Dual citizenship, expired SA passport, can I enter on UK passport

Comments

• edited 11:16PM
    I am a Canadian citizen who gave up South African citizenship when I immigrated. I have an expired SA passport but no birth certificate. I would like to apply for work permit /visa for SA, does it make any difference that I was born/raised there - or is it non no bearing to the application process. I am an equipment designer / mechanical engineer. Does anyone know if that is a job that will disqualify from applying because it would take away a job from a SA citizen as described in an earlier post?
    Hi all,
    I am a SA citizen, I have applied for UK citizenship but I wasn't aware I had to apply for a retention of my SA citiship.
    I am in process of getting a British citizenship, I need to attend a citizenship ceremony in the next 3 moths to receive my british citizenship certificate.
    Can I still apply for the retention of my SA citisenship as I am british yet, or is it too late.

much appreciated

p
    Hi

I wonder if anybody could help? My children have dual Irish South African Citizenship however their SA passports have expired. (My wife and I's passports are still valid.) We are planning to return to SA April 2011 but see that you are now required to enter on your SA passport only. Does anybody know if this is applicable to minors as well ? We werent planning to renew their SA passports untill we arrived in SA.
    I'm a dual SA/UK citizen (born in SA) - my parents are from the UK but have permanent residence in SA for over 30yrs. I applied for my UK passport and left SA in Dec 2008 with no SA passport. At passport control they just checked my UK passport and SA ID book as I had no entry stamp in my passport. They asked for my SA passport but I advised I didn't have one and would attempt to obtain it while in the UK. I've now misplaced my SA birth certificate however I still have my ID book. How do I get my UK passport from London without a SA birth certificate? What documents are required and what's the process as I've emailed the SA Embassy in London numerous times over the past year with no response (typical SA style). I've been back to SA twice (late 2009 & 2010 and planned another trip later this year) with no issues (I get a 90 day visitors permit) but I'd rather do it legally with a SA Passport. I use my SA ID book when in SA as I have a SA credit card.
    My 30yr old son was born in SA to British parents. We left SA in 1998 and his SA passport expired in 2008. He has travelled to SA on his Uk passport several times with no problems, the latest trip being Feb 2011. He now wants to return to SA permanently but is unsure if he is allowed to do this. I assume he has dual nationality. How does he go about renewing his SA passport or has he lost that right? He still has his SA ID book, and the old passport, and a full unabridged SA birth certificate.
    We would appreciate any info.
    Thanks
    I am so worried-we've got dual citizenship. My family and I are travelling to SA in 4 days time . Last night I discovered that the kids sa passports expire while we are in SA. What do I do now - do I tell them when entering SA - what if they send us back to UK? or do we risk going in with our UK passports.
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Marianne
    I was born in SA to British parents who lived and worked there from 1974 until 1993. I moved with my mum to UK in 1993 at the age of 14 and have lived and worked in UK ever since.

I had a SA passport which expired in 1998 and I never renewed it, I have only ever had a UK once since. I am unsure if I have dual nationality now? Also can I enter SA on my UK passport - I have done so on 3 (1998, 2004 and 2009) occassions and have only been questioned once (in 2004). I was planning in renweing the SA passport while there as I live in Scotland and going to London to get a passport is a bit expensive.

I am planning on going to Sa in September and I am now paranoid that I will be denied entry! Any advice?
    Hi, I am a South African Citizen on South African passport and about to get my British passport after being here for many years. My husband and I however want to move back to South Africa at the end of this year. I have heard that if you are not in the UK for 2 years after you have received British citizenship that you lose your British passport. Is this true as don't want to waste the £1000 odd pounds if so.

Thanks
    Mandy
    Hi all,
    I am after some advice...
    My wife is from SA and she has dual nationality, however her SA passport expired last year and we are due to go to SA in September visiting family. I know she should enter & leave SA on the SA passport so we are getting it renewed, but I have heard rumblings that is can take up to 6 months to get her SA passport renewed?
    We live in Manchester, so popping down to London to go the SA consulate really isn't an option, but the website and phone communication is a little poor!
    My question is, would it be worthwhile to take a trip to London to get it all sorted out in one fell swoop, as there seem to be conflicting views on many forums that you can actually get the passport renewed in a fairly short time frame, IF you attend the main office? Does anyone know if this is true?

