Money scams from Nigeria: beware!

Comments

• edited 12:38AM
    Bitter,
    Thank goodnees you found this site and didn't send him any money. That is a good thing. Go easy on your self..we have all been in your shoes, which is why I wrote the original question about cashing checks in Nigeria.
    They want one thing: our money and then you never see them. Be kind to yourself and be thankful you found this site before you sent him anything. Your heart will heal...but your bank account will not...
    It's all a learning experience in the area of online dating. Just be careful..remember: if he seems too good to be true, he probably is.
    Worried.
    LADIES BEWARE!!!! PLEASE DON"T FALL FOR RAYMOND BAKKER AND HIS SCAMS. HE GOES BY OTHER NAMES TOO. dON'T FALL FOR HIS PICTURE OF HIM ON A BOAT IN THE NETHERLANDS. iTS NOT HIM>>
    Add jimcarter1x@ymail.com to the list. He was on match.com, took his profile down...we talked for a month, came on real strong, wrote the poetry that got me suspicious because the gender tense was wrong(lol), wife died in car crash 2 years ago. he is in nigeria working, little girl came down with milaria, only has $350 has to pay doctor at hospital for her care since his insurnce is from america needs cash up front. he didn't come out and ask me for money, but i knew that was what he wanted. i suggested he call the us consulate and he said its not the united states things are different there....red flag #2,,,asked he if wanted money and said he could ask me but what ever i could spare....red flag#3,,, gave me address on doctor to send money via "Moneygram"......decided to do some checking came across this site, thanks guys. Would love to figure out how to trace email addy back...or ip address.....

cant wait to hear back from him, time to have some fun with this ahole....
    Bitter,

