Cape Town in winter has the best value cuisine on planet earth. Fact. No where else can you eat a gourmet-quality 3 course meal + wine for under $20.
Here are the latest specials, courtesy of WhaleCottage.com:
* The Cru Cafe in the Cape Quarter: breakfast for 2 for R 85, 2 pasta dishes + 2 glasses of wine for R 119, all days of week, lunch and dinner, until 30 September
* Wang Thai: half-price sushi and cocktails, Mondays - Thursdays 12h00 - 18h00, at V&A Waterfront, Constantia, Somerset West, and Lagoon Beach branches
* Five Flies: Pay for one main course and get the other free, on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, until August.
* Andiamo in the old Cape Quarter: R 49 breakfast special (juice, cooked breakfast cappuccino), until 11h30 daily, until 31 October
* Pure at Hout Bay Manor: 3 course dinner for R 220, and R 280 with a glass of wine added
* Catharinas at Steenberg Hotel in Tokai: 2 course lunch at R 135, 3 course lunch R175/3 course dinner R195, May - September
* Vanilla in the Cape Quarter: 50% off the second persons main course, and 1/2 price sushi 12 - 6 pm
* Tuscany Beach in Camps Bay - second persons main course free (dinner only), and 1/2 price sushi 12 - 6 pm
* Pepenero in Mouille Point : sirloin and chips R 79, seafood platter R 129, prawn platter R 99, oysters R 9 each, half-price sushi
* Sinns Restaurant at Wembley Square: lunch (6 options) at R 50, including a glass of fruit juice. Dinner (5 options) at R 95, including a glass of wine.
* La Colombe : 3-course lunch at R 280 and 5-course dinner at R 380, with a carafe of wine, Mondays - Saturdays, May - 7 August
* Hussar Grill, in Camps Bay and Green Point: 1 kg ribs or kingklip plus chocolate mousse for R 99.
* Pepper Club on the Beach in Camps Bay: Nip and Tuck promotion - Prawn platter R98; Potjies R79,95; Sirloin and Prawn combo R89,50; Seafood platter R139,95; half-price sushi - until end September
* Kuzina in the new Cape Quarter: Meze platter for two R 140, Mondays - Fridays 12h00 - 18h00
* Sauls Sushi@Vegas, 118 Main Road, Sea Point: Eat as much as you like sushi R 120 Mondays and Tuesdays, two for the price of one sushi Fridays and Saturdays
* Cape Town Fish Market: Salmon special, 1 course R 54,95, 2 courses R 69,95, 3 courses R 89,95. V&A Waterfront Cape Town, Parkview Pretoria. Eastgate Johannesburg, Hemingways East London.
* Cassis in Garden Centre: Lunch Box special - coffee/juice/colddrink + savoury tart (quiche/tomato tart/sandwich) + sweet tart = R 40, Mondays to Sundays
* Theos on Beach Road, Mouille Point: oysters R 6 each, 1 kg prawns R 99, line fish R79, for lunch and dinner. 300 gram sirloin steak, spatchcock chicken peri peri and 500 gram spare ribs all R 79 for lunch only.
* Salushi Intaba, 25 Protea Road, Claremont: 50 % off sushi on Mondays, Tuesdays and Sundays, from 12h00 - 17h00 (until end May), and other days of the week. Springroll + noodle dish R 70 on Wednesdays.
* Sevruga in the V&A Waterfront: Sole special, between R89 - R180, half price sushi 12h00 - 18h00 Mondays - Saturdays
* 1800 in the Cape Royale Luxury Hotel, Main Road, Green Point: Sparkling wine + 200 gram Beef Wellington +parking for R 99. Until August.
* Myoga at Vineyard Hotel, Newlands: lunch: 2-courses R 95, 3-courses R 125, or salad or soup with bread at R 55, Mondays - Saturdays
* Myoga at Vineyard Hotel, Newlands: 6 course dinner for R 150, Mondays - Saturdays
* Dros in Tygervalley: 350 gram T-bone steak + glass of wine/draught beer/colddrink for R 49,95, 11h00 - 15h00
* Tank in old Cape Quarter: 3 courses for R 165.
* Cape Colony restaurant in the Mount Nelson Hotel: 5-course meal for R 200. Until 31 July.
* Beluga, The Foundry, Green Point: Prawn & Kingklip R 99, 24 sushi pieces for R 89.
* Butlers Pizza, Newlands, Rondebosch, Wynberg, City Bowl, N1City, Bellville, Tableview: 3 pizzas for the price of 2; 2 medium pizzas + 4 toppings each at R 89.95; 2 large pizzas + 3 toppings each at R 109.95, Sundays - Thursdays.
* The Kove, Victoria Road, Camps Bay: Line fish R 89, Calamari R 69, Lamb R99, Rump 250 gm R 79, Rump 500 gm R 109, 1/2 kg of prawns R 69, Meat Platter R 149.
