Permanent residency in South Africa?

edited September 2012 in - Southern Africa
Hello my name is Chris... I am right now here in South Africa, and I'm entering with a tourist visa... soon the tourist visa will be converted to a volunteer visa because I have a friend who can grant the volunteer visa for me, and the volunteer visa will last for the next 3 years.

I have a question here, can I get a permanent residence after just (maybe one year) while the volunteer visa is still not expired?

Can I get a permanent residence if I have good skills in some kind of area? The situation is - I plan to work as a "freelance" graphic designer (not working at a company), so I won't be able to get a work permit... Will I be able to get a permanent residence after I work as a freelance graphic designer and show good skills? - I read on the home affairs website that permanent residence also applied for the "people who have great skills"... I don't know for whom is it applied for...

If I can't get much information about the visas / permanent residence permit and so on where should I ask? because I need this information, and someone who can guide me about this...

Thank you and please reply
Sincerely,

Chris
Tagged:

Comments

• edited 12:20AM
    Hi Chris,
    I don't know where you're from but I think your most reliable way to get information of this kind is from your embassy in South Africa. They should be able to help you with all these questions - that's what they are there for. If your country doesn't have an embassy in South Africa it may just be worth biting the bullet and contacting South African home affairs directly - you may have to wait a bit for information but at least when you get it you'll know it's accurate. If you do a bit of research on the web you're bound to turn up lots of information but it's hard to know what is accurate.