Cheers in advance
    Dan
    Hi all
    My daughter, now living abroad, holds dual citizenship (UK). She is due to visit SA this coming weekend but her SA passport expired a month ago. Does anyone know whether she'll be able to enter SA on her British passport, and then renew the SA passport whilst in SA? She is attempting today to get an emergency pasport via the Embassy, but we are concerned that she may not get it in time... Does anyone have any experience / advice - we would be most grateful. I tried calling home affairs this morning, and have had to hold for 20 minutes at a time...
    thanks
    a mom
    Hi, I would not bother contacting them via telephone. If I were her, I would enter and leave as a British tourist on the UK passport, then: either apply for a renewed passport at her leisure when she gets back, or apply here and have it couriered her when its ready (in about 6 weeks provided she has the new ID and her fingerprints are on the database).
    Danb - IMHO, based on family members who have done this, the London office can process you application right there, and have your passport returned to you in about 8 weeks or even less. It should entail one visit only, and you can get the passport couriered up to Manchester.
    We are now living in the UK and I applied for a renewal on my daughters SA passport on the 18th January 2011. I was told at the time (via the website) that this application can take up to 4 months. It is now May (4 months later) and have done a check to see the status as we are due for travel in November / December. The status website says that no application has been sent. I have sent an email to the SA consulate in London but had no response as yet. What is the best way of getting a response regarding the whereabout of the application as it contains personal information. It was posted to the London office via registered royal mail. Please assist with contact details
    Hi all,

My tale is one of caution to you all .... I have now lost my South African citizenship as I applied for my British Passport (through registration as my mother is British). The very rude and condescending lady at Home Affairs in London quite gleefully took both my outdated passport and temporary passport and cut the corners in front of me, then handed me a letter stating that I had "willingly" applied for another citizenship without prior request from South Africa and in doing so had contravened act so and so and so .....

Never mind the fact that I argued the Citizenship Amendement Act of 15 September 2004, and subsequent comments from Home Office stating that it was against human rights to disallow residents dual nationality, and that letters of approval were no longer needed.

She refused to budge. I have made contact with a fellow South African who had the same lady and he took his case to 702 radio and all in all the feedback from Home Office was that he was lying and they can change the laws whenever they want to, end of. Never mind the fact that both him and I were dealing with Mr Johannes Tiba, the past head of Immigrations and Civil Services! "That doesn't matter what he said" I was told.

So, please, before you apply for UK Citizenship or any other citizenship go in person to the Home Office and take all your papers with you, and do it there and then. Believe you me, both my Father and I have had to go there ourselves instead of waiting for email, phone or post. They actually lost my Fathers and he had to drive all the way down from Leeds to come and demand it from them.

Do not apply for any citizenship until you have acknowledgement from South African Home Office that you can do this.

Ironically, as we are born in SA, even if we lose our citizenship, we are still entitled to go back and live there and work. After 5 years we can then request for SA citizenship again.

It's all madness!
    Hi Rosy, I am in the same boat, do you know if there's been any movement on this? The SAHC web site (as far as I recall) had the same text as Page 1 of this post, namely that "inter alia" the system of letters for dual nationals doesn't apply - on that basis I didn't/couldn't apply for retention.

Is it worth me writing to the Commissioner or my parents' MP back in RSA?

