Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines:
Check out our country and city guides at

Things to do in Florida besides Disney World

edited February 20 in - USA
Hi all,

So I’m heading off to Disney World this year with my family. My kids are so thrilled and I must say, so am I. If only to get away from things for a while. It’s great to see them so happy and excited!

Just wanted to know if there are any other attractions in Florida (or perhaps Orlando in particular) that I should look into? Anything off the radar I may have missed? Maybe some stuff for me and the wife to do if we can get some daycare program or day camp for the children, maybe for a day or an evening.

Cheers for the help!

• @Bertie

Disney World or to give it its correct name Walt Disney World Resort is a purpose built entertainment complex of approximately 50 square miles set in Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista, Orlando Florida, To put into into context it is bigger than the cities of Edinburgh, Manchester or Leeds in the UK

It is almost impossible to imagine just how enormous it is. With four theme parks and two water parks, as well as hotels, restaurants, golf courses, a campsite and loads more, I dont think you underestand the size of Disney World it is not just one theme park but comprises of the following:-

There are 4 Disney theme parks, MGM, Epcot, Magic Kingdom, and Animal Kingdom.
    After the disney parks there are other places to visit

Universal Studio
    Universal Islands of Adventure
    Busch Gardens
    Blizzard Beach water park
    Typhoon Lagoon water park

If that is not enough there are wildlife and boating excursions. So I am sure you can find something to do.
  • @Bertie

What time of year are you going?
  • @Alethia
    Thanks! Yeah, it's pretty massive. We were thinking of heading down to Tampa Bay or Miami for some beach adventures but looks like we can get our fill without even leaving the park.

Well, we're scheduled to go in June. Why do you ask? I think the weather should be fine!
  • @Bertie
    I was only asking because the Ultra Music Festival and Spring Break is in full swing in March, both of which aren't very suitable for kids. But I think you'll be fine.

My kids loved SeaWorld and Discovery Cove in Orlando, perhaps even more than Disney. But if you're looking for something to do with the kids that's much cheaper than Disney world, Miami has some great activities like Jungle Island and the Miami Children's Museum.
  • @Bertie
    Spring break is in March and only lasts for two weeks it will be over by June.
    Miami is nearly four hours drive from Orlando so by the time you have hired a car ,or flown there, it will make your holiday more expensive.