Is Morocco safe for travelers?

edited July 2009 in - North Africa
I need to attend a Meeting in Marrakech in september, but I am worried about safety issues during travel. I live in Mexico, so I know how a developing country can be misjudged as "unsafe".
Does anybody have any experience or suggestions about travel to Morocco?
Thanks,
Ivan

Comments

• edited November -1
    Hi,
    You'll be amazed how safe Morocco ingeneral, and Marrakech in particular are. Other than a bit of a hussle in the souks ( Markets ) from the vendors inviting you to their shops if you are on your own, there is absolutely nothing to worry about.
  • edited November -1
    Safety is generally not a problem in the busier, more touristy parts of Morocco. As said, if you stop to look at all the wonders of the souks you will be greeted by overzealous traders frantically trying to help you part with your money.
    Marrakech has the problem of pick-pockets but apart from the there are no serious crimes.
    Moroccans can be very friendly and helpful but occasionally they may want payment for taking you somewhere or even giving you basic information if they see you are curious.
    If you plan on staying in Morocco then travelling around is easy with either taxis, where you have to agree on a price if travelling some disatance, or by bus or coach to somewhere like Essaouira on the coast.
    There is so much to say about Morocco but then we do not know what specifically your interests are or how long you will be staying.
    jklejna@aol.com
  • edited November -1
    Ivan,

In general Morocco is an extremely safe and hospitable country. Marrakech is a wonderful city with a lot to offer the traveller. My advice if you are alone is to hire a guide for the day (or even 2 or 3 days). This way you will get to see as much as possible in a short amount of time. Of course, they will take you to shops where they get a commission but everyone is entitled to make a little bit aren't they.

Stop worrying and enjoy your visit to the Magrehb!!

Lesley
  • edited November -1
    Hello - I've been invited to visit Morocco, for maybe a month, by someone who lives there in Casablanca. Can u please tell me what time of year is best for a month trip. I don't like extreme heat or lots of rain. My friend wants to take me all around the country so I'm hoping for the best weather. Also, can I use my American Express and/or Visa card there? About how much money do u estimate I'll need for a whole month, local eating, staying in rental houses for a few days here and there (my friend said), rather than hotels. I also want to visit Ghana on the same trip. Thank you!
  • edited November -1
    Morocco is a safe place, one of the destinations with lowest crimes.
    You can visit my website dedicated to Morocco travel at http://www.gomorocco.com/
    there's ton of useful informations.
    hope this helps
  • edited November -1
    Sofree - the best time to visit Morocco for cooler weather is October/November and again in March/April/May. But your friend should be able to advise you on the best times. You can use your credit cards in the bigger cities but for the most part "cash is king" and you'll get better deals with cash. I have no idea on the costs of rental houses for a few days. the amount of money you take is hard to guess at - if you are also going to Ghana why not allow yourself US$100 per day (or is that not within your budget?). This way you will be covered for everything including emergencies.
  • edited November -1
    Morocco is one of the safest places in the world. The only problem you may face there is people will stare on you little bite because you look different. Some tourist don't like that and it bother them. But believe me all these eyes staring on you like you and they would like to talk to you. They are just want to be your friend. So if you don’t mind that, just go and have fan.
  • edited November -1
    Hi,

I am a female and will be traveling alone to morocco in late September. Everyone I talk to tells me its a bad idea and not safe to travel alone in morocco being a woman. Is this true? Can you offer me any advice. I feel like I will be fine but other people say no dont go. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • edited November -1
    Ignore the negative comments about travelling alone. getting about is easy and there are many wonderful sights to see however you'll be hassled by guides and traders alike.
    Many women go to Morocco alone and have a great time; wherever you go you will find men leering at you, this happens all the time so you just need to be aware of this and use common sense.
    Unles you are naturally flirtateous, ignore politely the advances of all males, they will have different resons for chatting you up.
    The main problem will be of language; if you speak French then this will help immensely although having said this, some taxi drivers do not even speak this.
    In restaurants, hotels, shops etc English will be spoken widely but not necessarilly to converstional standard.
  • edited November -1
    i would recommend to contact go-maroc.com company , they are totally trustworthy, I travelled with them and they speak English fluently.
  • edited November -1
    Morocco is safe and you don,t need to be worry!
    i advice you to contact this people: www.maisondusud.fr.gd
    they are in the desert of M
  • edited November -1
    Hey,
    I'm Moroccan and I appreciate when ppl used to say bout this country!!
    What they say is true, Don't even have any negative feeling! Just do it and I advice you to visit Merzouga ;)
    Have Fun!!
  • edited November -1
    anybody know how is the real state in casablanca
  • edited November -1
    This has nothing to do with travel; go their and visit any agent immobilier (estate agents).
  • edited November -1
    What would cost app. to hire a taxi for a day to take a trip in the surroundings of Marrakech.

Is it politi if women wear sandals in Marrakech - and other places in Marocco?

