turkey.

Also for the purpose of this wedding it is easier if your partner uses his US passport as he will find it easier to obtain the affidavit of eligibility to marry.

You must go the the marriage office in the area that you will be staying. They will give you the marriage petition and a wedding date.
    They will also tell you which clinic/hospital to go to for your blood tests

If neither of you speaks Turkish you will require a translator as all your documents must be translated into Turkish. You will also need the translator for the wedding ceremony which is in Turkish.

If you do not know some one who can translate for you the services of a translator can be found at the office of a Notary who can also translate your documents.

Once your documents are translated your Certificate of eligibility obtained you must go to the governors office where an apostille is attached. This is usually free of charge.
    After this you take all the documents and photos to the marriage office and then you can marry.

Good luck
  • Thanks for your help @Alethia
  • Hello again @Alethia
    some iranian guy in turkey told me that i should get Certificate of Eligibility to marry from Iran embassy in Istanbul which needs father's permission letter for not married girls!
    It's an iranian law for giving this certificate to iranian not married girls. Is that right??
  • And they don't want father's permission to give me this certificate in iran. But someone told me that the Turkish government do not accept it and i should probably get it from Iran embassy in Istanbul!
    Is that right?
  • edited September 18
    @Parichehr
    If you read my answer to your original post. I told you to go to tbe Iranian embassy for the certificate or from Iran whichever is easier for you. It makes no difference. Stop listening to people who do not have the correct facts.

The certificate of eligibility must be translated to Turkish.