Criminal record and visa control

edited August 2010 in - Mexico
Hi everybody,

I am a citizen of the UK. A decade ago, when i was 18, i was convicted of a minor crime and fined 150 pounds. This year I have been in the USA, having successfully received a 10 year unresitricted B1/B2 visa (as an independent researcher.. sounds fancy but i'm just a phd student :-)) The issue I need some clarification on is how, if at all, this would affect entry to Mexico. Firstly, do i need to obtain a Mexican visa given my past? There is no information on the UK Mexican Consulate website. If the Mexican authorities do not do criminal records checks would the fact that i have applied and received a US visa indicate to the Mexican authorities that i have some background that required that i obtain a US visa, rather than use the visa waiver, and therefore reduce my chance of gaining entry?

I realize this is a detailed question and any help would be very much appreciated :-)

Cheers!!

Comments

• edited 4:26PM
    I think you dont need a visa to go to Mexico
    HOW DID YOU GET ON WITH UR TRIP TO MEXICO? I AM IN A SIMILAR SITUATION WITH REGARDS TO A TOURIST CARD, DO I HAVE TO MENTION A POLICE WARNING, WEN GOING TO CANCUN ON HOLIDAY?
    @ifu05208 In the end i didn't go though for reasons unrelated to visas. As far as i can tell, UK citizens don't need a tourist visa to travel to Mexico, even if they've been convicted for a crime. In your situation, having just had a warning i don't think you have anything to worry about. But don't accept my word for it, i really don't know with any certainty. Easiest solution, phone the Mexican Embassy in your country and they'll tell you. You definitely won't be denied entry to mexico for a warning. I wasn't denied entry to the US with a conviction!!

Best of luck
    Thanks for all advice and experiences: Found this on meixco website.. So just going to go for it and hope for the best? As i dont think this would be considered a serious crime ?

Foreigners who wish to enter Mexico in any migratory category (tourists, students, residents, etc.) DO NOT require a POLICE CLEARANCE (Criminal Record) certificate.

Nevertheless, immigration officers may eventually deny entry to foreigners who have committed a serious crime, served a prison sentence or are currently on parole. (Article 106 of the Regulations of the General Population Law)