Best currency for Turkey?

Comments

• edited 5:00PM
    Hi Ned and others
    A very good website to check for weather forecasts is www.wunderground.com
    I find it fairly accurate.
    Hi, thanks for that I have read all the thread so i'm pretty much ready now and all your advise will get used by us, thanks again, Tracy
    Hi again, do you know the best places to visit (that will be open in December) we quite like going off the beaten track (safely of course) we are staying at the Voyage Belek Spa Hotel, Thanks again, Tracy
    Depends what you like to see and do!!
    There's so much available here. Antalya is a year round resort area so there's always plenty going on.
    Aspendos is well worth a visit as is Perge - 2 ancient sites. Perge is less "developed" and still being excavated.
    Side is lovely to visit and stroll aorund.
    A day wandering around Antalya city is great. Stroll along the seaside and stop of for a (very cheap) cay (tea) and watch the world go by. Wander through Kaleci (the old town). I love the museum as well 15 Turkish Lira entrance for adults and I;m sure it's less for kids. A lovely journey through the history of the area. Lots of atefacts recovered from Roman sites as well as recreations of traditional houses and costumes.
    I'm not terribly familiar with Belek itself living on the other side of Antalya. sorry. But I am sure there are some nice walks etc. There's always good places to walk in Turkey!
    If you plan on booking any tours, day trips etc book with the local guys not your travel rep - the trips are often double the price through the reps!
    Thanks, we have looked up on net and agree that the museum is definately a must, Thanks Tracy
    Maybe start off with the museum - it may then give you idea of anything else you'd like to visit! Also the cafe there selling drinks and cakes etc is very reasonable! A nice break sat in the museum grounds surrounded by even more artefacts.
    Hi,
    Have been sitting here for an hour reading this forum and have to say I am very impressed with how helpful and friendly people are. Im taking my you family to Turgutries in a few weeks and am both excited and nervous as never been to Turkey before. We are staying AI, but like to go out and about.
    I have Euros, USD from previous holidays and obviously £GBP but still not sure which to take, or if Turkish lira would be better? Maybe a mixture?
    Am also slightly confussed about the weather, I have been looking on 2 different weather sites and 1 says hot and dry, the other says warm(ish) and rain....any ideas?
    And should i really take chocolate to tip?
    Hello JoJo, if you take the USD, the Euros and UKP you will have no problem spending any of them. The shop owners and vendors will happily take all.
    With regard to the weather in a couple of weeks time temperature will be in the high 70's /low 80's and I don't think you will see any rain.
    Chocolate wise, it will proberbly melt from the time you get of the plane until you get to your hotel, Play safe and tip in Lira.
    Hi JoJo
    As Squash says bring all the currencies you have left from previous holidays but it's a good idea to exchange £100 or so for the first few days while you get your bearings. Don't change any sterling into any other currency though and the exchange rate to lira is always slightly better here than in the UK.

I suspect by the time you get to Turgutreis it will be hot and sunny! Turgutreis is a lovely place and it's good to get out and about to explore the area. The sunsets at that end of the peninsula are fabulous especially while enjoyed sipping a cool drink! The Saturday market is great fun. Be prepared to barter though and don't be afraid to walk away. Decide what you want to pay for the item but try to be non-aggresive and a smile works wonders.

It's more than worth taking a dolmus to Gumusluk. A relatively unspoilt resort. You can get the bus at the dolmus station in Turgutreis. There are some fabulous fish restaurants along the sea front. Remember if you eat at one they sell the fish by weight so always ascetain the price before hand. Otherwise there is a nice place selling kofte (meatballs) in bread on the front and soft drinks which is very reasonable. Rabbit Island is walkable to from the beach but last time I heard it was being excavated. Check out www.gumusluk.org for more information.

Take a day and go into Bodrum itself. Again getting a dolmus from Turgutreis dolmus station. The castle is well worth visiting, allow at least a couple of hours to explore it. It's closed on Mondays. The views from the top of the walls are wonderful.

Book a boat trip from the guys in Turgutreis. A very relaxing day for around £10 a person which includes lunch but drinks are generally extra. The boats stop off at a number of bays for swimming, snorkelling etc. Remember the high factor sun cream as the strength of the sun can be deceptive on the water.

There is a large aqua park on the road from Bodrum to Turgutreis. Most of the local tour shops offer excursions there. Far easier than going yourself and transfers are usually from your hotel. Again remember the high factor cream as there isn't much shade there. Once there you put money on a card then lock all your belongings in locker.

Also if you want to book any trips book them through the local tour companies rather than your travel rep. The trips can be up to half price. The travel reps may try to convince you that you're not insured - you are!!! What else do you have travel insurance for? :o)

Tipping - please tip in lira. These people work incredibly long hours for very low wages. Chocolate etc is nice as a treat but as Squash says it will probably melt! Just tip discreetly in your hotel but if you have a meal or drinks outside generally a 10-15% tip is normal and appreciated. I used to leave behing toiletries etc as well which are very appreciated.

Don't forget your £10 each for your visa and most of all have a great time :o)
    Hi Clare
    I'm going to Marmaris next week and never been there before, do you have any tips on places to eat,drink and trips to take?
    Thank you in advance

Darren
    Hiya,

Im going to Antalya on Monday, and wondering what best currency is to take - as getting confused. Travel agents did advise Euro's were best to take - however reading through comments maybe Turkish Lira is best to take or mixture? We dont have any Euros left over from prev holiday - so means that we would have to exchange.

Also wondering of any nice restaurants to goto in Antalya?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)
    Hi,

My sister and I are going to Istanbul on the 15th of May 2011. I would like to know which currency is best to take as we are from South Africa. We have some American Dollars left from a previous holiday and some Euros but not enough to sustain us for the 10 days we are in Turkey... What currency is best for us? And where should we change it?

We are also looking to go South to Ephesus, Pamukkale, etc... What is the best way to get there travelling down the coast and keeping in mind we have only 10 days in Turkey??? Is it a good idea or rather a trip on its own at some other time???

Please help...

Thanx in advance:)!!!
    Julie, Travel agents often recommend Euros - I thnk it's because lots of prices are displayed in Euro but this is to make life easier. Before the Euro they were displayed in GBP, French Franc etc etc, There are lots of good restaurants in Antalya - where are you staying?
    Sorry don't know Marmaris very well at all - I last went there over 10 years ago. One thing though whatever trips you do book them with the locals rather than through your travel rep - so much cheaper for the same trip.
    Claudi, Ephesus is amazing one of my favourite places in Turkey. So worth a trip there. Maybe look to fly from Istanbul to either Izmir or Bodrum (BJV) airport if time is short. Pegasus www.flypgs.com) usually have some good deals on domestic flights as do Atlas.
    All of Turkey has plenty of ATMs and you can pay in most restaurants with both debit and credit cards.
    Hi im going to turkey in three weeks time to wow tokapi palace on lara beach all inclusive, how much spending money do you think i need there will be me my partner and three children were staying for a week, and are there any trips you can recommend. thankyou.
    Depends whether you intend eating out at all and what trips would interest you.
    Most excursion companies accept credit/debit cards and there are ATMs you can withdraw money from. Do check what charges your bank levies though to draw money abroad.
    I'd suggest exchanging maybe £100-£200 into lira to bring with you then see how you go. If you bring cash to exchange make sure you have a safe at the hotel and exchanging money at the hotel is usually a poorer rate of exchange. It's the incidental drinks outside your hotel that can sometimes add up especially with children!
    Book trips with the local companies in Lara rather than your travel rep. Aspendos is worth visiting as is Perge. A boat trip is a relaxing day as well. The museum in Antalya is fascinating. Though as you are here for a week make the most of relaxing in the sun!
    Hello DeeDee, a couple of years ago my sister went all inclusive to a similar hotel just a little further down the beach than Topkapi Palace and during her 10 day she did not spend a penny (ha ha). Seriously she didn’t spend any money until she had to get her car out of the car park at Stansted.
    Clareg has given you good advice and you won’t go far wrong if you follow it. I would add that you certainly should have travel insurance and take a credit card for emergencies.
    Hi we are going to the belkon hotel complex in Belek in August,mixed reviews on trip advisor,has anybody been?? also was wondering what the best market to go to is,what days are they on and if it is best to take Sterling or Lira to spend at the market.

Thank you
    Can't help with the hotel sorry or local market days as I live on the other side of Antalya but I'm sure Squash the Toad will be along to help as he visits Belek often.
    Take a mixture of GBP and Lira to the market. but either work out a ready reckoner of the exchange rate or decide in GBP what you are prepared to pay before you go as it can get confusing int he market and not all traders are as scrupulous as we would like to think!!!
    Also read between the lines of a review - some people would complain that Aladdin's cave was damp and dark! See what the main gripes are and whether they actually really bother you. Also a lot of people "complain" when they get home and write bad reviews but have not reported faults to hotel reception etc so the hotels haven't had a chance to rectify the situation. I remember reading one damning review of a hotel and the main gripe was that there were not top sheets for the beds. In Turkey it is usual to have a pike which is a heavier embossed cotton sheet as a top cover. These were what the reviewer was moaning about! I'm sure if they'd asked the hotel they would have changed them.....
    Squash the toad & Clarecg both give good advice on Antalya and it's surrounding areas. I myself found Belek a great town. It's not too big but very friendly. I think the market day is on a Sunday? But i'm sure Squash the toad will correct me if i'm wrong. I took a mixture of GBP & Lira. I think i'm right in saying that GBP & Euros are more welcome than Turkish Lira because of the value of them both, but they accept just about any money even Rubles. Haggle hard over the prices on the markets, they really don't mind. eg: something for 20 Lira you should be looking at paying 8 - 10 Lira after haggleing. If you don't like the price on offer walk away. Like Clarecg says, people come home and moan about all sorts that are not even important and give a hotel a bad name, instead of going and asking for what they want. "Do they think the hotel staff are mind readers" I read one review complaining there were loads forginers and not enough English. Don't be put off i'm sure you'll enjoy it there. Hope this info is of use.
    Thanks very much for your replys chaps,much appreciated !
    Market day is on Saturday in Belek. Probably the best time to go is early morning as it starts to close in the early afternoon. There is also a market on a Tuesday in Kadriye which is a little bit further and you can get there by catching the Antalya bus down on the main road. Both markets are very good but tend to be the same vendors .You can get a lovely lunch at the Roman bar if you are out for the day and miss the lunchtime at your hotel. The best market though is in Serik, all day Friday
    If you like markets - then you could try nearby places like Side Saturday market which is on all day until around 5pm - or Manavgat market on a Monday or Thursday and is very colourful and TRULY local all the Taurus mountain ladies coming down for the day to sell their fresh fruit and veg.
    A trip to S?de would be worth your while, they have Roman ruins by the plenty - an active amphitheatre, turtles, cobbled streets and a new walkway that goes on for miles along the coastline with little bars and restaurants you can pop into for a freshly squeezed pomegranate or orange juice
    There are buses that go from Belek daily - leaving around 10am and returning around 3.30pm for only about 8TL each way.
    The Belkon Hotel is a family run hotel and tucked away, not been myself though, its official rating is 3 star AI. Price for a standard twin in Belek range from £40 to £250+ in the high season. The Belkon is not a £250 a night hotel go with an open mind don’t expect lots of luxuries and you will have a very good holiday. The hotel offers a value for money stay in a traditional Turkish setting. A shuttle bus service is provided for the 1.8km to the sandy beach, and the hotel has its own half olympic size swimming pool.
    Thanks very much Toad,excellent informative reply,my wife was wanting to go on a boat trip,the one you have lunch on,do you the best place to book it and how much we would be looking to pay for it?
    Cheers for correcting me Toby, I wasn't sure if it was Saturday or Sunday being market day.
    If you go into Belek you will find small tour operators where you can book boat trips .They will pick you up and drop you back at your hotel, these trips are far cheaper than the likes of Thomas Cook. If you want you can get the bus into Antalya and you will see lots of boats tied up in the old harbour who advertise boat trips. Sorry I don't know the current prices but I remember them being very reasonable.
    who the flip is "Toby" Froggy?
    Hi Tex. Found this info on the following website regarding boat trips. Hope this helps.

http://www.vudaa.com/Boattrip-346.html

Boat-Trip-Tours-cruise can be arranged in Antalya -Belek -Kemer-Side-Alanya -Marmaris - Bodrum -Kusadasi -Fethiye and istanbul.

Price: per person: 35 - EUR.

Don't leave it to chance that you will be able to get on a boat Trip-Tours once you are in Turkey Antalya area, as these cruises are very popular during peak season.

Experience an unforgettable day with us, all day at the mediterranean sea with crystal-clear water, heavenly bays and the visit of the antique sides of mediterranean.

With this exclusive Trip, you go from the marina on board of a 24 m long wood-boat.This amazing day start while we pick you up around 9.00 am from your hotel and return you back around 15.30 pm.which gives you 5-6 hours of total enjoyment of your soul.

Along the beautiful coast, swimming-stops become u on occasion. a. at the legendary paradise-bay, with turquoise-blue and crystal-clear water.While your are relaxing and taking a sun bath our staff will prepare the lunch on the boat, in form of an open buffet and Bar B Q.

Option time: 2 days

Minimum participant: 2

Tour-date: every day

What's included:

Pick up and drop off to your hotel for the the tour
    Delicious lunch
    Unlimited Drinks-Beverages
    VIP treatment
    Guide (English, German ,French ;RUSSIAN speaking).
    All of the tax and service charges
    100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Thats sounds excellent and very reasonable,good work Froggy,thanks very much for your help !
    Sorry about that Toad a slip of the finger. "Ha ha ha"
    Hi, my daughter is going to Icmeler in August with her boy friend. They are unsure of how much money to take in TL and £'s for the week. They are self catering but will probably eat out every day, how much e.g. breakfast, dinner, beer,wine, taxi's etc into Marmaris. any help would be much appreciated.
  • edited May 2011
    I'd suggest they change around £100 each before travelling to see them through the first few days. They'll then not have the stress of finding somewhere to exchange while they are finding their bearings. Also they'll have cash to buy water/snacks on their transfer from the airport. A good tip is to do a "shop" to stock up on drinks etc for their apartment, I always used to buy plenty of juice etc as it's the incidental drinks around the pool etc that really add up over a week. We also used to throw a couple of boxes of breakfast cereal in our luggage as it weighs next to nothing but is useful for breakfast or late night snacks! If they have a favourite spirit tipple buy it in duty free then they can enjoy a drink on their balcony before heading out for the evening. Imported spirits are expensive in Turkey.
    A daily allowance of around £40 each should be enough depending on what they intend to do. Take an ATM card so they can withdraw money if they need to.
    As they are going in August they will probably need to pay for air conditioning at their apartments. This is usually paid locally unless already included. If they want to do any trips advise them to book through the local companies rather than their travel rep. A boat trip is around £10-12 each for the day including lunch but not drinks which you buy on board.
    I'm not sure of current taxi prices in Icmeler but much cheaper would be to find the dolmus (bus).
    Hope they have a lovely time :o)
This discussion has been closed.