Is it unpolite that women do not wear scarf? I guess it does not matter in the cities. But, in the countryside?
  • edited November -1
    Flem - you need to make a price with the taxi driver for the day. Perhaps John will be able to give you a better idea of the cost for this. You can wear sandals of course, it's not a problem. Unless you are a Muslim then it is not a requirement for you to wear the scarf, however, perhaps dress a little more modestly than perhaps you would normally. Loose tops long skirts and trousers will make you feel more comfortable.
  • edited November -1
    looking to go on holiday to marrakesh in July, my friend is worried it might not be safe is it ok there at the moment?
  • edited November -1
    I am goint to Marakesh in April, just me and my daughter. Will it be safe? It makes me a little nervous that it is just us two girls, is there anything i should be wary of?
  • edited February 2011
    At the moment all is calm. Demonstrations were aimed to co-incide with 20 February, Independence Day.
    There was an incident a day ago in Marrakech where a few shops were ransacked but this was an isolated incident by kids who took advantage of the political unrest.
    Things settled very quickly whereby the mess was cleared up quickly and trading resumed.
    Other reports have been by Reuters of cars set alight which should be ignored - unless you are IN Marrakech or elsewhere then don't believe what you hear.
    Countries such as Libya, Tunisia and Egypt (others too) have had serious unrest as the people have been ruled by dictators for decades (Gaddafi 42 years in Libya!).
    Moroccans are asking King Mohammed VI to give up some of his powers and honour past promises of reforms; they are not asking for his removal.
    Morocco does have so called free elections but still there is poverty and lack of job opportunities for many, trade is not a huge earner for the country, tourism does bring in much needed currency but is retained by the well off.
    Many workers are low paid, earning typically €5 per day which is well below the stated national average.
    There is another forum which is hot on this subject, being updated very frequently; go to Trip Advisor's Marrakech thread Political Unrest and learn.
    As yet people are not cancelling their planned trips to Morocco, your travel company or travel agent should advise.
    In the UK, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (www.fco.gov.uk) has not placed any travel restrictions on travel to Morocco.
  • edited November -1
    Returned from Marrakesh last night (1/3/2011), weather fantastic people some of the freindliest I have met. A lot of street vendors and young children but if you do not show any interest in their items then they generally leave you alone. First time to Marrakesh and will definitely be returning again. Some of the restaurants (Indian and French) that we visited were quite exepnsive and the food was not that great. The best food we had was in the Riad.
  • edited November -1
    We have an upcoming trip to MOROCCO ist week of april. With the war happening in LIBYA, is it safe to travel to morocco?
  • edited November -1
    If you haven't heard anything of Morocco in the news then continue as planned.
    There are protest marches planeed at regular intervals but they are just that, marches and no more.
    People I know have just returned from Agadir and Marrakech and say there were no incidents of any kind.
  • edited November -1
    Hi Ivan,

It's understandable to be worried about travelling to Morocco after hearing about the protests last month. However, they were calm protests according to all the local and international news - including BBC world. The thing that makes the situation different to other countries that you would have heard about in the press (Libya, Egypt....) is that the Moroccan's are not trying to overthrow the government or the King. The King is loved across Morocco and the protesters were in fact protesting against high unemployment and other social issues. Since this happened the King made a speech and he reduced the cost of many everyday items like bread and it seems to have resolved the problem.

A collegue of mine had her parents out in Marrakesh at the time of the protests and she told me that they were not even aware that anything had gone on as it didn't distrupt her trip in any way. We also have a lot of customers still travelling around Morocco and they have told me the same thing so there is nothing to be worried about.

Keep an eye on the FCO website as they are always the most cautious in these situations. At the moment they have not changed their advice and are still saying that it is safe to travel around Morocco so go and have a great time in Marrakesh!
  • edited November -1
    Despite the recent protests in the Middle East and North Africa, Morocco remains a safe place to travel as the small protests there have been peaceful. Keep an eye on the Foreign Office Advice before you travel, as they update their information daily, but it doesn't look like Morocco is going to flair up like countries such as Morocco.
  • edited November -1
    My Daughter and her boyfriend are planning a trip to Morocco in June. Do you think its safe enough as regards political unrest? and in general? is it safe enough at night going out etc...
  • edited November -1
    Look mate, as said there is NO political unrest, there are NO reports of violent protests and NO goverment troops on the streets.
    As for the rest....
    You have not stated where in Morocco your daughter and bf are going; it is a very big country.
    June will be crowded with tourists, many of these will be Moroccans going home for their vacation from europe where they work.
    Again, depending on where you, or rather they, will be, it can be safe or not at night. In big cities where there are many people just walking and enjoying the evenings there will be no trouble. If out in the wilderness then a different story, perhaps.
    Keep to busy areas, keep wallets safely concealed, do not display large amounts of cash...in other words use common sense and all will be fine.
    Make the most of the trip and don't get paranoid at every corner. If you are staying in a riad then ask them to write the name of paper in English and Arabic so you can show a passer-by or taxi driver should you get lost.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks for the update johnk9159 ..
  • edited November -1
    Hi my husband and I plan to travel to Marrakech 4 May 2011. We are staying in a Riad but are concerned about safety issues after the awful events of yesterday 28 April 2011. Can anyone advise what the situation is like at the present. Many thanks
  • edited November -1
    At present Jemaa el Fna is crammed full of tourists, some of whom are asking "what happened".
    Even though this event has shaken many people, they are still arriving.
    The FCO in UK has warnings on its website although has not imposed or advised travelling restrictions.
    I suggest you check with the relevant government office dealing with travel advice for your countries.
  • edited November -1
    Hi, just returned from Morocco in April 2011 and in all honesty found it all very hyped up. Just in two days the novelty fades with constant hassel from moroccan people who apparently are very poor.It may seem exotic but for a short while with nothing much exciting to see other than a few silly overpriced excursions outside Marrakesh. The place is dirty & dusty with a lot of traffic and noise pollution with no concept of food hygiene whatsoever. The people appear friendly but only to rip your pockets. There were a lot of protests by local people and I would not consider it safe for anyone to travel to Morroco anymore.

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler