Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with the forum guidelines:
Check out our country and city guides at

Would I be able to enter UK on my EU ID card(Italian) from South Africa

edited March 2011 in Europe
I have applied for our daughter to obtain an EU Residence Card (EEA2 application) through the UK Border Agency 5 months ago and had to send in my EU passport for this purpose. We have still not received the card although it is in process at the Home Office. I am loathe to request my passport back before the process is completed and if I do, I am not sure I will get it back in time. I intend to travel to South Africa (with my SA passport) in 3 weeks time.
My question is : Would I be able to leave and come back into the UK with only my EU ID card? I know I can do that from Europe, but can I do that from South Africa? Please help !


  • edited 11:53PM
    You can use your South African Passport to leave South Africa and your Italian ID card to enter the UK. I don’t see any problem that because you’re arriving to the UK from outside the EU you wouldn't be able to you to use your ID card to enter the UK.
Sign In or Register to comment.