best time to go to Tunisia?

Comments

• edited 6:16AM
    Hi Christine and thank you for your lovely comments. We are very proud of what we have achieved, albeit with the large loss of life and wounded but they become are martyrs and will be honoured. Mabrouk to you for your marriage and you are going to have a great time here. Just a word - please make sure that your hotel is open and operating. Many of the hotels have been closed so it is wise to check.

Have a great time here in Tunisie
    hi Lesley, my husband, myself and our 10 year old are coming to tunisia for our holidays on the 14 august 2011, we are staying at the Soviva Resort in Port el Kantaoui. I was wondering if you could recomend any good excursions for us, were on a all inclusive basis but still want to get out and about to see this beautiful destination, could you also tell us what the temperature will likely to be thanx Nikky
    Hi Nikky - there are lots of day excursions! I suggest that you go to Tunis our capital for a day, wander the old city and the souq, it is wondrous. Then nearer to you is Nabeul which is the centre of potter/ceramic production also with a great medina and souq. A day in Hammamet, Sousse would also be a good idea. You can get to all these places easily on the louage or by taxi quite cheaply. Keep in mind though that it will be Ramadan and it will be very hot! Enjoy your vacation
    lesley thank-you so much for the reply. Youve been very helpful im already excited im counting down the weeks 24 on Sunday lol. But seriously thank-you know doubt ill be asking you something else before we come to Tunisia xxxxxx
    Nikky - well we are certainly ready to give you a warm welcome. And I'm happy to answer all the questions.
    Hi Lesley! we are traveling in Tunisia on april the 28 2011 we are staying in Sousse Marhaba beach hotel, how is the situation right now in Sousse? We also want to go see Tarbaka the coastal town suppose to be very nice, can we take a taxi from Sousse or is it better to take the bus?
    Hi chance - welcome to Tunisia. The situation now right around Tunisia is calm and peaceful. We have a new PM and we now wait for our elections in July. There are no more protests. Tabarka is very beautiful with a lovely beach and great restaurants, however, it is a long, long way from Sousse. A taxi will be very, very expensive and it is very difficult to get a bus to Tabarka. The only way you could do this is to take the louage from Sousse to Tunis and then change there. It will probably take you 4 hours this way. If you really want to go just for the day then I suggest you hire a car and drive there. The road into Tabarka is not good so take care if you decide to do that.
    Thank you! 4hrs is good cause we will be staying there 2 nights 3 days we think on going hiking and enjoying the lovely beach. Can`t wait !! Thanks again :)

Chance
    Chance - that's great then. Enjoy your time in Tabarka it really is a beautiful spot
    HI Lesley! what about the money!! how does it work can we bring Canadien money? or is it easier with American money?
    Chants - you would be better to bring US$ as it is more easily exchanged. But you should watch the ex rate as it has been going up/down quite a lot. And remember not to take any dinars out of the country when you leave. It is a closed currency and you can't convert outside Tunisia. Also, the duty free does not accept dinar so forget about using the last few there LOL!!
    I've just returned from Sousse, absolutely wonderful place. The people are so friendly and helpful, apart from the usual 'come spend in my shop' pressure but you get that most places. They're just making a living!
    I went alone and as a single female I wasn't sure what kind of reception i'd get but they couldn't of been nicer and treated me with great respect.
    I'm going back in May!!!
    Hi Lesley !! I will be going to pek in a few days and wondered what the temperature will be like during 12:30-2:00 as i want to maybe get in the beach. I know its spring and its warm but is it swimmable and how many degrees C is it there?

