Safety in Tunisia for tourists

Comments

• edited 8:26AM
    Hi i am going to tunisia later this month we are going to skanes what is the weather like this time of the year?
    songest2007 - the weather is starting to become warmer, it will be mild to warm during the day in Skanes but the nights are still cool and you will need a pullover or jacket to keep out the chill.

I hope you will enjoy your vacation with us
    Thanks looking forward to it a bit worried about the hotel we staying in as read some bad bad reviews
    Hi there we have just booked to stay at the sahara beach hotel in skanes on 27th july, my husband thinks im being ridiculus but im soo worried as everyone who i tell that we are off to tunisia says we must be mad going anywhere near an arab country with all the upset at the moment!..now im soo worried that us and our children wont be safe out there and have wasted a lot of money, do you think we should of booked to go else where?

Many Thanks :0)
    Mikey - you should be more worried about the heat in July than any problems believe me!! Tunisia is calm and peaceful. Our revolution has been and gone and our elections will be on 24 July. Yes we are an Arab country but we are also a North African country. there is no upset here, it is safe probably safer than where you live right now!! You and your children will be safe and happy and you will I am sure enjoy your vacation here with us very much. Remember to bring lots of sunscreen though.
    Thankyou so much for replying, you have made me feel a lot better!.....so the elections may cause more protesting? but shouldnt effect us, right?
    30 degrees...wow, will certainly need lots of sunscreen!

:0)
    we are acutually flying out july 24th not July 27th!
    Hi Lesley,

Me and my friend are thinking of visiting Tunisia in September. We are both female, will we be safe?

Which resort should we pick to stay in? which is the safest?

Also could you tell me what the weather will like in September?

Many Thanks
    Sarah - you will both be safe. Please keep in mind that part of September we will have Ramadan which ends around 11 September so you might want to come after that. It depends what you want to do as to which city you should stay in. If you want to see some of Tunisian life then perhaps you can try Sousse or Hammamet or even Nabeul which is my personal favourite. If you want a more quiet area then perhaps you should try Port el Kantaoui which has a lot of foreigners. I am unable to refer or suggest actual resorts to you. Also be aware that our star rating of hotels is very different to that in Europe. For example a 3* here is more like a 2* in reality. The old saying is true here - you get what you pay for
    Mikey - yes, I am sure there will be protests and gatherings and mutterings about the candidates, the voting etc. but it will be safe so you shouldn't worry. You will find the temperatures can be more than 30c and in skanes can get a lot hotter. It's wise to stay indoors during the hottest part of the day but if you need to be outside make sure you take a lot of water with you.
    Thanks Lesley, also if we wanted to go on a desert trek, would we be too far away if we were to stay somewhere like Sousse?
    Thankyou so much Lesley for you comments, u really have made me feel alot less anxious.....X
    Sarah - everywhere here is a long way from the desert, however, there are many companies that will collect you and take you to the desert for between 1 and 3 nights. There are many travel agents in sousse that can assist and many of the hotels can even organise this for you.
    Hi there i am thinking of booking for tunisia in october. 2 adults a 17 year old girl and a 15 year old boy. I am a bit apprehensive with all the trouble thats been happening. Can you tell me if it will be ok to travel then. Thanks
    mar - I have replied to and written quite a few posts on this subject. Tunisia is very calm and peaceful now. Tourists and foreigners would not even know that we had a revolution!! We had trouble for only a few weeks and it has finished!! Yes, there is a problem in Libya but this is not Libya. Our ex-president fled the country unlike a lot of the others so the major problem fled leaving us with freedom. Our elections are at the end of July and by October we will have stable government, the path to total democracy and peace and happiness.

So please come and we wait to welcome you
    Thank you for ur comment Lesley, i think i will def b booking now :)
    HI ME MY WIFE AND 2 GIRLS ARE GOING TO SKANES TUNISIA ON THE 5TH JUNE,STAYING AT CARIBBEAN WORLD.SEEN SOME BAD REVIEWS ABOUT THE HOTEL,HAS ANYONE BEEN.WHATS THE WEATHER LIKE IN JUNE.ALSO IS IT EXPENSIVE FOR FOOD,DRINK ETC
    I am travelling to Djerba on Sat 14th May, will it be warmer than Spain and also can I get currency before I arrive or is available from Djerba Airport?

thank you
    Geordie - many of our hotels get bad reviews simply because people expect more than we can provide. Our star system rating is different to Europe. I can't comment on the hotel but it is quite popular. Our prices are going up since the revolution (normal) but you will still find it much cheaper than you are used to. but if you are buying alcohol then that is expensive here. Skanes will be very, very hot in June it is summer here at that time so make sure you have sunscreen and drink plenty of water.
    Zoe - Djerba is an island off our east coast and as such is not as hot as inland. But the temperatures can get quite high. right now we are in the low to mid 20c but as I don't know where in Spain you are I can't tell you if it is hotter. Our currency is a closed currency meaning that it can't be bought or exchanged outside the country. You will find exchange booths/banks at the airport on your arrival.

Hope you have a great stay.
    Hi Lesley, have heard on CNN that the Tunisian Authority's have a new curfew in place due to further trouble, are you aware if it will disrupt holiday makers in the coastal resorts.
    Micker - ok the whole of Tunisia is not under curfew and certainly not the tourist resorts on the coast. Please take what CNN report with a large dose of hmmm??? there are still some protests in the capital Tunis and in some villages in the south. All normal stuff post revolution. It is safe, there is no problems for tourists and we are so happy to see you all coming here.

Have a wonderful vacation
    Hi there, sorry to sound so repetitive but me and my partner are travelling to Hammamet for a week in June and since we've booked people have shown concern for our safety.
    Personally I don't think there's anything to worry about, but I just wanted to clarify that everything is perfectly safe and we will experience no trouble?

Thank you x
    Sarah1ou - you are correct, you should not worry! Hammamet is a very touristique area and is safe, calm and peaceful. You will be perfectly safe and will have no trouble.

Enjoy your vacation
    Hi there. Me and my wife are going to stay in Hammamet for 1 one week in June, in the Iberostar Averroes. My questions is:

1 - It is safe for us, going in trips?
    2 - What trips do you recomend?
    3 - How is the sea in this time of year, temperature, waves, etc...

Thank you very much.
    Best regards.
    @NNunes - with respect, have you read any of the posts already made on this thread? The question of safety has been answered many times - YES, it is safe to visit and tour Hammamet, and Tunisia in general. There is no evidence to the contrary...
    Cheers David - maybe I should start a thread Tunisia post revolution!!! NNunes, yes it is safe for you, yes it is safe to walk outside your hotel. Hammamet is full of tourists and there are no problems. the sea is still cold, the temperature is in the high 20's low 30's yes there can be waves but hey this aint Hawaii!!!
    Thank's DavidF and Lesley.

Sory about the repeat question about security.

About the trips, any recomendation? first time in Tunisia... :)

Thanks.
    @NNunes - for starters, check out our guide to Tunisia and its many attractions
    hi Leslie, im Cristina, im 18..and i will travel to tunisia on 3rd of July.I will stay to a friend of mine(girl) with her family for 20 days. I also have a tunisian boyfriend thAt i will meet for the fist time. I know him good enough from facebook as we were chatting for 2 years. Here i have some questions for you:1.i have heard that the water there has many bacteria.is that true..and if yes will this hurt my health? 2. i will travel alone is there anything that i should be aware of? 3.my passport is albanian but i was born and live in Greece now. Can i travel without any problems? Is it necessary to have a visa? and how should i get it? 4. I will be mostly among teenagers but i have heard the young boys are very naughty and stare girls a lot. Should i wear specific clothes? I will be waiting for your response as soon as possible.Thanks...

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler