Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines: http://forum.wordtravels.com/discussion/17906/word-travels-guidelines-for-forum-posts/
Check out our country and city guides at www.wordtravels.com

South African/Canadian Citizen - Expired SA Passport

I am traveling to SA in December and just found out my SA passport had expired. I wont be able to get a new one in time so I am wondering if someone knows the current laws on traveling with my Canadian passport into my country of birth. I know I don’t need a visa as a Canadian but I am pretty sure that legally you have to have a valid SA passport and use it to enter the country. Does nylons know anything or have any suggestions on this topic?

Thanks,

Izak

Comments

• You must enter and exit South Africa on your South African passport.

That said, South Africa Immigration is fairly lax about catching this so in your position I would simply have your expired passport handy with documentation proving that you've applied for a new passport so if you run into hassle at Immigration then hopefully that's enough to smooth things out.

As a citizen they can't deny you entry. The most you would be facing is the usual hassle at the airport and a fine if convicted.

Have a great trip.

Cheers,
    Terry