Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines:
Check out our country and city guides at

Does this passport need a renewal?

edited May 2010 in Visa and Passport
My passport is 5 years old with 5 years validity remaining. The passport is a bit tatty and the picture was taken when I was 16, I'm now 21, have aged and look different (see photos) I have travelled to European Union countries on 6 separate occasions with my passport in this condition encountering only 1 problem on my most recent trip, to Slovakia where they hesitated for some time and then asked for my drivers licence. They let me through but it did worry me a bit. I am going to Croatia (which is not part of the EU) in just over 6 weeks and am now wondering whether to chance it with immigration in Croatia or send off for a new passport and hope I can get it in time. Do you think I need to renew my passport? Anyone had any past experiences like this?



  • edited 2:45AM
    You should still be able to travel with that passport, and I wouldn't recommend sending you passport to renew because there is a risk of delay.

    Here are the rules from government website:

    You must renew your passport if your appearance has changed permanently and significantly so that you can't be identified from the photo in your current passport.

    This will apply to you if, since your passport was issued, you have:

    - undergone significant facial surgery or trauma
    - had numerous/large facial piercings or tattoos

    You will need to supply a new photo and get it certified. You will also be expected to pay for your new passport in the normal way, even if your old one has not expired.

    Children - If the appearance of a child under 16 has changed due simply to the normal ageing process, they do not have to apply for a new passport.

    Minor changes to appearance - If you can still be identified from the photo in your current passport, you don't need to apply for a new one. For example, growing a beard or colouring your hair would usually count as as minor changes.

    If you wish to get a new passport to reflect your changed appearance, you can do so. You will need to apply and pay in the normal way and include a new photo with your application.

    If you are unsure whether this applies to you, call the Passport Adviceline on 0300 222 0000.

Sign In or Register to comment.