Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines: http://forum.wordtravels.com/discussion/17906/word-travels-guidelines-for-forum-posts/
Check out our country and city guides at www.wordtravels.com

Visiting tunisian boyfriend

I am planning on visiting Tunisian boyfriend, I am from Europe. He says that he has to sign some paper in the police station that during my visit I am going to be under his custody (he told me it is necessary for us to walk in the streets together or to rent an apartment together). He is unemployed and doesn't have money currently so I am going to pay for apartment rent. He says he has to rent the apartment with his name and it is important that to show in the police station when signing the papers. He wants me to transfer money to his credit card, which I am probably not going to do.
My questions are: is there a paper that he has to sign in a police station?
Is it ok if I rented the apartment with my credit card and payed for it, but he can also stay with me? Would there be problem for us to stay in a rental apartment because we are not married?
Tagged:

Comments

• @Aliciaa
    Run as far away from this man as possible. What he has told you is a pack of lies from start to finish.
    1. You do not need to be in any ones custody, there is no paper to sign
    you can walk in the street with him, go for meals in restaurants or coffee, he is not
    your keeper. Tunisians cannot share a hotel room with a foreign woman unless they are
    married.
    2. Do not transfer any money to him.
    3. Have you never heard of AIRBNB where you can rent an apartment, your boyfriend can
    then visit/stay with you.

I am seriously concerned about you staying in an apartment with a man you have never met, in a country you obviously know nothing about. You think its acceptable to get off the plane and go and stay in a rented apartment with a man you have only "met" on the internet. You need to think seriously about your safety.

You also need to find out more about Tunisia instead of listening to the lies this man is telling you. If I were you I would have nothing more to do with this man.

@Lesley is a senior member who has lived in Tunisia for many years, hopefully she will be along to give you more advice.

• edited April 3
    @Aliciaa .....RUN. this guy is spinning you. The only nearly truth is that you should register with the police. If you stay in a hotel they would normally register you. This is for your safety only. DO NOT PAY FOR ANYTHING. He is what we csll a bezness boy. In the shopping for a visa business. Ask yourself why he wants an apartment in his name. I will tell you - when you leave the next sucker will move in and any money you have paid, her money will go to him.

Wake up honey......he is playing you no matter what he tells you it is lies. That is something these boys are very good at.

I live here I understand the culture the language and behaviors. Save yourself and cut the contact. You won't hurt him as he has a few more on the go.
  • Thank you for your answers. I have serious doubts too that he really cares about me (though it is so unbelievable, that he has lied many months). Alethia, You say that I could rent an apartment and he could visit me or stay with me even in the night? Then I could tell him that and see what he will answer to that. I am not going to transfer any money to him.
    Thank you both for support.
  • edited April 3
    @Aliciaa
    You can rent an apartment securely through AIRBNB.
    Why would you want to see to see this man after he has lied to you?
    Tunisian men play the long game when they are doing "bezness". As Lesley said he probably has other women on the go.dont be taken in by this man
  • edited April 4
    "... You say that I could rent an apartment and he could visit me or stay with me even in the night?..."

Why in the world would you sleep with a 100% scammer who is lying to you?!?!

Unbelievable!

Cheers,
    Terry
  • If I decide to travel and not to see him at all I will have to register myself in the police anyway, right? If I am staying in a rented apartment. How does it work, do I go to any police station and say that I want to register myself as a tourist? I have heard that that tourist have to pay tax of visiting Tunisia. Is that right? How and where to pay for that?
  • edited April 4
    @Aliciaa
    If you rent an an Airbnb apartment your host will register you.
    You only have to register with the police if you rent an a private apartment from an individual Its for your safety.
    Tourists do not have to pay any sort of taxes. Is this another of your internet boyfriends stories?
    I suggest that the first time you visit Tunisia you go on an a tour /package holiday and stay in a hotel. You sound very naive and should not be travelling alone
  • @Aliciaa . Good luck finding an Airbnb. Don't think they are here yet. However you do have to pay a departure tax of TND30.

I think you need to do a lot of research if you want to visit here. If you come on your own which area will you visit. Do you speak French or Arabic. If not then forget it unless you come on a tour.

Go to Hawaii for a couple days
  • @Lesley
    Airbnb are in Tunisia. I double checked.
  • "... If I decide to travel and not to see him at all I will have to register myself in the police anyway, right? If I am staying in a rented apartment. How does it work, do I go to any police station and say that I want to register myself as a tourist? I have heard that that tourist have to pay tax of visiting Tunisia. Is that right? How and where to pay for that?..."

Do NOT go to Tunisia by yourself. It is not a destination for an inexperienced, naive, first time traveler. If you want to visit then book yourself onto a group tour where everything is handled for you.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • @Alethia . Yes you are right. I checked Too!! Don't think I would do it here though for obvious reasons