* St Elmos: 2 large regular pizzas cost R 105. On Tuesdays 2 large pizzas out of a choice of five cost R79,90, at Belgravia, Brackenfell, Claremont, Durbanville, Fishhoek, Gardens, Hout Bay, Kuilsriver, N1 Value, Paarl, Parow, Plumstead, Rondebosch, Somerset West, Stellenbosch, Strand, Tableview, Three Anchor Bay, Tokai, Tygervalley, Woodstock and Worcester.
* Cafe Sofia in Camps Bay, Green Point, etc: All pasta dishes R 49, 250 ml soup + ciabatta toast R 19.
* 221 Waterfront: two drinks for price of one, Mondays - Fridays, 16h30 - 18h30, two dishes on Lite and Sushi sections of menu for the price of one
* Blowfish, Marine Drive, Blouberg: Seafood Platter for two to share R 179, Fish & Chips R 59, Seafood Rice R 55
* The Food Barn, Noordhoek: three course lunch or dinner R 205, May - July
* River Cafe, Constantia: four courses lunch + a carafe of wine R 195, 4 courses dinner + wine R 225. On Mondays to Thursday 1 child eats free, Mondays - Saturdays, May - September
* Diva Pizza, 81 Buitenkant Street: 2 pizzas + 2 toppings each take-away special price R 75
* Pastis in High Constantia Centre, Constantia: free glass of wine with meal.
* Trattoria Luigi in Hout Bay: margherita pizza plus Savanna for R 45 on Wednesdays. Mondays - Fridays pizza and pasta half price, until 31 August
* Constantia Uitsig: 3 courses and wine R 260 for lunch, and R 290 for dinner, until end September*
* Jakes in the Village/on Summerley, in Steenberg and Kenilworth, respectively: 25 % off all dishes, 5 - 7 pm only, Mondays - Saturdays, until end September
* Nobu at One&Only Cape Town: Bento Box from R 195 upwards, until 31 July
* Buitenverwachting in Constantia: 2 courses R 149, 3 courses R 169, 4 courses R 199, until 31 August
* Duchess of Wisbeach, corner Main and Wisbeach Roads, Sea Point - free bottle of wine for a table of four
* Salt, Ambassador Hotel, Bantry Bay : 2 courses R 140, 3 courses R 170, Mondays - Sundays, lunch and dinner
* Le Restau Paradiso, Kloof Street: Maries Menu 3 courses R 110; Capetonian Menu 3 courses R 130; French Classics Menu 3 courses R 150, until December.
* A Tavola in Claremont: 50 % off all pasta dishes on Mondays
* The Lookout Deck, Hout Bay: 1 kg tiger prawns R 125 (lunch and dinner), 6 oysters R 36 (5 - 7 pm only)
* La Mouette, Regent Road, Sea Point: 6 courses for R 150, Monday - Saturday dinner, Monday - Sunday lunch
* Blonde restaurant, Hatfield Street: two
blondes are better than one promotion of 50 % off the bill, until August
* Lagoon Beach, Milnerton - 2 course meal from R 75, all-you-can-eat Sunday buffet R 99
* Jardine, Bree Street: 3-course dinner at R 150, Tuesdays - Saturdays (closed 7 - 16 August).
* The Round House in Camps Bay : 7 course menu for R 245, until 30 September
* Berthas in Simonstown: 1 kg mussels, 1 kg Queen prawns or 1 kg mini seafood platter cost R 99 each
* Ricks Cafe Americain, lunch special for R 39, Mondays - Saturdays, until 31 October
* The Square Restaurant, Vineyard Hotel, Newlands: 4-course dinner costs R 250, with welcome drink and wine paired per course
* Adega Sea Point, corner Main and Glengariff Roads:1 kg Tiger Medium prawns, R99. 300g Mozambican Pepper Fillet R79. Oysters R4,90. 21-piece Sushi Platter R 99. Lunch and dinner, until 31 August.
* Pepperclub Luxury Hotel & Spa: 6 oysters and a glass of bubbly R60, Fridays from 16h00, with jazz
* Aubergine: 2-course lunch R184, 3-course lunch R235, Wednesdays - Fridays
* Balduccis: All pizzas (except Flaming Prawns) R49, 26-piece Platinum Sushi Plate for R99. Monday - Sunday, 12h00 - 18h00, until September.
* Ferrymans, V&A Waterfront: 3-course pairing meal, with wines matching starter and main course, at R200, until September.
