Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines:
Check out our country and city guides at

Long-term visa for European countries?

edited August 2010 in - General Europe
I hold a US passport, will be 62 years old when I make my trip, have no intention of working, and would like to stay a year shared between Spain, Italy, France, and the Netherlands. This clearly won't work with the standard Schengen visa, which restricts me to staying 90 days out of every 180. I want to visit some non-Schengen countries, but none of them call me for a 90 day period.

Does anyone know how to stay a year? What visa I need since I won't be working or going to school? I'll be retired and just want to enjoy a year abroad before I need a walker:~}


  • edited 4:12AM
    Hello Melodee60,

    From the information I gather from your text you want to make a "road trip" through Europe extending the 90-day Visa-Waiver for the Schengen area.

    The day you arrive in the Schengen area you 90-day Visa-Waiver starts. So from that day you are permitted to stay inside the Schengen area for 90 days. So a road trip taking a year would require a Visa.

    Im not a Visa-expert on this, but there are several Visa's you can apply for each with their own costs. You should see a consulate for more information on Visa's.

    Hope this was helpful to you.

    (Dutch Citizen)
  • edited July 2011
    I think that Melodee is right about the Schengen Visa. At the end I hope you will spend a great time on the this trip.
  • edited 4:12AM
    I am an Indian having working visa for madrid.
    I want to bring my wife and child on dependent visa here.
    This is with regard to documentation for the visa.

    my query :

    Since local authority already issued me a marriage certificate in April 2010; they said, the same cannot be re-issued again.
    But I will get Marriage Certificate duly legalized in India (Haya Apostille) which will be having validity latest by 3 months by the time of visa application. Will it make me eligible to bring my family here?
  • edited 4:12AM
  • edited 4:12AM

    I am wanting to appy for a working visa to somewhere in europe or the US, I am unsure if I am able to because I am 31 years old....can anyone provide me with information or somewhere to find the information please

Sign In or Register to comment.