I have been responding with "McShawn Foster" since late May. I always felt something was off with him, just seemed to good to be true. He never asked me for $ out right, he just wanted to transfer $ from his BOA account to mine. Thankfully, no $ was exchanged. Like you, I am not stupid or naive. Thanks for showing us all who he truly is. Better luck to us all.
    Thanks to all those who responded to my posts. I've of course blocked him (McShawn Foster) and deleted him from my personal contacts list. I'm not crying over this thankfully cause I've always had my suspicions but also wanted things to go well for a change. Better luck next time huh?
    I can't believe that I am stupid enough to fall for the same lines as mentioned by other women. I too fell for the romance ...lies. Met him on match.com however he is still listed on there. Goes by jwmixon or james william says he is originally from Indiana is an engineer in telecommunications. He is currently in Lagos,nigeria recently was involved in a car accident and is in the hospital with broken leg and other injuries. He is widowed and has 2 children but only talks of his daughter Jennifer. He has a very thick spanish accent that does not go with the pictures. Although when confronted with this says he travels and spanish is his 2nd language. Unfortunatly I fell for sending him money for daughter, cash because he can't cash in travelers cheques etc.... Told him that the embassy can help and he is looking into this. A lot of the things he says are right on the money but I'm sure he smart enough to do his homework. Tells me he is shy and doesn't want to ask me for money but when confronted that he is a scam artist was very hurt and said that he would never do this to the woman he loves so much. I too have called him but he has also called me and gave me his other email address. I can check to se if he reads the emails from match and he does. Do you think he is scamming me or what? I have told him that I will not be sending him anymore money and yet he still calls and txt or emails me. I am hoping tht this is not a scam but all the signs seem to be there, Has anyone else talked with him? this started about 4-5 weeks ago.
    Hi I am so glad I decided to become a detective...?!! I too met a guy 2 weeks ago on Match.com. He went by the name Matthew Gearhart...ring any bells? He was 39 and a contract engineer. His story was that he was married for 2 yrs and his wife died leaving behind a daughter sharon who will be 8 in August? He was baby this and sweetie pie that all the time and I told him to stop. He cancelled his membership with Match.com the minute I responded. His picture was by a sail both..But he could never send me one when I asked.. He said his daughter lived with his mother in Albany when he was away on business. He had a place in the UK also.. I was sick of his persistence and his to die for romantic poems which drove me crazy. Then he im's and its all broken english. I asked him for his number and called him and I told him he sounded like someone out of the African jungle( pls no offense to anyone) and not an american; born in Missouri? He got mad at his... Then I told him I lost my job which I did and he couldn't seem to care less....or anything about my family so I was really starting to spot a dirty rat. Next his 40th b'day came around yesterday..lol. More lies..But today, July 23 rd beat all as he asked me for money and I let him have it in no uncertain terms calling him a no good low down dirty rotten piece of sh** scammer...lol. Made me feel so much better..He was sooo offended and said I was so rude and would prove his innocence. I told him that my sis-in-law brother worked for the FBI out of France and that he was messing with the wrong lady.... Within a flash...he was gone. And boy am I relieved? I am disgusted that Match.com do not do a better background check on these losers...But what goes around does come around...so he will burn in hell...
    It was so great to see that I was not thee only fool and I am dying to know if anyone else connected with MATT? Take good care everyone... Oh and he used to sign off with Muah?
    Irish
    hello friends you all ..i faced the same cheating scam that one lady from lagos, nigeria, asked me to send money for visa ,then i sent her,she did not come ,showed she met an accident,then asked me to believe her,& to send money again.i did not send, but i see,she now told she has no money to sit in cyber cafe to chat, or to give mobile calls.Now she stopped all contacts.
    what a cheat ..!!
    Have had two similar experiences, and unfortunately have lost thousands to the one scammer. One man goes by Steve Morgan, 39 according to myspace, but he says he's 35 and a friend set up the account. Says he is an engineer doing bridge construction in Nigeria but is a dual U.S. and Swedish citizen. Mother is Swedish and Nigerian, but mom is in hospital with cancer. He is trying to get her to states. I sent lots of money, low and behold, he ends up in a car crash on the way to the airport and mom was killed. Doctors contacted me, I didn't respond, but now Steve is back and saying he loves me and is in bad health, needs more money for mom's funeral. Not going to fall for it this time. Also Samuel Louis-48 years old, living in New York, professional soccer scout-widowed six years (wife died in car crash on her birthday in new car he bought her), supposedly was in Nigeria scouting for a UK soccer team and needed money to pay for soccer players to leave country-I lost $700 there. So then he is coming home, can you believe it? He was injured in a car accident on the way to the airport! I find it hard to believe there are that many bad drivers in NIgeria, but ok...So then he finally Im's me and emails me about a week later and is typing just as fast as he can, although he supposedly has a broken arm and shoulder....then when I didn't respond he sent messages that i abandoned him, etc...I cannot believe these guys, make me sick to my stomach and hope they know what comes around, goes around...
    Wow,

I am reading all these emails and I am very confused. I met a gentleman online back October 1, 2008. He introduced himself as Captain Mike Wash. He is originally from Belgium brought to the US at an early age then after his parents passed he was brought back to Belgium to live with his grandmother. This part is believable.

He chose to return to the US get his education and join the US army at a tender age. Along the way he married and stayrf that way for 15 years or so until his wife died in childbirth 6 years ago. His son was entrusted with a nanny. Now this is where things get muddy.

He just retired from the Military now a colonel and was heading back to the US last Wednesday to be with me. He had a chartered flight from Afghanistan that would have a stopover in London. I had a time and an airport to go to. Well well well, at the airport, I received an email telling me his young son had a cardiac thrombosis while in England and was being moved to London for emergency treatment.

We have been very close up until this event and I am lost. I left the airport as I came , by myself. He has been emailing ever since except within the last day or so telling me the latest of his son. He had not planned this kind of event and needs help to pay for the doctor and hospital. I suggested if I could help to send the money directly to the hospital and the doctor by western union.

He was not pleased with idea because his sons life is at stake and he is a high ranking military official and this just happened to happen as he was returning form the last time from Afghanistan as a retiree. He has a business that he began prior to his last tour to the war. He has agents that he trusts to handle his money. My thought is if it is such an emergency why use agents? Why does he have a problem with me having people send funds directly to the hospital or the doctor?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Dear sanjosemom,
    What ever you do..DON"T SEND MONEY>.....you will never see it again...
    If he is in the military and such a high official..why isn't he asking the military to help him?
    Stay strong...don't send any money...if you have never met him in person..chances are pretty good, he's a scammer like all the others.
    Worried.
    The DOP has contributed 12,000 pounds to his sons bill. I still have my doubts. Thank you for your quick response.
    Does anyone chat with a derick_tomy? he wrote me on 7/7/09 and told me his is looking for someone to help him get boxes out from a Security Dept in Africa. He wanted me to contact the Security Company on his behalf and instruct them that I want my husband's deposited boxes in their custody sent to me. The funds inside he told me were worth 2.5 million USD.
    I did not do anything..except ignore this request.

I also have heard from smilewitbrown: he said on 5/2/09: i received the money and i hope you are going to send the rest so that i will add it and do what i wanna do my love.
    No money was EVER sent to him from me...

Also, has anyone ever heard of Rudick Morgan or Paul Morgan?? Just wondering..their stories are weird, too..
    Keep strong.
    Worried.
    OMG........sooo many of these stories sound just like what happened to me. I met a man on true.com and he goes by the name of Paul. He is from Miami but working in the UK right now with urban development. His wife died 6 years ago of cancer. He came on very strong and wrote poems, etc. After about two months he told me he came down with malaria and didn't have the money to buy the medicines until he came back to the states in a couple of weeks when he retires. He asked me for $500. to buy the medicines. He got very upset when I told him no that I couldn't. I went with my gut instinct.
    OMG,,,I am so freaked out by this site. I to have been talking to a man that says he was from London, moved to Hawaii and is now working in Nigeria, states that he needs money to get his luggage out of the airport, says they need a tip...He spent all his cash and his traveler checks are in his luggages. He has two kids and his name is James Nothingham, I met him on tagg,,can anyone tell me about him,,please talk to me,,thank you,,,Stupid me.
    Girl, the loser is a scam artist. Women have intuition when things are suspicious and yet it's in our human nature to become sympathetic when a man tells a sad story, especially one that involves a loved one dying or him having kids. No real man would EVER ask a woman that he "loved" for money. What I've noticed with these creeps is a pattern: they almost always ask for $500 in one go, nothing less than that amount. Ladies, we've got to be smart and not fall prey to these insensitive jerks who have nothing better to do.
    WOW,all the stories I read are almost the same.Me I meet this guy from my yearbook,he is working in UK but assigned in Nigeria in a construction company.And telling me that the credit card are not working in that place.Then sending e mails and sweet words.Begging in bended knees to become my husband.Huh! what a fool am I...He is asking for a money to pay his hotel bills because he will pay me when he will come to my place.and then for his food and booking charges for his ticket but nobody's came.The doctor send me email and called me the next day telling that my "fiancee"got an accident and in a coma .the hospital e mail add is savannahospital@earthling.net.Dr.Matthew said I have to send 500$ to buy blood to Mr.Dannie.I did not send .See, its the same story,I still found this site until he send me travellers cheque so that I can encash and use the money.All are lies.....now the travellers cheque also a scam.....thats why I found this site to search any money scam.Now we must be careful with online chatting even if they use the word of God.
    Wow, I have been speeking with a guy that I met on yahoo.com. He says his mother is in the hospital and that He is from seattle here and he didnt bring enought money to cover her operation. He has sent me many and many of sweet emails telling me that he loves me and he cant wait to come back to seattle to be with me. His name is John Steve Cole says he lives in Bellevue Washington. I dont know what to believe. He asked me for 450.00. I told him last night that I wont send him money and of course he wrote back to me and gave me this long letter saying how sad he is because of this. That he wont ever be able to trust me again. Well I just wrote him and said that your nothing but a scammer and why should I trust you. So watch out for this guy. His phone number is +234-808-257-3136. Be very careful everyone. Im very heart broken over this.
    Well, My nigeria guy is supposely a contractor from the UK, in nigeria building a home for a client. When I told him I would not help him, I got the same sad story. He was so hurt and he loved me so much. Once I finally got the point across that I wasnt sending money, he hasnt talked to me. I am sure he is seeking out other woman to scam. Beware, his name was James Nothingham and his number is234-802-9085648. I just hope I can prevent other women from being hurt by this man's loving words...
    me too man in Lagos Nigeria but not a son his daughter widowed from Houston texas, can,t pay his hotel so i send him 1,200 dollers. then i hear nothing for a week.then i hear from him again because he has no money and he needs 100dollers so he can keep his internet connection because he has to talk to me,,,,RIGHT,,,,,then i get an email sorry baby but the internet connection is bad here thats why i haven,t been online. today he,s online why he needs money and if i love him i would help him he needs to get back home...