* Bukhara : 2 course lunch or dinner plus glass of wine R125, Monday - Saturday, Sunday lunch
* Haiku: 2 course lunch or dinner plus glass of wine R125, Monday - Saturday, Sunday lunch
* Cafe Caprice, Victoria Road, Camps Bay: two burgers for the price of one, Mondays - Thursdays, 12h30 - 22h00
* Sauls Taverna: for every meal ordered from main menu, the second person gets a free main course from chefs special menu
* Overture at Hidden Valley wine estate, Stellenbosch: 4-course Menu de Jour for R200, or R250 with a glass of wine, Tuesday - Friday lunch, May - July
* Reubens in Franschhoek : 3 course meal for R 150, or R 220 for a glass of wine per course. Mondays - Fridays, May until August
* DVine Restaurant at Willowbrook Lodge, Somerset West: 1 course R100, 2 courses R145, 3 courses R170, includes a glass of wine. Dinners only
* 96 Winery Road between Stellenbosch and Somerset West: 3-course meal plus a glass of wine for R 165, Mondays - Saturdays, lunch and dinner
* Terroir at Kleine Zalze, Stellenbosch: two-course meal at R 165, and 3-course meal at R 195, until the end of September (closed for winter break 12/7 - 3/8)
* Waterkloof Restaurant on Waterkloof Wine Estate in Somerset West: amuse bouche + 3-course lunch or dinner at R 190, May - July, Mondays - Fridays
* Allee Bleue, outside Franschhoek: choice of four 250 gram steaks at R 99, including a glass of estate wine, May - September
* Allee Bleue, outside Franschhoek: 3 course meal plus a glass of wine, at R 130.
* Mont Rochelle Hotel in Franschhoek: 2006-priced 3-course dinner, each course accompanied with a glass of wine, as well as water, costs R 2006 for a party of six persons (R 334,33 per head).
* Olivello, Klapmuts, outside Stellenbosch: 2-course meal R 99, 3-course meal R 119.
* Mon Plaisir @ Chamonix in Franschhoek: 2 courses at R 170
* Le Bon Vivant in Franschhoek: 2-course meal for R 115, 3 courses for R 150
* iCi at Le Quartier Francais in Franschhoek: 2 courses cost R 120 and 3 courses R 150, Monday - Friday, until August
* Delheim outside Stellenbosch: Be a Tourist in your own country, S. A. citizens have the Rand cost of their lunch divided by the $-exchange rate on the day (i.e. divided by about R 7,5), 23 - 27 August
* Grand Provence in Franschhoek: Chefs Table for 8 or more persons, 4 courses R 200 per person, June - August, lunch and dinner
* Warwick Winter Bistro, Warwick wine estate, Stellenbosch: Butternut soup R 30, Bobotie R 57, Steak and Mushroom pie R 70, Mushroom Risotto R 75. Mondays - Sundays.
* Jordan Restaurant, Jordan wine estate, Stellenbosch: 3 course Menu de Jour lunch R 180, R220 with 2 wines. 2-course a la carte lunch R 200, 3 courses R225. Wednesday - Saturday lunch, May - August
* Dornier Bodega, Stellenbosch: 2 course lunch R 135, 3 courses R 165, with glass of Donier wine, Mondays - Saturdays, lunch and dinner, until 24 July
* Cuvee, Simonsig wine estate, outside Stellenbosch: 2 course lunch or dinner + glass of Cabernet R 160, 3 courses R 190, May - July
* Clos Malverne wine estate outside Stellenbosch: autumn special - 2 course meal + quarter bottle of wine R 125, 3 course + half bottle of wine R 155, Tuesday - Saturday lunch and Wednesday and Friday dinner
* Bosmans, Grand Roche Hotel, Paarl: 3-course lunch and 2 glassses of wine for R 260, Sundays
* Lanzerac Hotel in Stellenbosch : 2-course lunch R 145, 3 course lunch R 175, includes a glass of red wine. Chefs soup of the day with rolls and house wine R 55. June - September
* Freedom Hill restaurant between Franschhoek and Paarl: 3 course meal and glass of wine R 150, Tuesdays - Sunday lunch, Tuesday - Saturday dinner, until end August
* Dutch East in Franschhoek: 5 course meal R 250, 3 course meat meal R 180, 3 course offal meal R 150, 3 course seafood meal R 150, June and July
* French Connection, Franschhoek: 2 courses R 95 and three courses R 125
* Le Petite Ferme, Franschhoek: 2 courses R 100, 3 courses R 150, plus carafe of wine, every Friday evening until end July
* Fyndraai at Solms-Delta wine estate: 2 course lunch R 135, 3 courses R 155.
* Ryans Kitchen at Rusthof, Franschhoek : 3 course meal and glass of wine at R 195, until end July.
* Boschendal in Franschhoek: Buffet reduced cost R 145 (R 50 extra cost for dessert and cheeses)
* Noble Hill, Klapmuts: Farmers Lunch costs R 62, Mondays - Fridays
* Restaurant Christophe, Stellenbosch: business lunch - 2 courses R130, 3 courses R 150, Tuesday - Friday, served within one hour, all year