Thanks
    John
    hey there..im not sure if this question has been asked but im going to ask anyway :]..
    i have {SA}+{UK} passport
    {born in UK..but living in SA}
    moving back to the UK in 2 weeks but just discovered my SA passport is expired.. can i leave SA with my UK passport? considering i was born in England....if not.... could i leave with a temp SA passport??
    Please can someone assist with some advice URGENTLY!
    My husband is an SA citizen, born in SA and living in SA. As his parents are Scottish and live in Scotland, he has a British passport. His mom is very ill and he has to go over there urgently and is travelling tomorrow.
    Problem is, when he checked his docs, SA passport expires in October. British Passport is new and valid. I believe you need at least 6 Months before expiry in order to travel on an SA passport. Does he go out and come back on the British passport and show the expiring SA passport? Could this prove to be a problem?
    Thanks very much!
    Clare
    @Clare - it seems simple enough: he exits and re-enters SA on his SA passport, and enters and leaves UK on his UK passport. This is the process followed by thousands of dual passport holders every month.
    Thanks DavidF. The probelm is that his SA passport expires in October. Will that not be a problem?
    The expiry rule only applies to foreign countries you are entering. SA immigration have no reason to prevent him exiting or entering on a valid SA passport - even if it expires in a month or so.
    That makes sense! Thanks very much for your time. Much relief :-)
    DavidF , your comments above have been most helpful as I am awaiting my temp SA passport to be issued as it took 3 months for the Home Office to confirm in writing that I am a SA Citizen that they have agreed to issue it to me in in the meantime as I am travelling to SA in the next couple of weeks. I wasn't a 100% sure whether it was legal for me to travel on 2 passports, I have a British passport by birth and SA from citizenship but reading your comments you said that loads of people leave and enter Britain on their British and enter and leave SA on their SA one, so pleased to hear that! If anyone requires info from the SA High Commission in London I have been dealing directly Mrs Menezes and found her to be extremely helpful.
    My son was born in Cape Town in 1992. I am British born (with British and SA Passports) and his father is Australian born (with Australian and SA Passports). My son has British and Australia Passports and when we left SA in 1997 to move to Scotland, I got a letter from the Home Office giving "permission to utilise a foreign passport". My son has never had a SA passport. He does have an ID no. though on his birth certificate.

He now wants to visit his dad in Cape Town on an open ticket - he will be travelling on his British passport and I wanted to know if he will need a visa as he might stay more than 90 days. I still have the letter from Home Office, but its from 1997.
    Hi, seems like there is a lot of people not happy with the SA embassy in London. I rung today and was given a very rude answer by a lady, they are not very helpful. My husband and I both have dual passports, have lived in the Uk for the past 12 years, our son was born here and only has a British Passport. Both our SA passports have expired. We own property here and never ever plan on living in SA again. Now we have a trip booked for DEC this year to SA for 2 weeks and what do we do? Can they refuse you entry? What is this talk about a fine? Surely they cannot do that?
    It takes more than 3 months to denounce your SA citizenship. What do we do? Take the chance and just enter on our British?
    HELP please
    Hi Danny am in the same situation still searching for answers as well. If you do get an answer please e-mail me and will do likewise. Ta
    . mabenaw@yahoo.com
    @Danny - why don't you just enter on your British passports as UK citizens? They won't know or care that you have SA passports.
    Danny & gp4sure,
    I am in same situation - travelling to SA soon with a 'dormant' SA citizenship and expired passport. The SA High Commission here in Australia indicates that it can take up to 9 months to denounce your SA citizenship. However, they issue a letter that allows you to enter SA on your foreign (in my case Aussie) passport.
    I can only assume it should work the same from anywhere (whether it does may be another matter ;) I've attached the link so you can see for yourself.
    Hope it helps
    http://www.sahc.org.au/citizenship/Renunciation.htm
    My son was born in South Africa but we live in the UK. He has a UK passport but I never got a SA passport for him. His UK passport says he's born in Cape Town. He is only going to SA for 3 months so won't need a visa. He left UK recently and arrived in SA on his British passport - got through Customs no problem (the Customs Official even mentioned that he could see he was born in SA and was he there to work or holiday - my son stated holiday and Customs Official told him to enjoy his stay). I was so worried after reading stories of not being allowed to travel to SA on a foreign passport if you're South African, but my son had no problems.
    My daughter was born in Cape Town in 1986 to British Citizens - we moved back to UK in 1989. She has never had an S.A. Passport just a British one - we visited S.A. with her in 1998 and there was no problem. Now she is applying for a visa for Australia and they want to know if she has dual citizenship - Does she automatically have this with SA because she was born there?
    From peoples personal experience, how long is a SA passport renewal typically taking at the moment when applied for at the High Commission in London...? I know that on their website they indicate 4 months, although I've heard that it sometimes only takes a few weeks... Thanks...