    so i tell him ok i will help i ,ll book your tickets online just give me your details.then i get all this S]]] coming through on my messenger saying you don,t you don,t bah bah bah IN Nigeria he can only get the tickets himself i can,t book them online so its better for me to send the money to him and he can,t believe im that stupid i don,t understand that .so i signed out he will not get a penny more of me he was great when i meet him on mingle2 dating site i learnt the hard way. people it will not happen to me again he told me when we first started talking he had to fly to Nigeria on business i believed him i will never believe another one so if any of you scammers are coming on this site to see what were all saying your time has come your bad karma is on its way back to you.... and i will pray for that every day
    I just wish there was some way to expose these guys before thay hurt another innocent woman with their fake pictures, names and lies. Is there any other site to discuss this on? It makes me sick, knowing that this man is scamming another woman as I sit here.
    Always ask for them to go on web cam, if they say they do not have one with them or it won't work where he is or it is broken then never trust them. Actually never trust anyone if they won't go on web cam. All say they work in Africa or Europe. Usually they have one child sometimes two but the mother is just about always dead. They are usually Engineers of some kind or in contruction. AND doesnt matter what anyone says male or female, never send money to someone you cant see.
    sthadklady, you sound like youe have been down this road before,,,I never have,,he hurt me abunch,,I think we should find a way to stop this stuff. I dont want this man to hurt another woman,, Someone out there should want to help me stop these smooth talkinin guys,,,I got flowers and love letters, and all he wanted was money..How can we protect other women???
    No one should get down on themselves by being fooled by these scam artists. They can be slick. I'm a guy who was contacted Friday night by a girl in Mississippi (live in Florida). Very attractive, nice profile on Match.com, etc. So I "winked" back. She contacted me. Said she was in Nigeria buying antiques (red flag). She lived in Mississippi but had no relatives and her long term boyfriend was in a car accident 18 months ago. She was raised in Australia. I asked how she made it to MS, no direct answer (red flag). I asked about the antique business and the if there was a market for such things in MS, no direct answer (red flag). I asked again about her background and upbringing, again no answer, (red flag). You all get the drift of what I'm saying. The common theme that I've read on a few posts is the fact she wouldn't e-mail, only IM. She would have these long, flowing, verses of love and her likes and dislikes and so forth, and then the next paragraph would morph in to this hodge-podge spelling and grammatical errors. Well, momma didn't raise no fool. So I did some checking, I even spent some money on an internet investigative site. Low and be hold I found a person with the same name, in the same town in Mississippi as my Nigerian antiques dealer. But she wasn't 32, no kids, etc. So everyone please beware of "Janet Davis" of Ellisville, MS. Her e-mail is: lookinglady4043@yahoo.com. I also have reported her to Match.com. OH! That was the other thing I read, she took her posting down right after I made contact with her, "so she wouldn't be contacted by anyone else, since she found me". (HUGE RED FLAG!) She wanted me to to do the same. Yeah, right.
    PLEASE PEOPLE!!! DON"T BE SO DESPERATE. THEY ARE SCAMMERS AND DON'T CARE ONE BIT ABOUT YOU. iF YOU ARE DUMB ENOUGH TO FALL FOR IT THEN YOU DESERVE TO BE SCAMMED. NEVER SEND MONEY TO ANYONE YOU HAVE NEVER MET. HELLO!!!! MATCH.COM DOESN"T CARE . GET OFF MATCH. IT"S A CRAPPY SITE ANYWAY.ALL THESE GUYS ARE PROBABLY THE SAME PERSON GOING BY DIFFERENT NAMES.THEY SIT AT INTERNET CAFE'S AND SCAM FOR A LIVING. YOU KNOW IT HAS TO BE HARD TO KEEP UP WITH ALL THE ALIAS'S THEY HAVE. HAVE MORE SELF ESTEEM THAN THAT PEOPLE!!!!WE ALL WORK FOR OUR MONEY. THEY ARE SICK AND DON"T WANT TO WORK.
    A stroke of faith took me to this site, shortly after communicating with a man going by the name of frankbill005, claims to be born in sweden and widowed about 3 years, has a son Jerry going to university learning Computer engineering. Frank has a cute pic on Yahoo personal and I winked and got a lenght reply within days, Frank was phoning me, the thing that I noticed is that the phone calls and IM messages came at odd hours (from 1 am to 4 am) altho Frank claimed he lived in Victoria Bc Can. All the phone calls came from a blocked ID. He told me he was a civil Engineer and was meeting a client for a job, and that would take him out of the country, by this time he made promesses of marriage and has asked me to look for a home for us in the $450 000 range
    A few days prior I felt that Frank was asking a lot of personal questions which prompted me to ask him if he was ":running a check on me"... he said no i love you
    I was leaving for the long week end and he came on line told me he was leaving the country he got the job I asked where and he said Nigeria, so like a good "little wife to be I went to check on the climate on google .....and my eyes caught the "Scams in Nigeria" I started to read and my jaw dropped. I cut and pasted some of the stories and put in the IM and I told Frank that he had better send me some money BEFORE he left as I couldn t bail him out....
    and I might just need it...he said What do you know about Nigeria?
    How did you find out about all this?
    I told him Google knew "everything".....I wanted him to be real. I also Googled some of the saying he sent and they were not his own poetry.
    Needless to say I have NOT heard from Frank since July 31st 09 we are the 3rd of Aug
    I saw him sign in on his IM (same handle) and spoke to him both time he signed right off.
    I even sent him a me distress message (fake) telling him he needed to help me right away cause i couldn t stay at the house anymore cause I gave him the address and phone number.
    I am so naive I sent him pictures not just of me but my poor innocent grand kids too..
    I reported this to the authority in Canada I found a site here is the link
    http://canadaonline.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=canadaonline&cdn=newsissues&tm=21&gps=26_60_780_447&f=00&su=p649.3.336.ip_&tt=2&bt=0&bts=0&zu=https%3A//www.recol.ca/intro.aspx%3Flang%3Den

