Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines:
Check out our country and city guides at

Dual Citizen: SA and Britain

edited November 2010 in - Britain and Ireland
I need some assistance with regards to what I should do. I have a SA passport and am in the process of applying for my British Passport, I intend to travel to the UK on holiday in the new year and would like to know if I would still need a visa to enter the Uk because I would need to leave and enter SA on my SA passport


  • edited 1:29PM
    Jena - you do not need a visa if entering the UK on your British passport. You exit and enter SA using your South AFrican passport but use your UK one for entering ans exiting the UK.
  • edited 1:29PM
    Hi DavidF!
    Same thing happens to me. I'm Portuguese and South African. Under SA law it's forbiden to enter SA with a foreign passport. I gather that i can enter and exit EU with my portuguese passport and enter and exit SA with SA passport. Maybe I have no alternative because I can't use my SA passport on leaving EU because I have no stamp that can proove my stay here for a period no longer than 60 days. But, on entering SA, will they not ask to see the stamp (date) on leaving the EU? Is this all legal, 'cause I want to travel without any problems with the authorities?

  • edited 1:29PM
    AntonioG - the SA authorities don't care about how long you spent in the EU. They have never checked in my experience of 20+ dual passport entries. As a SA citizen you are legally entitled to dual citizenship, so there is no problem with having both if you enter and exit on the SA passport.
  • edited 1:29PM
    AS A SOUTH AFRICAN AND ENGAGED TO A LADY THAT HAS A British passport c how long can i work in the u k and if we like it can how long can we stay

Sign In or Register to comment.