Money scams from Nigeria: beware!

Comments

• edited 1:28AM
    I am talking with a girl by the Name of Keyshia Vivien. Thank goodness for this website because she just asked me to send her $100.00 so she can send me a money order she is unable to cash in Nigeria. I called around to my local bank and western union and found out it can definitely be cashed. that brought me to this site. My scammer found me on True.com. I am know going to play head games with her and have some fun with it. figure if I have time I might as well waste their time. My scammer is a antique dealer that is trying to get the $35,000.00 items out of customs and it is going to cost $550.00. I told her I was unable to send the $550.00 but would think about he $100.00. that is not going to happen. She is very sweet and looks good in the pictures she has sent. She did the same as the others and said she was getting off of True.com because she found her true love in me. That was a good one. beware ladies and Gents. If anyone asks you to send money without meeting them don't do it. She even knows the local area here which made her even more conviencing. Good luck out there daters.
    Born in the UK to Nigerian perants and after living most of my live in Europe, I moved to Lagos, Nigeria in 2000 and have been living there since.

I empathize with all of you out there who are lonely and long for that special person in your life but regardless, you still need to apply reason.

Why would you send money to someone you've never met? How many of you give that type of money to people you've known for years, let alone a total stranger in a far away continent?

Love is not for sale. Even if you met someone in your own backyard, the minute the money requests start coming in, you need to run a mile.

This is all so sad and depressing to see so many people express such desperation.

For that temporary hope of happiness, you've allowed yourselves to be used and abused. You would be better off if the person loved you and left you after a few days then to find out that this person never existed.

In the world we live in today, you have 60 year old men send emails to 15 year old girls claiming to be 25 or the men claiming to be 18. All because people adapt faith in the things they cannot see in hope of the things they can get - from the web!!!.

Can you meet a genuine person from these places, particularly Nigeria - yes ofcourse you can, most definately. But just as you wouldn't give your purse to a the nice looking stranger you met in Macy's in NY, so also you shouldn't give your money to a stranger you met on the web - full stop.

I AM NOT PLUGGING - I happen to run a site where we introduce people and one of Nour main functions is to vet the potential clients seriously. we check every bit of info they give us. If we find anyone asking for money - both the requestor and the giver gets deactivated. The point I am trying to make is - don't just log on to any site on the web and think that what you'll get is for real.

I wish you all the best - please be wise.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

best wishes.
    I have a "friend" (I'm a guy, she's a girl) from an online dating site in Australia who needs to get some antiques out of Nigeria as well, so ladies it isn't just men trying this one on (or is it), story sounds a bit like yours Trixter, will be doing much the same and leading them on, want to compare notes? One thing that distiurbs me a little is that I sent photos of me, so coupled with the information on my dating profile, it will be my identity that they will be using next time, and I'm hot (not to mention modest)

Sorry for all of you that have sent money and been hurt, everyone be warned
    have also been chatting with a guy that was on match.com said just went off match and could I email him directly. very romantic,writng me poems, feels that we are meant to be, etc. Right before our supposed first meeting he canceled because he had to go to Lago nigeria to pitch a contract for computer work. Said he's there with his 17 year old daughter. Just tonight he starts to tell me about his travellers checks that he can't cash. Even after talking to him for several weeks, I became suspicious immediately. i am cutting off communication immediately, based on everything I've read here. sounds like the same guy.
    hi i met a guy on myspace that over there told me a lot of what you guys are saying on here.told me that he loves me and all.i dont belive none of this.just to day he asked if i would get a credit card for him to put money on it and then he asked me to send him some money told me he got robed.he calls me every morning to make sure im up then he whats me to call him back on my phone.dont know why that is.then he told me that he cant get on line because the place hes at the inernet is down.so i did something to see if hes lieing i made a name up on yahoo as a woman and he told me the same thing on that name.so after i seen all this on here i ended it with him in a e mail thank god i did not send him nothing.thanks for posting this
    Just today I was chatting with a Micheal Brown...smilewitbrown@yahoo.com is his email address. He is supposedly a jeweler from DateHookUp.com . He is supposedly from Georgia , but originally from Italy.. He owns a jewelry store in Georgia and went to Ghana to buy jewels for his company. I haven't heard from him in a while and today he tells me that the gold manager took all of his money away. He told me it was..and I quote"90,0000,000.00usd"...weird way to write the money...anyway...he said and I quote, "I just wanna you to create a credit card account so that my traveler manager will send money thought it and you will take 10,0000,0000.00usd from it and send the rest okay" end quote.
    So, seemingly a nice man...54, jewelry owner...from Georgia ends up specifically not asking for money...but another way of getting $. I said no and he went off line.
    Word of caution to all : if it seems too good to be true, probably is a scam. Love takes time...when they rush in...using words like love, angel, sweetie, be extremely cautious. Most people take time gettting to know one another...these folks...time is $...and they want it quickly....BEWARE!!
    Worried.
    I met someone on match.com who is from Austin, TX who happens to be a civil engineer working in Nigeria for a few more weeks. He has a son with him named Jerry and his name is Charles Kelvin. His story is that he has money orders he can't cash which I don't believe and that he wants to have me open an account and have the company (credit union) he's working with transfer money to me so I can wire it to him as he can't access his account from there. HA! Of course I have told him it's not happening as I don't give out any information like that to ANYONE. He stops asking for a while and then brings it up again saying he'll get back here faster if I help and that I must not love him if I won't assist him. He doesn't want my money, just my time. He says he doesn't trust his friends when I suggest they help him and that he only trusts me (whom he's never met of course) Wow. Your stories sound so familiar. I just got flowers yesterday. Hmm. There are lots of lovely poems etc. too. The one time I try online dating. That was a mistake for sure. He was pretty upset today as I kept telling him I won't help him even if money is not involved and just my time because I won't give him my bank account info. I happen to have worked in Accounts Re. in a telecom. company and met a few deadbeats so -to- speak and worked with the DA in New York to catch one or two and let him know a while back that I was not one to mess around with on this kind of thing just in case. Good luck to you all too. Very Frustrated
    Frustrated,
    Just be glad that you are smart enough not to fall for their con work. They are nothing but low lifes trying to earn money using what ever means they can.
    The man I met , who prompted me to write the first comment on here, still contacts me...the stories are hilarious..now I just laugh...we went from money orders that couldn't be cashed to the hotel taking his travel documents to him landing in the hospital with Malaria and can't pay his hotel bill. NOw he is is still on his death bed and in and out of the hospital. Anything to get our feelings of empathy and sympathy going to get our credit card #'s..account #'s...oh, he wanted me to open a Bank Of America acccount too..no way!!! As you spend more time on internet dating , you will start to see a pattern of these creeps...there are nice men out there....just don';t be too eager.
    Take care and be wise.
    Worried.
    I met someone on singles363 he was also on match.com. his name is Carl Nelson and supposedly has a son Simon 14 years of age, his wife was killed on her way back from the bank. Last Tuesday he said he was going to Nigeria, as his visa had come through, but he has said nothing of this before, in the weeks we had chatted. He supposedly left last Thursday. On Friday he e mailed me asking to send him £1500 to hire equipment for the job he was doing, as the equipment he had shipped had been lost, funny all this in 24 hours. He gave me the name of his hotel, room number, and hotel address but there is no hotel of that name in Lagos, or a Carpark Road. I them found this site and realise that I have nearly fallen prey to a scam. He asked me to send him the £1500 made out to the receiver Wale Thompson, 103 Carpark Road, Surulere. Lagos, Nigeria 23401. I have recently become a widow, and was somewhat taken in by the love letters etc., and at one point nearly believed him. He also uses Christianity in his letters. This is not the first of these scams I have come across but with the other two it did not get as far as them asking for money, but they were two difference men, Marvin Jones Williams, and Merve Williams, they both used the same story, that their wives had died in child birth, they both claimed to hold duel americal and british passports, and their families were dead and they had been brough up by grandparents. So beware, I would like to expose these people on the front page of a national newspaper, they are despicable. I hope that like me you one day find someone to trust.
    Hi Worried, Thanks for the comments and to all of you others out there be careful. This guy Charles Kelvin from Austin has tried to get me to open an account at Chase bank so he can have his vendor send me money that I can wire to him. Not happening and I have told him many times, but he is persistent for sure and so apologetic every time he thinks he upsets me. Wow, it is funny to read his responses after while. He was really upset yesterday because I told him "no" AGAIN. So, today he's all "I'm sorry....". Please, he has no clue. He's about to get the "go talk to the embassy or consulate" speech from me which will be the end of our conversations I am sure.
    They just don't get it. He claims to be a civil engineer. He claims he'll be back in TX in May, but it could take longer since I don't want to "assist " him which also means I don't care for him....Oyy! I hope you all are ok and please be mindful of who you speak with. I sure have learned my lesson. It makes me angry though because I finally decided to try this online stuff and it backfired unfortunately. Hopefully there is a truly honest person out there somewhere. Take care everyone. Frustrated
    He said his name was... kELVIN jAMES kOLSTAD from Duluth Minnesota.He said in Nigeria buying Krugerrand.. cant cash his travellers cheques... needs money to pay new shipping regs to ship them back to the States. etc etc. Met him on OK Cupid known as cute_james... Be warned a wonderful smooth scammer..
    Today I did some detective work of my own and called the flower shop where the lovely flowers came from on Friday that "Charles Kelvin" sent. Mind you he's in Nigeria, but the person sending them had the name of Branden and they came from Indiana. So that's a new twist in this mess. "Charles" has no clue that I know this information and that I searched to see if he even exists which of course he doesn't. He has tried to contact me today, but I didn't answer him so we'll see what happens. How have any of you ended these "relationships"? Do you just stop all communication without warning or what? I fortunately have not given any money or banking information to this guy so am glad of that. The most I am out currently is phone bill money. Take care. Frustrated
    hi all,the man i was talking to asked me for money now.i told him i did not have it.said he only had 25.00 on him.so i said so what do you want me to do.he said send him money.i said ya right never.i told him i found his name on a site.he said it was not him hes for real.i did not here from him to day at all.no phone calls emails nothing.i guss he give up.just to let everyone know his name is james willimas and his email is lovejames153@yahoo.com he was on my space but hes gone now.i told myspace about him.and thay took him off.take care all
    Dear Customer,

What's Western Union Bug? And How does It Work?
    WU Bug is a software that cracks Western Union databases and gives the DATA of WU information for payments made to any country in the world.

The new feature in WU Bug now is that you are able to change the receiver's name to any name you choose in same country while you are able to make new orders.

The cost of the Western Union Bug is $500 and with it you can be able to make $50,000 weekly if you are smart.

Contact me for payment methods on:-
    Yahoo chat ID:- westernunion_login
    Email:- westernunion_login@yahoo.com
    Phone:- +234-807-425-4709

You won't regret it getting one for yourself
    Thanks.
    OMG... i cann't believe what i am reading ,i met him on match.com he said he loves me,i loved him also because he sent me very lovely e-mails ,he is now in Lagos since 4 weeks ,he asked me to send him money i did send him already
    $ 6500,every time for diferent reason,and i didn't see him yet face to face ,few day ago asked me again to send him money again,now i am reading all these storys on this side,i dont know is my boyfriend is an scammer or real, how can i know that for sure please help me.
    Hi there - wish I saw this site first I've been had, so I'm a MUG, by the same guy as someone above today 27/04/2009
    - quote above his name is Eric Capello supposed to be based in Isle of Man I have 2 mobile numbers for him one for when he was in Isle of Man and one when he went abroad to work.

"Same... just met a guy called Eric on Match.com, a widow, two dogs and starting a business. Cancelled his subscription pretty soon after we'd met, plenty of romantic poems etc etc, but fortunately for me I try not to let myself fall for guys I've never even met. I made the mistake of giving him my work address tho and now feel worried about that. He asked me if he could send travellers cheques to me to cash and then send the cash back to him... I'm sure just the beginnings of the scam.
    I'm just posting this so it can help warn other women to realise when they are being scammed. It all sounded too good to be true and it was...always trust your intuitions...just the smallest thing is usually right! "

He got me I'm never usually get caught out but got caught unawares, all the above is exactly what I've just had - again I've given him my works address to post something - how do we stop this happening????
    In reply to the above emails and the last one, I too have had emails from the Mr Eric Capell, same stories and poems. I also said I would try to help and went on google and couldnt believe it when I hit this. I have actually copied the messages from this to him to let him know that I am on to him, sorry for the people still sticking up for him! Thank god I did not send any money and did not give my home address which he asked for only today. I am actually thinking of contacting the Police regarding this because I live in the Isle of Man, have all the emails he has sent plus the one asking for money. How can someone be so nasty and horrible.
    maybe we all should send to police but what is his real name and where is he based. The trouble with the internet. Glad you didn't send money. How many of the other entries on these pages are him or her come to that do we really know???
    Dear Express! DO NOT SEND ANYMORE MONEY!!!! Do not fall for anyone you've never even met! I am the person who posted the original comment re: Eric Capello. These people are rife and desperate for money, they are very clever. I became suspicious from day 1, as his stories didn't quite come together. You've got to trust your intuition. I would stop any communication with him immediately.

After worrying about giving my work address, nothing ever came of it, so got away unscathed! Maybe we should report this guy to Match.com and the police, they may have an e-mail address they can trace him through? But I don't hold out much hope I'm afraid! Also in my case in was based in East Sussex, so he must have been set up on there twice. I also think its a shame he knows about this site now, as it will help him to know how we suspected him and help him become more real to people in the future!
    Dear all

Just to let you know that even though Mr Capello has cancelled his subscription with match.com I have still informed them. I have also spoken to the police regarding this and although there is nothing they can do, (Nigeria being one of the largest scam places in the world) he did suggest because I feel so strongly about this that I contact my local papers and see if they would run a story. As the Isle of Man is such a small place it wouldnt take long for people to be made aware of this. I am just so pleased I only spent about 50p on sending a txt to a non existent Capello!!!!
    I have informed Match.com also. It seems he may be setting himself up in different areas of the country, who knows where he will strike next under that name. At least they can hopefully vet him if he tries again.
    Hello every body over there,the man i met on match.com his name is not Eric Capello,i cann't say much becaus i still have contact with him,maybe he is the same pearson with a defferent name, that why i want to ask you guys Guest 1,Mug3,and DC and every body there if you have informations to write me on my e-mail adress(express_nl@hotmail.com), we can compare the information if it is from the same pearson.please help me i want my money back and i want him to get arrested that he cann't hurt anybody els any more, i wait for your respons.thanks all of you.
    Maybe not everybody knows you can track where an email is coming from at
    http://www.ip-adress.com/trace_email/ .
    I had several times girls (I am a man) who asked for money. I did never send. But if it looked very well I offered to come and hand it personal. Mostly my beauty dissappeared. 4 times I booked a holliday for a week. 3 times I had a nice holliday, but no girlfriend. The last time I met somebody in Ghana. Completely different from what i expected. She even did not know about her advertising. Her brother was a scammer and i was in contact with him. He also sent his sister to my hotel, to cash. But.......we are together now already for 4 years. She did not look like the stars on the pictures, but it is a lovely and caring girl. Oh yeah, she cannot read, and cannot write.
    Anentome
    I also was taken for a ride with Paul Edward, who also said he was working in the country on contracted,and he lived in the UK, he also chatted on line for a month, making all kinds of promises, and till he got money out of me, and then heared nothing from him, I hope who ever reads this and knows him, he lied, dishonest, a cheat, and I hope they arrest him at the airport and put him in jail, and I can get my money back. He says all the things like all the comments above,
    be careful
    I also met him on match .com
    I hope he goes to hell.
    When someone you meet online asks for money...DON"T send anything. Don't give out your address, home phone # or anything. These people are scammers. ANy real person you meet won't ask for money...they will just want to get to know you. Key words to look for....Sweetie, Love, Honey, etc..if you are chatting with someone and they use these words...use caution. Tell them NO if they ask for anything. They don't care about you...they want your money...
    I still hear from Micheal Brown...smilewithbrown..and he has told me that he got my money...I sent him nothing...must be a cc'd email....to others..don't fall for it.
    I know it's hard not to fall for a man/ woman who says kind things to you, but really if they just met you in person....what would be your gut level feeling if they were all sappy during coffee/ dinner..and hardly knew you..you' d most likely say...ew...get away from me...love takes time...no quick fix there..although I know we'd like to have someone really feel that way about us...i't's NOT REAL....don't fall for it.
    Unfortunately, I don't know if you can ever get your money back...check with the police...
    Best advice I can give...delete them immediately from your email..so no more contacts can be made...
    Good luck and be strong and SMART!!!!!!!!
    Worried.
    I'm ashamed...I can't believe I fell in love with someone who may be potentially be a scammer. How can I have let this happen? Just when I felt I was so strong, I finally let someone into my life and they crushed my heart again. After two marriages, I finally broke down and tried Match.com and I thought I found my soul mate.

My man is going by Melvin Cole. I hope and pray that he is not a true scammer but after reading these comments ...I truely fear he is. Everything is very similar to the other stories. We met on match.com and have been talking for two months now. He claims to have a son and has been married once. He says his wife died in a car accident when his son was eleven. Mel says he is in Republic of Benin for a work project with cocoa. He should be finishing the project soon and be coming back to the states to meet me and live happliy ever after. He says his current residence is SC. He immediately removed his profile after we met within a couple of days.

This week he has asked me for $3000.00 because his son was hit by a car when he was playing football. He needs a operation right away and If I don't help him he will never be able to walk again. He claims that he has traveler checks and money orders but can't cash them because of the poor economy over there right now. I'm so glad I didn't send money because I was skeptical. Plus, I didn't have the extra funds anyway. Now he says he got the money from a hotel manager for the operation but needs to pay him back before they leave the hotel. Now he is asking if I could help him pay back the hotel as I get the extra money by my biweekly paychecks. ???? This doesn't sound right??? does it???? I think I have been scammed like the rest of you....Yikes! I'm ashamed of myself and how did I let this happen?
    Don't listen re the Hotel Manager it was the Hotel Manager he asked me to make the cash out to and it was a girl's name. So must be in partnership. Check out the message that gives a site to check where an e-mail comes from. My first came from London and thereafter they all came from Nigeria.

I paid to learn my lesson but learnt I have.
    hey everyone i met a woman two weeks ago on lavalife.com we started talking and she says that she loves me. she says she is from the uk and that she is on her way back ther should i beleave her i have sent her money already to help her to get back to the uk i do have feelings for her very strong ones am i wrong in this or am i being fooled i need to know
    Worried One,
    First of all don't send any more money. You only have known her for 2 weeks? Does she not know anyone else? Only you to turn to?? What adult do you know, when you first meet them asks you for money? No one I know. Also, the way I look at it is, if they need money this early on in the relationship that's a sign of what's to come....asking for more money.
    Just don't send any more money....or you will not get it back. It sounds like a scam to me.
    Good luck.
    Worried.
    I'm FULLY HEART BROKEN...I can't believe I fell TOTALLY in love with someone who may potentially be a scammer. How can I have let this happen? Just when I felt I was so strong, I finally let someone into my life and they crushed my heart again. After one marriage, I finally broke down and tried Meetic.com and I thought I found my soul mate in the name of WILLIAMS GELATI from Birmingham, England with the nickname DAMSELARA

My man as i said is going by WILLIAMS GELATI. I hope and pray that he is not a true scammer but after reading these comments ...I truly fear he is. Everything is very similar to the other stories. We met on meetic.com and have been talking for two months now. He claims to work on a month contract in the refurbishment of a farm plant in Lagos. He should be finishing the project soon and be coming back to Spain to meet me and live happily ever after. He says his current residence is in Birmingham. He immediately removed his profile after we met within a couple of days.

This week he has asked me for $1050.00 because he had a car accident on the way to the airport last 30th April the night he was flying back home toSpain to reunite with me. I already helped him before in finishing the project with $2600. He needs now medicines and a operation right away and If I don't help him he will die. He claims that he has not money left as being robbed while waiting for rescue team and police. Plus, I didn't hve the extra funds anyway. He says he got no money and need to pay back the hospital treatment before he leaves the hospital. Now he is asking if I could help him pay for all this and for the return ticket???? This doesn't sound right??? does it???? I think I have been scammed like the rest of you....Yes! I'm very heart broken and dont know how did I let this happen to me?
    His email address is: efontete@live.com and eforntete@livecom
    His telephone number:+2348034716426
    The doctor telephone number:+2348029667665
    Anyone of you got caught with similar details?
    l hope we can find them and get what they merely deserve because im totally broken.
This discussion has been closed.