I tried to use the the e mail tracker but I don t know how
    When he phoned he had an accent his called were all very brief, and they was a sort of chime just before it cut off, making me think that he was using a pre paid card.
    I contacted yahoo personal but his profile is still posted
    he has a charming profile
    anyway I want to thank you, seeing this saved me as I would have used my credit cards to bail him out
    I am learning and I hope that posting this will stop someone else being scammed
    Hi, seems a all to familiar story. Has anybody corresponded with Angela Jane (30) from Hampshire, United Kingdom on ww.40plusdatinggroup.co.uk? Usually thing as from previous threads. Two weeks of romanance online and then the sting, need money for a plane ticket to England. Cost $1850 but I found only for $876 yet if you question it they get angry. Emotional blackmail and it affects the lifes of genuine people who want to find true love.
    I know what you mean Johnson, all we all want is to meet someone and love and be loved, I still have not got any news of Frank, so I take it that he decided I smelled a rat and he disappear, his profile is still in yahoo personal.
    Someone in here said ask to see the people on a video cam, well I use to have a video cam and I could never get a good picture on it, so I do not have one and if someone asked me I could not get on camera.........yet Iam real
    I ll keep checking on this site in case someone communicate with frankbill005
    Hey Samesong different words
    Why do you say they wouldn t e mail and that was a red flag?
    Frank e mailed all the time
    can you tell me what you mean?
    Hi 2naive- Same with me, I had emails and sms from Angela BUT interestingly enough she had no mobile and no camera so I could not speak to this person or see her. A bit of reverse psychology now, if she contacts me again, I'll play along with it and she when she realises I know its a fake.
This discussion has been closed.