Safety in Jordan, Syria and Iran

2»

Comments

• edited 3:26PM
    I am writing to Mitra...
    i am an iranian/australian Guy who run tours to iran and syria.
    if you are traveling to iran and want to stay in Hotel with Your G/F then you WILL NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEM( JUST IF YOU ARE NOT IRANIAN)... for foreigner staying in same room and checking in in a same time its truly OK.
    hi,
    i just back from amman,for FYI all the hotel reception will ask for marriage certificate if the couple is jordanian or 1 of them is jordanian,i hv to cancel my hotel booking at 1 of the hotel just because of this problem as my boyfriend is jordanian and i am from malaysia.As a solution we have to go to another 5 star hotel and i check in alone and my bf came later.if both of u foreigner it will be easy and nobody care.
    I have a similar question to Ema as I might be heading to Jordan and Syria next year with male friend who is gay (not obviously gay) but he has concerns about being perceived as gay in certain parts of the world (the Middle East being one area of concern). I am female and we want to share a room with him as this is more affordable so we could be contrued as a couple which might help him relax about it, but as an unmarried couple....someone told me we need to pretend to be a married couple to share a room. Is this really necessary??? We are thinking of heading to Damascus and Alleppo and seeing Petra, Aqaba and the Wadi Rum in Jordan. Anyone who has any useful experience or advice for these places would be appreciated - thanks
    Hi, we are 2 ladies planning a travel to Jordan, syria and lebanon early next year. Is there anything we should be worried about?
    this is a general answer to those of you who are not married and wish to share a room with your partner etc. Firstly you are coming to Islamic countries and you need to respect the laws and culture just as you would anywhere. Secondly, foreigners are rarely asked if they are married. If you are asked then it is up to you how you respond. You may have to purchase another room but personally I think it will not be a problem.
    Adamou - Damascus and Aleppo are wonderful cities and I hope you will allow yourself plenty of time to look around. Petra is huge and you should allow yourself a minimum of 2 full days to just see the highlights there. If you have questions about Jordan and Syria please take a look at my website (I'm not selling you anything) for an idea about what you can see and do.

I hope you will enjoy your time
    Beans,

I know Jordan and Syria very well and I love both of these countries. Of course you need to be aware of your surroundings and protect your personal property but I think there is nothing that you should be overly concerned with. Yes, you will be admired, chatted up etc etc but use humour to deflect attention and enjoy yourselves. One thing I do advise all ladies whatever their age, is to dress more conservatively and modestly than perhaps you would in your home country. Keep in mind the culture of these countries, respect it and you will get it back thousandfold.
    Hi everyone, and Lesley! I am reviewing travel safety in Jordan and keep reading that there is a continual low-grade terrorist threat and a degree of anti-American and anti-Western sentiment. Has anyone had any experience of hostility in any form while visiting Jordan?
    Hi David,

Throughout the ME and North Africa there is some anti-American sentiment, however, the majority of people recognise that it is the politics of the governments concerned and not necessarily the wishes of the American people. I am sure that the western governments are very conservative when it comes to travel warnings but in my opinion these are also politically motivated. The countries where everyone needs to be extremely cautious in my opinion are: Algeria, Yemen, Pakistan, Iraq, Iran. Of course these are just my personal feelings. Jordan is an extremely safe country. There is security wherever there are tourists. My advice is for westerners to stick to the tourist routes, sites and hotels and there should be no problems. Jordanians are hospital, warm and very welcoming from my experiences there. Of course, like anywhere else, tourists and visitors should be aware of their personal belongings and what is happening around them at all times.