Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines:
Check out our country and city guides at

Can South Africans get a visa to work in Taiwan teaching English?

edited February 2011 in Visa and Passport
Young S.A. couple in Thailand wish to proceed to Taiwan to teach English (both qualified). They have an offer of accommodation in a private home for 1 year. What type of visa do they need to apply for and how difficult is it to get.
Can they apply from Bangkok?


  • edited 1:16AM
    Generally English teachers arrive on a tourist (visitor) visa and then convert it to a resident (for working) visa after arrival. While converting your visa you shouldn't, legally speaking, work - but many employers will expect you to do this, and the risk of getting into trouble is very low indeed. You'll probably need to do a health test at a Taiwanese hospital, and you should bring originals (or certified copies) or all relevant documents e.g. college degree, teaching qualifications, marriage certificate (if one of you is going to rely on the other for a spouse visa).

    May I humbly recommend my book:
    Taiwan: The Bradt Travel Guide?

    Best wishes and good luck,

    Steven Crook
Sign In or Register to comment.