P.S Are there any ladies only beaches around pek and sousse and do you have any must brings like certain clothes, mosquito sprays, sunglasses etc....
    living la vida - so, so pleased that you had a wonderful time!! We are nice here LOL. And welcome back in May, the weather will be even nicer
    tunislover - the temperature at the moment in PEK are highs of around 20-25c during the day and dropping to 12-14c during the night. So you could quite possibly sunbake during the day but the water is still pretty cold for swimming. there are no ladies only beaches but if you want a little more security you should consider staying by the hotel swimming pool. You should bring clothes that are a little more modest than those in the west. If you want to walk around, shopping etc you will feel much more comfortable being covered a little more and will gain the respect of the locals. Bring a French phrase book - even though some of the traders speak some English, French and Arabic are used as the norm here. You can find everything else you will need in the pharmacies and supermarkets so don't worry about loading up your suitcase!!
    hi i am booked to go to mahaba hotel sousse on may 10th is it safe to go ?
    is there any areas i should avoid visiting?
    debs - it is perfectly safe in Sousse and the major tourist centres. there are still some protests in the capital Tunis and in some of the areas in the south, but nothing that you should worry about. Normal stuff in the wake of a revolution.
    Hi Lesley,
    I am coming to Hammet in June and wondered what the weather will be like?
    I am coming with my boyfriend and we are both 22, is this a issue?
    We are staying in the Club Riu Marco Polo hotel.
    Is it safe to venture out to the towns? are the towns close? and what do they have to offer? Thanks xx
    lauren - In June the weather will be quite hot although sometimes the sea breeze can make the nights cool. If your boyfriend is not a Tunisian then there will be no problem. Yes, of course it is safe to venture out. Hammamet is a great vibrant place but go and visit Sousse which has a lovely medina and souq and also Nabeul, the centre of ceramics and pottery and my personal favourite town in Tunisie

have a great vacation
    hi, me and my boyfriend are planning to go to mahdia in an all inclusive hotel, we're both 20. i'm a little worried about the dress code, will i not be able to wear shorts and things?

Thanks, Amy
    Hi am planning to visit tunisia in october with my friend and wanted advice on where to stay whether hotel or rent apartment we arrive in tunis then not sure if we should go hammamet or sousse ,also how much is the food costs takeaways and in the supermarkets, also is it easy to find local tourguides who wont rip us off?
    Amy - Mahdia is a conservative area and you should not wear skimpy clothing outside of your hotel. Please remember that although Tunisia is relatively liberal we are still an Islamic country and you should respect that. Also it will be easier for you to interact with the locals and not have as much hassle from the males!
    Hello Lesley, appreciate for your time and all the thoughts you've given so far.

Me and my girlfriend are planning to come to El Kantoui next week, but we saw the political alert on tripadvisor. Is it safe to come and stay for 10 days?

Thanks.
    1st time to tunisia in july flying with tunisair would like some info on airline many thanks
    Christina - PEK is fine, it is safe and right now there are lots and lots of tourists. You will not have a problem. And yes, it is definitely the right time to come, it is hot and the nights now are very, very nice.

Enjoy yourselves
    jp - Tunisair is our flagship airline. It is a young modern fleet and the cabin crew are outstanding. they all speak a number of languages including English. All announcements are made in Arabic/English/French so you can understand everything. We use Tunisair all the time and they are great.

Enjoy your time here
    Hi Lesley We are coming back to Port El Kantaoui on the 18th March after our first visit in January. Can you tell me if the weather has improved since then as it was very cold when we were there and I`d like to know what kind of clothes to pack. Also I noticed your comment about Tunisian boyfriends. I met a man while I was over there who wants me to go over and stay with him and his parents. Is this frowned upon in Tunisia?
    Hi Jewels,

The weather is slowly becoming warmer and you will find the temps around high teens to low 20s. So I would pack lightweight with something warmer for the evenings as it's still cold when the sun goes down.

Let me guess - he's in animation?? Please be cautious and I advise against staying in the family home. Do you understand how Tunisians live? You can't share a bedroom with him (if indeed they have separate rooms). Please book yourself a hotel and you will feel comfortable and safe. And yes, it is frowned upon! Don't enter into a relationship with a Tunisian lightly. There are many scams here and you could end up being part of one
    Lesley,

Firsty i wanted to say what a great job your doing at answering everyones questions about Tunis.

Me and my girlfriend both 21 will be visiting Tunis the last week of April 2012 in PEK and were wondering
    1. temperature at this time/date
    2. whether it will be busy
    3. if your previous comments about the hotels being closed were only written in light of 2011's uprising?

Thank you so much.

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler